Alonso @ Indy - a US media take
2017-05-25 17:45:39 UTC
http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/05/24/fernando-alonso-decision-to-race-indianapolis-500-giving-fellow-formula-1-drivers-fits/
Any chief-of-staff who isn’t prepared to confiscate
Trump’s Android, delete his Twitter account, and crush
sedatives into his food will fail to produce order.
- Eric Levitz
Sir Tim
2017-05-25 21:35:11 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/05/24/fernando-alonso-decision-to-race-indianapolis-500-giving-fellow-formula-1-drivers-fits/
Interesting article, thanks.

I'm not really sure Alonso's decision really gave his fellow F1 drivers
"fits", although the writer is probably correct in implying that "snooty"
F1 finds it difficult to understand why he would choose to miss the most
prestigious race on its calendar in favour of the "brash" American event.

Of course this is to overlook the fact that Alonso is in what is probably a
unique position: he is wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice; despite being
acknowledged as still one of the best drivers in the world he doesn't have
a hope in hell of winning at Monaco (or possibly even finishing); he has a
team and sponsor who are prepared to let him do it (probably helps that he
is using a Honda engine at Indy). No other driver would be in a position to
miss Monaco even if they wanted to.

Not sure it will help his chances of a decent F1 drive next year though.
2017-05-25 22:17:52 UTC
Post by Sir Tim
[...]
You seems to suggest it may hurt him and I don't see why.
Whats the point in sitting out most of the free practice time waiting for
the Honda guy to close the oil leakages with chewing gum and ducttape?
What is the point doing half a race fighting for 12 th place and then
have to slow down to save fuel IF that Honda thing haven't give up YET.

Next year McLaren says it will continue with Honda so Mclaren will NOT
have a usable PU. To make honda produce anything usable they need someone
with a couple of functioning brain cells but they have replaced them all
with incompetent clueless managers.

So Alfonzie has to find another team and there are not that many teams
able to win AND need a new driver at the same time.
Doesn't look good if you ask me.

2017-05-26 12:57:15 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Sir Tim
[...]
Many team bosses, and others in F1, seem to consider that it is the premier
form of motorsport and that any driver fortunate enough to have an F1 seat
is somehow being disloyal (or "unprofessional in Massa's words) if he even
considers driving in any other series. This is likely to militate against
Alonso, especially if he wins or does really well at Indy and gets "the
bug". Teams don't like drivers whom they feel are not totally committed.
Post by Mark Jackson
Whats the point in sitting out most of the free practice time waiting for
the Honda guy to close the oil leakages with chewing gum and ducttape?
What is the point doing half a race fighting for 12 th place and then
have to slow down to save fuel IF that Honda thing haven't give up YET.
Next year McLaren says it will continue with Honda so Mclaren will NOT
have a usable PU. To make honda produce anything usable they need someone
with a couple of functioning brain cells but they have replaced them all
with incompetent clueless managers.
So Alfonzie has to find another team and there are not that many teams
able to win AND need a new driver at the same time.
Doesn't look good if you ask me.
That's what I was trying to suggest.
2017-05-27 01:03:19 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Sir Tim
[...]
Yet I feel like this was initiated by McLaren to keep Alonso commited to
them. As in 'we're not competitive right now so why don't you go take a shot
at Indy (on our dime) while we get it sorted'? An acknowledgement of how
important it is to McLaren to keep Alonso and keep him happy.
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Mark Jackson
Whats the point in sitting out most of the free practice time
waiting for the Honda guy to close the oil leakages with chewing gum
and ducttape? What is the point doing half a race fighting for 12 th
place and then have to slow down to save fuel IF that Honda thing
haven't give up YET.
Next year McLaren says it will continue with Honda so Mclaren will
NOT have a usable PU. To make honda produce anything usable they
need someone with a couple of functioning brain cells but they have
replaced them all with incompetent clueless managers.
So Alfonzie has to find another team and there are not that many
teams able to win AND need a new driver at the same time.
Doesn't look good if you ask me.
That's what I was trying to suggest.
I think that McLaren realise this too and know that the biggest threat to
them losing their 2 x WDC is him leaving F1 - not getting a seat with
another team. So they're trying to keep him busy until their engine supplier
can iron out the wrinkles.

It's a win / win / win / [etc.] situation. Alonso gets to do chase a dream,
McLaren are keeping him happy, Indy gets more global coverage, F1 gets more
coverage from within the US / Indy crowd and the ever-popular Jenson Button
comes back for a race to keep F1 purists happy. It gives them a chance to
see Jens race again and respite from Alonso's whining for a race. ;)

I honestly can't see any losers oin this. Ok a couple grumpy F1 drivers
offered negative opinions based on historical data. The problem with those
opinions is a) F1 is undergoing change and b) I don't believe Alonso is
looking for a different seat in F1 anyway so this can't hurt him.*

* He's tainted his stock with Ferrari. Mercedes are happy with their
talented drivers for the foreseeable and he doesn't exactly fit RBR's
image - who have two very good drivers anyway. If he leaves McLaren / F1
it'll be for greener pastures. (Maybe for a full time McLaren exo-F1 team?)

2017-05-27 01:17:23 UTC
Yet I feel like this was initiated by McLaren to keep Alonso commited to
them.
I would like to know how many ordinary Americans even know the name 'McLaren'.

By the end of four weeks culminating on Sunday, I reckon several millions more will know the name McLaren.

No number of F1 grand prix wins will have been able to achieve that.
~misfit~
2017-05-27 04:49:13 UTC
Yet I feel like this was initiated by McLaren to keep Alonso
commited to them.
I would like to know how many ordinary Americans even know the name 'McLaren'.
By the end of four weeks culminating on Sunday, I reckon several
millions more will know the name McLaren.
No number of F1 grand prix wins will have been able to achieve that.
As I said win / win / win ....

2017-05-27 05:06:18 UTC
As I said
Yes. You also said you have trouble wiping
your ass and need a partial lobotomy.
t***@gmail.com
2017-05-27 05:22:19 UTC
ordinary Americans
Not homosexual, like you?
Jeff
2017-05-27 09:05:19 UTC
Yet I feel like this was initiated by McLaren to keep Alonso commited
to them.
I would like to know how many ordinary Americans even know the name 'McLaren'.
By the end of four weeks culminating on Sunday, I reckon several
millions more will know the name McLaren.
No number of F1 grand prix wins will have been able to achieve that.
The McLaren name is pretty well known in America since their cars won three
of the twelve Indianapolis 500s it raced in.
Sir Tim
2017-05-27 09:17:37 UTC
Post by Jeff
Yet I feel like this was initiated by McLaren to keep Alonso commited
to them.
I would like to know how many ordinary Americans even know the name 'McLaren'.
By the end of four weeks culminating on Sunday, I reckon several
millions more will know the name McLaren.
No number of F1 grand prix wins will have been able to achieve that.
The McLaren name is pretty well known in America since their cars won three
of the twelve Indianapolis 500s it raced in.
Thanks Jeff, you beat me to it :-)
A lot of seed has been sown and grown since then.
~misfit~
2017-05-27 10:10:05 UTC
Post by Jeff
Yet I feel like this was initiated by McLaren to keep Alonso
commited to them.
I would like to know how many ordinary Americans even know the name 'McLaren'.
By the end of four weeks culminating on Sunday, I reckon several
millions more will know the name McLaren.
No number of F1 grand prix wins will have been able to achieve that.
The McLaren name is pretty well known in America since their cars won
three of the twelve Indianapolis 500s it raced in.
Not to mention dominating the very popular at the time Can-Am series for a
few years.

2017-05-27 21:38:37 UTC
Post by Jeff
Yet I feel like this was initiated by McLaren to keep Alonso commited
to them.
I would like to know how many ordinary Americans even know the name 'McLaren'.
By the end of four weeks culminating on Sunday, I reckon several
millions more will know the name McLaren.
No number of F1 grand prix wins will have been able to achieve that.
The McLaren name is pretty well known in America since their cars won three
of the twelve Indianapolis 500s it raced in.
They used to have cars in a lot of series. F5000, Can Am, Indy... one year they had an F2 car for Jody Scheckter. All of that seemed to be finished by the end of the 70s as they concentrated on F1.

Possibly they've seen some sports car action in the USA since then with the F1 and the 12c.
Darryl Johnson
2017-05-27 23:23:01 UTC
Post by Jeff
Yet I feel like this was initiated by McLaren to keep Alonso commited
to them.
I would like to know how many ordinary Americans even know the name 'McLaren'.
By the end of four weeks culminating on Sunday, I reckon several
millions more will know the name McLaren.
No number of F1 grand prix wins will have been able to achieve that.
The McLaren name is pretty well known in America since their cars won three
of the twelve Indianapolis 500s it raced in.
They used to have cars in a lot of series. F5000, Can Am, Indy... one year they had an F2 car for Jody Scheckter. All of that seemed to be finished by the end of the 70s as they concentrated on F1.
Possibly they've seen some sports car action in the USA since then with the F1 and the 12c.
People also know them for their street cars (which
appear in the various racing series such as the
Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge) and for
their Mercedes-Benz SLR McLarens.
Edmund
2017-05-28 21:58:56 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Sir Tim
[...]
It is totally absurd to say Alonso is not committed, he freaking
literally once pushed single handed that Honda grap thing to the garage
when that hopeless powerless unit gave up again.
He finished ONCE this year and had not a single training session without
major engine problems.
Those unspeakable arrogant japanese clowns said -never underestimate honda
technology and they would be challenging Mercedes straight from 2015!
Then, every time they would improve ...

IF Alonso would waste his time in Monaco he would have started dead last
because of - you guessed it, yet again a new engine or something.
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Mark Jackson
Whats the point in sitting out most of the free practice time waiting
for the Honda guy to close the oil leakages with chewing gum and
ducttape? What is the point doing half a race fighting for 12 th place
and then have to slow down to save fuel IF that Honda thing haven't
give up YET.
Next year McLaren says it will continue with Honda so Mclaren will NOT
have a usable PU. To make honda produce anything usable they need
someone with a couple of functioning brain cells but they have replaced
them all with incompetent clueless managers.
So Alfonzie has to find another team and there are not that many teams
able to win AND need a new driver at the same time.
Doesn't look good if you ask me.
That's what I was trying to suggest.
Yes you did but you made it like going to Indy somehow would hurt him,
but it doesn't.

Alonso alone attracts millions additional viewers all over the world.
Now they know what a bunch of wankers are managing honda and what a
laughable pathetic company it has become. They cannot even produce an F1
engine that makes it to the finish or to Q3.
Now all those extra viewers have seen all those exploding Honda engines
in the Indy race and training too.

People already joked about the possibility Alonso's Indy engine would
give up too, AND IT DID!
Bobster
2017-05-26 02:20:38 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/05/24/fernando-alonso-decision-to-race-indianapolis-500-giving-fellow-formula-1-drivers-fits/
Interesting article, thanks.
I'm not really sure Alonso's decision really gave his fellow F1 drivers
"fits", although the writer is probably correct in implying that "snooty"
F1 finds it difficult to understand why he would choose to miss the most
prestigious race on its calendar in favour of the "brash" American event.
Yes. And I note they only quote one driver - who is retired and was in a chase for the WDC for three straight seasons.

Which is the crux of the matter. If Alonso felt that he had a shot at being competitive then of course he wouldn't be at Indy. And if Rosberg had been tooling around towards the back with no chance of glory and his own team said that they could fix a ride at Indy with a good team, he might well have come to a very different decision.

Monaco is a marquee event for F1. It's very important for the business of F1, for the sponsors of F1 and of teams. This is all understood. But I wonder if Chandon and SAP and CNN and all the other names that are usually on an F1 car that is likely to blow up very early aren't a bit happier being on an indy car whose practice sessions get millions of views, with a driver who visited 10 top publications in New York in one day this week, such is th the interest in his participation in the 500.
Probably not, but I don't think he has many opportunities anyway.
Bigbird
2017-05-26 04:46:49 UTC
Post by Sir Tim
[...]
Well he is probably drawing a lot more attention and a lot more crowds
than he currently does in F1. It will be an interesting exercise for
Liberty Media to analyse.

I'm thinking that if he can finish on the podium or well inside the top
ten most reaction should be positive. If he wins I don't think that
will be great for Indycar's reputation.
FB
2017-05-25 23:32:58 UTC
--
Failipe Massa said Alonso was "unprofessional"...

"Felipe, Fernando is smarter than you..."

FB
alister
2017-05-26 08:55:58 UTC
Post by FB
Post by Mark Jackson
--
Failipe Massa said Alonso was "unprofessional"...
"Felipe, Fernando is smarter than you..."
FB
Felipe has a point
Alonso has a contract to race F1 for McLaren, he has reneged on that
contract (although with the agreement of McLaren) He should have
completed this season then moved to Indy car for next year (or whenever
his contact expires) I am sure McLaren would have been happy to transfer
him.
--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything? It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."
Bobster
2017-05-26 09:29:30 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by FB
Post by Mark Jackson
--
Failipe Massa said Alonso was "unprofessional"...
"Felipe, Fernando is smarter than you..."
FB
Felipe has a point
Alonso has a contract to race F1 for McLaren,
Does he? He has a contract with McLaren and/or Honda. We don't know exactly what that binds him to do.
Post by Mark Jackson
he has reneged on that
contract (although with the agreement of McLaren) He should have
completed this season then moved to Indy car for next year (or whenever
his contact expires) I am sure McLaren would have been happy to transfer
him.
I think McLaren and their sponsors are very happy with many aspects of this. Especially the sponsors. They have not been charged extra for having their stickers on the indy car, but their exposure has increased dramatically.

Alonso has worked with his team. His team could have said no, but instead they first created and then heartily embraced this opportunity. I don't see it as unprofessional at all. Unconventional, yes. Unprofessional, no.
Bigbird
2017-05-26 10:13:17 UTC
--
Post by Mark Jackson
he has reneged on that
contract (although with the agreement of McLaren) He should have
completed this season then moved to Indy car for next year (or
whenever his contact expires) I am sure McLaren would have been
happy to transfer him.
I think McLaren and their sponsors are very happy with many aspects
of this. Especially the sponsors. They have not been charged extra
for having their stickers on the indy car, but their exposure has
increased dramatically.
A little compensation for the poor performance and exposure in F1.

I still think they would be far happier if the promise of better F1
performance had materialised.
Sir Tim
2017-05-26 15:27:18 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by FB
Post by Mark Jackson
--
Failipe Massa said Alonso was "unprofessional"...
"Felipe, Fernando is smarter than you..."
FB
Felipe has a point
Alonso has a contract to race F1 for McLaren, he has reneged on that
contract (although with the agreement of McLaren) He should have
completed this season then moved to Indy car for next year (or whenever
his contact expires) I am sure McLaren would have been happy to transfer
him.
So you have access to Alonso's contract? Do tell.

As all parties to the contract have agreed that Fred should run at
Indianapolis I can't for the life of me see how he has acted
unprofessionally. What I can see is that certain people in F1 fear that
attention may be diverted away from their own series. I feel pretty sure
that Bernie would not have allowed this to happen but with Liberty Media
now in charge hopefully we shall see plenty more of this type of
cross-fertilization to the benefit of both series.
2017-05-27 04:28:07 UTC
So you have access to Alonso's contract? Do tell.
Can't have a normal conversation?
Gotta be fucking old senile british cunt.
Here is a 'do tell", fuck off
t***@gmail.com
2017-05-27 04:34:02 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Sir Tim
So you have access to Alonso's contract? Do tell.
Can't have a normal conversation?
Gotta be a fucking old senile british cunt.
Here is a 'do tell", fuck off
Edmund
2017-05-29 15:17:53 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by FB
Post by Mark Jackson
--
Failipe Massa said Alonso was "unprofessional"...
"Felipe, Fernando is smarter than you..."
FB
Felipe has a point Alonso has a contract to race F1 for McLaren, he has
reneged on that contract (although with the agreement of McLaren) He
should have completed this season then moved to Indy car for next year
(or whenever his contact expires) I am sure McLaren would have been
happy to transfer him.
And I am not sure Alonso will ever drive a Honda thing again in his life.

2017-05-29 15:44:58 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by FB
Post by Mark Jackson
--
Failipe Massa said Alonso was "unprofessional"...
"Felipe, Fernando is smarter than you..."
FB
Felipe has a point Alonso has a contract to race F1 for McLaren, he has
reneged on that contract (although with the agreement of McLaren) He
should have completed this season then moved to Indy car for next year
(or whenever his contact expires) I am sure McLaren would have been
happy to transfer him.
Such a decision would cost him lots of money and do substantial damage to a not untarnished reputation.

He'll drive to the end of the F1 year, but I would be surprised if he can be persuaded to continue the relationship.
Bigbird
2017-05-29 18:22:50 UTC
Post by Edmund
And I am not sure Alonso will ever drive a Honda thing again in his life.
So you have changed your mind about him being quite happy to stay with
Honda for the money.
.
2017-05-29 18:35:32 UTC
Post by Edmund
And I am not sure Alonso will ever drive a Honda thing again in his life.
Edmund
He'll be driving a Honda again not later than June 9, 2017
because, by his own admission, "I'm happy at McLaren".