F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton reveals his top three rivals
a425couple
2018-01-28 00:52:40 UTC
F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton reveals his top three rivals
By Jonathan Noble, Ben Anderson @BenAndersonAuto Published on Saturday
January 27th 2018 Formula 1 RSS feed

(Hamilton's stated opinions are interesting,,, unlike some
who think Alonso is far over the hill, also in not even
mentioning Botas!)

Cadillacs in front in first hour, Alonso 14th
3hr IMSA
The highs and lows of Sainz's second Dakar win
8hr DAKAR

Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton has named the three drivers he
sees as his biggest rivals on the current grand prix grid.

Hamilton, who claimed the fourth F1 championship crown of his career in
2017, identified McLaren's Fernando Alonso, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel
and Red Bull's Max Verstappen as the three drivers he must watch out for
most.

When asked which of those three he would most have to watch if Mercedes,
Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull all produced cars of a similar level of
competitiveness, Hamilton replied: "We're the four strongest drivers.

"I really hope we are all in the fight next year. It would be friggin'
amazing."

Hamilton enjoyed wheel-to-wheel battles with all three at various points
in 2017, allowing him to build a portfolio of knowledge on how to handle
each of them.

"You look at them all slightly differently," added Hamilton, who said it
was possible to measure the differences between all four drivers in
"millimetres".

"They all have different characteristics. Sebastian, for example, from
this year, you could say: 'Give more space' - not in a negative way.

"Max takes a lot of risks. Also, you have to give [him] more space, but
he is more inexperienced than the other guys.

"Fernando - toughest driver there is, so you have to keep that utmost
respect for each other, but you've really got to play your cards right
to utilise the racecraft.

"His racecraft is mighty, but Max's racecraft is very impressive [too]."

How Verstappen became Hamilton's greatest threat

Hamilton suggested Verstappen would become an even bigger threat once he
builds more experience, having only raced in F1 for three seasons.

"He's doing wonderful things, but he is going to grow so much over the
next 10 years," Hamilton said.

"I don't think it will a problem, it'll just be freaking tough [to beat
him].

"Wouldn't that be a fight? Even I'd pay to see that."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134076/hamilton-reveals-his-top-three-f1-rivals
m***@gmail.com
2018-01-28 06:36:36 UTC
Post by a425couple
F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton reveals his top three rivals
January 27th 2018 Formula 1 RSS feed
(Hamilton's stated opinions are interesting,,, unlike some
who think Alonso is far over the hill, also in not even
mentioning Botas!)
Meh. What Bottas proved in 2017 is that Rosberg was better than he was given credit for.

Otherwise, the only mildly interesting bit, as you say, is that he still regards Alonso very highly as a race driver - though I think he always did.
Bigbird
...than you gave hime credit for...
t***@gmail.com
2018-01-28 22:13:02 UTC
...than you gave hime credit for...
Take your ...'s, and shove
them up your stinkhole vagina.
Bigbird
2018-01-29 07:26:07 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
...than you gave him credit for...
Take your ...'s, and shove
them up your stinkhole vagina.
There, there Bobby...

...what a very emotional little person you are...
Willsy
2018-01-30 15:31:20 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
That he doesn't mention Bottas indicates to me that he knows that Bottas is
contractually the number two driver, and thus is not a threat. Unless he
(Bottas) goes "off the reservation".
alister
2018-01-30 16:18:57 UTC
Post by Willsy
F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton reveals his top three rivals By
Saturday
Post by Willsy
That he doesn't mention Bottas indicates to me that he knows that Bottas
is contractually the number two driver, and thus is not a threat. Unless
he (Bottas) goes "off the reservation".
Or possibly, Based on last years results, he just does not think that
Bottas is as big a threat as the others.
--
Morton's Law:
If rats are experimented upon, they will develop cancer.
m***@gmail.com
2018-01-30 16:44:21 UTC
Post by alister
Post by Willsy
That he doesn't mention Bottas indicates to me that he knows that Bottas
is contractually the number two driver, and thus is not a threat. Unless
he (Bottas) goes "off the reservation".
Or possibly, Based on last years results, he just does not think that
Bottas is as big a threat as the others.
Yes. Besides, Bottas has only a one year contract, so Merc don't have much of a contractual hold over him anyway.

Plus look at last year's form.
a425couple
2018-01-30 23:56:05 UTC
Post by alister
Post by Willsy
Post by a425couple
F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton reveals his top three rivals
Hamilton, who claimed the fourth F1 championship crown of his career in
2017, identified McLaren's Fernando Alonso, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel
and Red Bull's Max Verstappen as the three drivers he must watch out
for most.
When asked which of those three he would most have to watch if
Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull all produced cars of a similar
level of competitiveness, Hamilton replied: "We're the four strongest
drivers.
That he doesn't mention Bottas indicates to me that he knows that Bottas
is contractually the number two driver, and thus is not a threat. Unless
he (Bottas) goes "off the reservation".
Or possibly, Based on last years results, he just does not think that
Bottas is as big a threat as the others.
I'm just a bit surprised.
In the long back past, WDCs would try to say nice
things to, and about their team mates.

Jody Scheckter certainly talked nicely about Giles Villeneuve.
m***@gmail.com
I think that you had to go that far back shows how uncommon that situation really is.
a425couple
2018-02-01 23:22:01 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by a425couple
I'm just a bit surprised.
In the long back past, WDCs would try to say nice
things to, and about their team mates.
Jody Scheckter certainly talked nicely about Giles Villeneuve.
I think that you had to go that far back shows how uncommon that situation really is.
I think my mentioning of those 2 had more to do with
other reading I was doing, than trying to think
back wards in time.

As for 2 team mates that seemed very willing to support
each other, I'd suggest Raikkonen and Massa at Ferrari.
Each were doing well, and both were very much in the
WDC hunt for 3/4 of the year. Then Massa fell out
of the points chase, and he definitely helped
Raikkonen win the WDC, and Ferrari the WCC.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-02 03:08:46 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by a425couple
I'm just a bit surprised.
In the long back past, WDCs would try to say nice
things to, and about their team mates.
Jody Scheckter certainly talked nicely about Giles Villeneuve.
I think that you had to go that far back shows how uncommon that situation really is.
I think my mentioning of those 2 had more to do with
other reading I was doing, than trying to think
back wards in time.
As for 2 team mates that seemed very willing to support
each other, I'd suggest Raikkonen and Massa at Ferrari.
Each were doing well, and both were very much in the
WDC hunt for 3/4 of the year. Then Massa fell out
of the points chase, and he definitely helped
Raikkonen win the WDC, and Ferrari the WCC.
Yes, but that's not the same as talking each other up to the press. Not that Kimi is particularly talkative.

In 1978 Andretti was complementary about Peterson (and vice versa)
In 1979 It was Gilles and Jody - and the spirit, if not the results, may have carried on into 1980.

But the 1980 champ was Jones, who was publicly dismissive of his teammate, and not talking to him, by the end of the next season.

Piquet didn't get much of a threat from within until he went to Williams, and then he was rude to Mansell (and Mrs Mansell).

Prost seems to have fallen out with teams and teammates quite often.

Prost and Senna - don't go there.

They didn't all put their teammates down, it's true, but how many post Scheckter talked them up.

Before Scheckter, BTW, we had Lauda not being that thrilled about Reutemann.

In the car it may be different and one might drive for the team - but usually only when one's own championship is over.

Which brings us back to Scheckter and Villeneuve - a remarkable partnership because of the way they operated right from the start of the season, kept on operating and could trust each other to operate.
alister
2018-01-31 16:16:32 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by alister
Post by Willsy
Post by a425couple
[...]
Where did lewis say anything unkind or derogatory about Bottas?
he listed 3 that he considered his biggest threat, he did not mention
Bottas at all , certainly did not say he was not a threat.
if you want to imply this from this omission then tat is down to you
--
From the cradle to the coffin underwear comes first.
-- Bertolt Brecht