A miracle to end all miracles
Add Reply
Willsy
2019-07-29 16:38:59 UTC
After massive time penalties to both Alfa Romeo drivers, Kubica (and Hamilton) have actually been awarded points after yesterday's Grand Prix.

Miracle.
Michael Gooding
2019-07-29 18:23:56 UTC
Apparently mimicking traction control by delaying match of torque to demand (he cut and pasted unashamedly).

If deliberate, did they really think they'd get away with it? If not, seems pretty slack by today's standards.

The appeal is going to be interesting. Autosport think it'll get rejected, meaning points for Lewis which is obviously always good.

Mike Gooding
----------------
Darryl Johnson
2019-07-29 18:53:22 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
Apparently mimicking traction control by delaying match of torque to demand (he cut and pasted unashamedly).
If deliberate, did they really think they'd get away with it? If not, seems pretty slack by today's standards.
The appeal is going to be interesting. Autosport think it'll get rejected, meaning points for Lewis which is obviously always good.
Mike Gooding
----------------
Didn't I read that the FIA admitted that the penalties were the result
of an error in timing and scoring? I'm sure that I read that because
the Alfas pitted later, they were still on the first or second laps
under the yellow, which required a slower speed; the rest of the field
was on the third or fourth lap and were thus allowed to go faster,
making it seem like the Alfas were going slower than permitted under
the rules. Once the FIA sorted that out, the penalty was rescinded.
Michael Gooding
2019-07-29 19:02:01 UTC
Dang.
Darryl Johnson
2019-07-29 19:51:00 UTC
Dang.
Not so fast Darryl! I seem to have confused/conflated two separate
penalties. Seems there was another for something to do with the clutch
systems on the Alfas. I haven't heard anything yet about an appeal or
the results thereof for that one.
Calum
2019-07-30 00:22:15 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
If deliberate, did they really think they'd get away with it? If not, seems pretty slack by today's standards.
Fwiw, their explanation was that the safety car laps meant they weren't
able to do any practice starts in the standing start conditions, so they
hadn't been able to tune the clutch parameters accordingly. The result
of the ones they did use was a more gradual application of torque than
is allowed.

As you say, they would surely have known these things are checked. And
given they really weren't even close to the required limits on either
car (out by factors of a bit less than 3 and a bit more than 4,
respectively), it sounds to me like somebody did just mess up.
John
2019-07-29 20:14:59 UTC
Was more evidence needed to prove that F1 has way to many rules?
Bigbird
2019-07-30 05:22:51 UTC
Post by John
Was more evidence needed to prove that F1 has way to many rules?
You have a problem with disallowing driver aids?
--
Trump fact check:
5,000 false claims in the first 117 weeks.
Pretending that doesn't bother you is a mental disorder.
John
These are supposed to be the most advanced cars on the planet.
Bigbird
2019-07-30 10:23:51 UTC
Post by John
Post by Bigbird
Post by John
Was more evidence needed to prove that F1 has way to many rules?
You have a problem with disallowing driver aids?
These are supposed to be the most advanced cars on the planet.
I don't know what you think you have been watching but no they are not.
There are myriad regulations designed to prevent that. The average
family car has half a dozen systems more advanced than F1 cars.

It is purported to be to be the pinnacle of motorsport; which in many
opinions, including my own, means that the driver ability is a
significant differentiator.
t***@gmail.com
2019-07-31 06:05:40 UTC
I don't know what you think you have been watching
oh my
t***@gmail.com
2019-07-31 06:22:04 UTC
I don't know
Yup all day.
Out Cider
2019-07-31 15:05:38 UTC
Post by Willsy
After massive time penalties to both Alfa Romeo drivers, Kubica (and
Hamilton) have actually been awarded points after yesterday's Grand
Prix.
Yes.
Post by Willsy
Miracle.