News of everybody's favorite F1 personality
2018-02-13 01:49:10 UTC
"Briatore sentenced to jail for tax fraud"

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38123.html

One’s hope with this stuff is always that Trump
is lying. The more disturbing explanation is
that he’s actually confused. - Matthew Yglesias
News
2018-02-13 02:00:31 UTC

KF impresario next?
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-13 02:14:54 UTC

no
Dan the Man
2018-02-14 17:22:58 UTC

Is Vijay Mallya still in hot water?
Mark Jackson
2018-02-14 18:58:46 UTC
On 2/14/2018 12:22 PM, Dan the Man wrote:
> On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 9:00:33 PM UTC-5, News wrote:
>> On 2/12/2018 8:49 PM, Mark Jackson wrote:
>>> "Briatore sentenced to jail for tax fraud"
>>>
>>> http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38123.html
>>>

>> KF impresario next?
>
> Is Vijay Mallya still in hot water?

Yes, depending on what temperature you ascribe to £18,000/week:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/no-end-to-the-good-times-uk-court-gives-mallya-permission-to-spend-18000-a-week/articleshow/62906593.cms

m***@gmail.com
2018-02-15 05:35:57 UTC

Isn't this essentially the same as the accusations about Hamilton and his aircraft?
alister
2018-02-15 09:14:09 UTC
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 21:35:57 -0800, megapode wrote:

> On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 03:49:16 UTC+2, Mark Jackson wrote:
>> "Briatore sentenced to jail for tax fraud"
>>
>> http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38123.html
>>
>> --
>> Mark Jackson - http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~mjackson
>> One’s hope with this stuff is always that Trump is lying. The
>> more disturbing explanation is that he’s actually confused. -
>> Matthew Yglesias
>
> Isn't this essentially the same as the accusations about Hamilton and
> his aircraft?

Perhaps you should try reading the full article first

"Briatore and four others had been found guilty of using the yacht only
recreationally, therefore dodging EUR 3.6 million in value-added tax by
issuing fake invoices."
"
Briatore has been found guilty of tax Fraud because he was issuing fake
invoices (presumably to claim the yacht as a business expense some how.

it is clearly the fraudulent invoices that has caused the issue.

--
Fanaticism consists of redoubling your effort when you have forgotten
your aim.
-- George Santayana
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-16 05:21:43 UTC
On Thursday, 15 February 2018 11:14:11 UTC+2, alister wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 21:35:57 -0800, megapode wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 03:49:16 UTC+2, Mark Jackson wrote:
> >> "Briatore sentenced to jail for tax fraud"
> >>
> >> http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38123.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark Jackson - http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~mjackson
> >> One’s hope with this stuff is always that Trump is lying. The
> >> more disturbing explanation is that he’s actually confused. -
> >> Matthew Yglesias
> >
> > Isn't this essentially the same as the accusations about Hamilton and
> > his aircraft?
>
> Perhaps you should try reading the full article first
I did. The substance is that Flav has a yacht that he says is for business but is really for pleasure - and so it's a Tax dodge. Which is what has been suggested about Hamilton and his plane.

It may be that Hamilton's advisers have been more creative with the paperwork. Or that he has advisers.

They're just the smoking gun.
alister
2018-02-16 09:07:28 UTC
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 21:21:43 -0800, megapode wrote:

> On Thursday, 15 February 2018 11:14:11 UTC+2, alister wrote:

>> > Isn't this essentially the same as the accusations about Hamilton and
>> > his aircraft?
>>
>> Perhaps you should try reading the full article first
> I did. The substance is that Flav has a yacht that he says is for
> business but is really for pleasure - and so it's a Tax dodge. Which is
> what has been suggested about Hamilton and his plane.

or simply he has not submitted invoices that were FAKE (ie never issued
by the company the claim to be from)

> It may be that Hamilton's advisers have been more creative with the
> paperwork. Or that he has advisers.

Indeed advisers who would have kept him within the law & not said "hey
look if you fire-up your computer & rough out a few pretend invoices we
can no a few quid more of your tax bill)

>> "Briatore and four others had been found guilty of using the yacht only
>> recreationally, therefore dodging EUR 3.6 million in value-added tax by
>> issuing fake invoices."
>> "
>> Briatore has been found guilty of tax Fraud because he was issuing fake
>> invoices (presumably to claim the yacht as a business expense some how.
>>
>> it is clearly the fraudulent invoices that has caused the issue.
>
> They're just the smoking gun.

No they are the activity that overstepped the line from tax evasion to
tax fraud.

--
"`This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking
low over his beer, `I never could get the hang of

- Arthur, on what was to be his last Thursday on Earth.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-16 09:26:06 UTC

Ah ok. That's a good distinction.
alister
2018-02-16 16:00:01 UTC
On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 01:26:06 -0800, megapode wrote:

> On Friday, 16 February 2018 11:07:31 UTC+2, alister wrote:

>> > They're just the smoking gun.
>>
>> No they are the activity that overstepped the line from tax evasion to
>> tax fraud.
>
> Ah ok. That's a good distinction.

Minor correction I should have said Tax Avoidance (which is legal) not
Tax evasion (which is not)

One good suit is worth a thousand resumes.
Bruce Hoult
2018-02-16 10:57:44 UTC
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 8:21:45 AM UTC+3, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 February 2018 11:14:11 UTC+2, alister wrote:

> > > Isn't this essentially the same as the accusations about Hamilton and
> > > his aircraft?
> >
> > Perhaps you should try reading the full article first
> I did. The substance is that Flav has a yacht that he says is for business but is really for pleasure - and so it's a Tax dodge. Which is what has been suggested about Hamilton and his plane.
>
> It may be that Hamilton's advisers have been more creative with the paperwork. Or that he has advisers.

Or that Hamilton uses the plane for legit business-related activities such as to actually travel between home, factory, and races.

A yacht is not all that useful for that.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-16 17:12:54 UTC
On Friday, 16 February 2018 12:57:46 UTC+2, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 8:21:45 AM UTC+3, ***@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Perhaps you should try reading the full article first
> > I did. The substance is that Flav has a yacht that he says is for business but is really for pleasure - and so it's a Tax dodge. Which is what has been suggested about Hamilton and his plane.
> >
> > It may be that Hamilton's advisers have been more creative with the paperwork. Or that he has advisers.
>
> Or that Hamilton uses the plane for legit business-related activities such as to actually travel between home, factory, and races.
>
> A yacht is not all that useful for that.

I should think that if you live on the Mediterranean it might well be plausibly useful for business activities.

Of course, and in all cases, having a rather loose definition of "business" may help.