Racetrack photographer 'from the stars' returns to Earth ,Images
a425couple
2018-10-05 14:55:50 UTC
from
https://racer.com/2018/10/04/racetrack-photographer-from-the-stars-returns-to-earth/

(Best to go to the above citation, and read and view this online.)

Racetrack photographer 'from the stars' returns to Earth
Images taken by Andrew Feustel
3.4k
SHARES
SHARE
TWEET
EMAIL
By: RACER Staff | 22 hours ago

Astronaut, racer and racing photographer “from” the stars Andrew “A.J.”
Feustel is back on Earth, completing a 197-day mission aboard the
International Space Station.

Feustel, flight engineer Ricky Arnold and Soyuz commander Oleg Artemyev
from Russian space agency Roscosmo touched down at 7:44 a.m. ET on
Thursday after finishing his command of Expedition 56, the fifth and
final mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope that improved the
observatory’s capabilities through 2014. Among his distinguished
accomplishments, Dr. Feustel served on the crew of STS‐125, the final
space shuttle mission to the Hubble Space Telescope, and he also
launched on Space Shuttle Endeavour’s final mission to the International
Space Station on STS‐134.

From up above, Feustel – who’s told his 29,000 Twitter followers he
raced Enduro Karts as a youth at Road America – has been capturing
photos of the world’s most recognizable racetracks during his time more
than 200 miles above us.

“It’s pretty tricky,” Feustel said of the process in an interview with
the Indy Star and James Hinchcliffe from the ISS in May. “It takes a lot
of effort and a lot of time … the windows we use are quite small, about
12 inches in diameter, and so I sort of have to plan. The ground gives
me a good heads up when the targets are coming or at least a map that
lets me zoom in on what it is I want to take a picture of. And they
provide some products that show a picture of what it might look like
from, say, 250 miles away, 50 miles away, and then zoomed in.

“So I look for those features on the ground, and when the time is right
and the clouds are clear, I can snap usually several pictures in the
time it takes to pass overhead, which is between two to eight minutes
depending on the angle of approach coming over the top.”

“You’d be surprised at how many shots I’ve missed and how many times
I’ve been down there looking out the window and realized something
passed me right by. When you look through this lens, all I see is
something that’s the size of a couple football fields, maybe 10 football
fields laid out in a square. So what I see without looking through the
lens and what I see looking through the lens is totally different. So I
have to aim the whole camera in the general direction and hope that I
see it, and then start a scan pattern with my eye, and all this while
traveling 300 miles a minute.”

Here’s a look at some of Feustel’s work from space:

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
***@IndyCar is racing at my favourite track in the US, where I raced
Enduro Karts many times in my youth. What a thrill to see the cars roar
uphill toward turn 1! Wishing I could be there with the fans. A track
that seemed so quiet and peaceful from above is heating up for summer.

5:17 PM - Jun 22, 2018
780
149 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
Hello #Montreal and @F1 race fans. As a dual US/Canadian citizen, I
wish I could be there with you in beautiful Montreal. What a great venue
for a racing weekend. #CanadianGP #F1

6:11 PM - Jun 8, 2018
1,523
329 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
Hello to my home town #Detroit! It’s always great to see @IndyCar back
at @detroitgp for the doubleheader IndyCar weekend in Michigan. #INDYCAR
#DetroitGP

8:30 AM - Jun 2, 2018
1,130
267 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
Big weekend for @IndyCar racing. The @Space_Station crew wishes all
drivers and teams a safe and successful race on Sunday! Can’t wait until
the green flag waves. #INDYCAR #Indy500

3:48 PM - May 25, 2018
2,684
930 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
***@PaulRicardTrack provides an incredibly colorful view from
@Space_Station along the Mediterranean coast. Great to see the
competition ignite up as the season progresses. Ready for lights out on
Sunday! #F1 #FrenchGP

5:42 PM - Jun 22, 2018
1,450
493 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
I will admit that this picture has eluded me for 3 months. Now that
the weather has cleared I can easily spot the @ttcircuitassen from
@Space_Station and it looks fantastic. I hope the @MotoGP fans have fun
and the racers all stay on the leaders pace! #TTAssen #MotoGP #DutchGP

8:12 AM - Jun 29, 2018
1,146
326 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
A beautiful setting as viewed from @Space_Station for the iconic @F1
@SilverstoneUK. A cornerstone race in the heart of F1 motorsports
territory. Ready for ‘Lights Out’ on Sunday! #BritishGP #F1

7:14 AM - Jul 7, 2018
1,235
376 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
Great #CzechGP race this weekend in the beautiful #CzechRepublic city
of #Brno – the mother of my wife @IndiraFeustel grew up in this town &
we have many relatives & friends from the region. Wishing @MotoGP teams
& riders all the best. Wish we could be there to watch the action…

8:24 AM - Aug 4, 2018
564
143 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
The backdrop for the @IndyCar race this weekend at @poconoraceway
could not be in a more beautiful setting. I hope the weather subsides
and the skies clear to reveal the stunning countryside. Wishing fans and
teams a safe and fast weekend! #IndyCar #ABCSupply500

7:52 AM - Aug 18, 2018
977
206 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
Last year was my first visit to @RaceSonoma and @IndiraFeustel and I
had a great time. Best of luck on the final race of the @IndyCar season.
It has been a real treat to follow the entire season from
@Space_Station. #INDYCAR #SonomaGP

2:16 PM - Sep 14, 2018
671
122 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
The very last race I will enjoy from space will be @F1 #RussianGP at
@SochiAutodrom. Good luck to the teams & drivers. It’s been a rare treat
to follow the season from @Space_Station & I will continue to post pics
of the tracks from #space until the season ends.

7:38 AM - Sep 29, 2018
761
148 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

A.J. (Drew) Feustel

@Astro_Feustel
I have had my “glory days in the hot sun” and now it’s time to come
home. Thank you everybody for following along on Expedition 56’s journey
living on @Space_Station. I hope you continue to follow @NASA as we
explore the great depths of space for the benefit of humanity.

1:51 PM - Oct 3, 2018
4,416
812 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Bikes, Formula 1, IndyCar, International Racing

Hazel Black • 21 hours ago
Impressive!

1
•Reply•Share ›
Praveen Titus • 21 hours ago
That's how a motorsport fan should be - following multiple
championships, not just F1 or IndyCar or NASCAR.

13
•Reply•Share ›
Scott • 19 hours ago
Excellent shots there.

3
•Reply•Share ›
Catt-A • 17 hours ago
Let this dude wave a starting flag or something at IMS

5
•Reply•Share ›
CincyChris • 11 hours ago
Dear RACER,
This is a great article. Please send someone to interview this guy. That
would be awesome! Thank you.

•Reply•Share ›
Foitek_Fan • 11 hours ago
Very cool to have a race fan all the way up there!

•Reply•Share ›
~misfit~
2018-10-05 23:23:42 UTC
Crossposting removed.
Post by a425couple
from
https://racer.com/2018/10/04/racetrack-photographer-from-the-stars-returns-to-earth/
Sensationalist claptrap. "From the stars"? "Returns to Earth"? There is a
stupidly large difference between low earth orbit and 'the stars'. He in
fact never left Earth's influenece. When I see a tabloid-style headline like
that it makes me think the story isn't worth reading on its own merits.

Geoff May
2018-10-06 07:16:36 UTC
Crossposting removed.
Post by a425couple
from
https://racer.com/2018/10/04/racetrack-photographer-from-the-stars-returns-to-earth/
Sensationalist claptrap. "From the stars"? "Returns to Earth"? There is a
stupidly large difference between low earth orbit and 'the stars'. He in
fact never left Earth's influenece.
The only person to have left Earth's influence is Donald Trump ...
Post by ~misfit~
When I see a tabloid-style headline like
that it makes me think the story isn't worth reading on its own merits.
#AOL

Cheers

Geoff
Brian W Lawrence
2018-10-06 12:56:44 UTC
Crossposting removed.
Post by a425couple
from
https://racer.com/2018/10/04/racetrack-photographer-from-the-stars-returns-to-earth/
Sensationalist claptrap. "From the stars"? "Returns to Earth"? There is a
stupidly large difference between low earth orbit and 'the stars'. He in
fact never left Earth's influenece. When I see a tabloid-style headline like
that it makes me think the story isn't worth reading on its own merits.
To be fair though, it's a website about motorsport and is part of USA
Today group.

Another example of how poor it is though, "Feustel, flight engineer
Ricky Arnold and Soyuz commander Oleg Artemyev from Russian space agency
Roscosmo touched down at 7:44 a.m. ET on Thursday after finishing his
command of Expedition 56, the fifth and final mission to service the
Hubble Space Telescope that improved the observatory’s capabilities
through 2014."

The Hubble service mission was flown in 2009 and was Feustel's first
trip into space (STS-125/Atlantis).
~misfit~
2018-10-07 01:18:27 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by ~misfit~
Crossposting removed.
Post by a425couple
from
https://racer.com/2018/10/04/racetrack-photographer-from-the-stars-returns-to-earth/
Sensationalist claptrap. "From the stars"? "Returns to Earth"? There
is a stupidly large difference between low earth orbit and 'the
stars'. He in fact never left Earth's influenece. When I see a
tabloid-style headline like that it makes me think the story isn't
worth reading on its own merits.
To be fair though, it's a website about motorsport and is part of USA
Today group.
So very tabloid then.
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Another example of how poor it is though, "Feustel, flight engineer
Ricky Arnold and Soyuz commander Oleg Artemyev from Russian space
agency Roscosmo touched down at 7:44 a.m. ET on Thursday after
finishing his command of Expedition 56, the fifth and final mission
to service the Hubble Space Telescope that improved the observatory's
capabilities through 2014."
The Hubble service mission was flown in 2009 and was Feustel's first
trip into space (STS-125/Atlantis).
Meh...

Cheers.