Ronnie Peterson
2018-09-12 15:29:27 UTC
Died 40 years ago.

Here are some pictures of his, now closed, museum

http://www.ointres.se/ronnie_peterson_museum.htm
Sir Tim
2018-09-12 17:35:00 UTC
On 12/09/2018 16:29, M2T wrote:
> Died 40 years ago.
>
> Here are some pictures of his, now closed, museum
>
> http://www.ointres.se/ronnie_peterson_museum.htm

Can it really be 40 years?

Denis Jenkinson correctly described Peterson as:"Not one for trailing
around disconsolately at the back of the field, wittering on about his
tyres or his engine or the handling of his car. He is a racing driver of
the best sort."

Ronnie was not a good test driver, nor was he attuned to the politics of
F1, but he was blindingly quick in an F1 car. I suspect that no one who
witnessed his utter commitment as he oversteered through Woodcote,
balancing the car on the throttle, will ever forget it.

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
M2T
2018-09-12 17:41:27 UTC
On 12/09/2018 18:35, Sir Tim wrote:
> On 12/09/2018 16:29, M2T wrote:
>> Died 40 years ago.
>>
>> Here are some pictures of his, now closed, museum
>>
>> http://www.ointres.se/ronnie_peterson_museum.htm
>>
> Can it really be 40 years?
>
> Denis Jenkinson correctly described Peterson as:"Not one for trailing
> around disconsolately at the back of the field, wittering on about his
> tyres or his engine or the handling of his car. He is a racing driver of
> the best sort."
>
> Ronnie was not a good test driver, nor was he attuned to the politics of
> F1, but he was blindingly quick in an F1 car. I suspect that no one who
> witnessed his utter commitment as he oversteered through Woodcote,
> balancing the car on the throttle, will ever forget it.

You might enjoy reading this 2 parter by his former mechanic

bra
2018-09-15 21:17:51 UTC
On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 10:41:29 AM UTC-7, M2T wrote:

Thank you!

Here is Keith Leighton on his (world champion) father's stock car: http://www.oldstox.com/images/Keith%20Leighton.jpg

and on the right in this photo:
http://www.oldstox.com/images/LeightonOldKids.jpg

Keith Leighton had a stellar career in motor sport, including Cosworth, F2, Indianapolis 'heritage' cars and Bonneville speed record attempts.

All starting from a garage on the A45 in Northamptonshire, where Frank Williams's Brabham F1 for Piers Courage was built in the basement.

His father in 1962:
http://www.oldstox.com/images/aubrey%20at%20cadwell.jpg
fnot
2018-09-12 23:33:09 UTC
On 9/12/2018 1:35 PM, Sir Tim wrote:
> On 12/09/2018 16:29, M2T wrote:
>> Died 40 years ago.
>>
>> Here are some pictures of his, now closed, museum
>>
>> http://www.ointres.se/ronnie_peterson_museum.htm
>>
> Can it really be 40 years?
>
> Denis Jenkinson correctly described Peterson as:"Not one for trailing
> around disconsolately at the back of the field, wittering on about his
> tyres or his engine or the handling of his car. He is a racing driver of
> the best sort."
>
> Ronnie was not a good test driver, nor was he attuned to the politics of
> F1, but he was blindingly quick in an F1 car. I suspect that no one who
> witnessed his utter commitment as he oversteered through Woodcote,
> balancing the car on the throttle, will ever forget it.

I wonder which is easier to correct with the throttle...oversteer or
understeer ?
Alan Baker
2018-09-13 00:02:45 UTC
On 2018-09-12 4:33 PM, fnot wrote:
> On 9/12/2018 1:35 PM, Sir Tim wrote:
>> On 12/09/2018 16:29, M2T wrote:
>>> Died 40 years ago.
>>>
>>> Here are some pictures of his, now closed, museum
>>>
>>> http://www.ointres.se/ronnie_peterson_museum.htm
>>>
>> Can it really be 40 years?
>>
>> Denis Jenkinson correctly described Peterson as:"Not one for trailing
>> around disconsolately at the back of the field, wittering on about his
>> tyres or his engine or the handling of his car. He is a racing driver
>> of the best sort."
>>
>> Ronnie was not a good test driver, nor was he attuned to the politics
>> of F1, but he was blindingly quick in an F1 car. I suspect that no one
>> who witnessed his utter commitment as he oversteered through Woodcote,
>> balancing the car on the throttle, will ever forget it.
>>
> I wonder which is easier to correct with the throttle...oversteer or
> understeer ?

Very few drivers want a car that understeers...

...except (perhaps) in very fast bends.

:-)
t***@gmail.com
2018-09-13 00:48:15 UTC

Try to form a proper sentence, fuckhead.
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2018-09-15 22:33:43 UTC
I believe that the marshal with the green flag at the back of the grid at the end of the parade lap (signalling to the starter that the last car has stopped in its grid place) originates from that lap 1 accident at Monza in 1978.

That time the starter sent them off too early - and so some cars had stopped and were in 1st gear waiting, but some were stopped and still in neutral so were caught out, and others were still rolling forward and in 1st gear coming down from 2nd gear etc so got a flying start - all of which was a contributory factor in the pile up accident near the 1st chicane.

(The possibility of a coked up or stoned Hunt can't be discounted as a factor either I reckon - he falsely claimed that Patrese had hit him and triggered everything - the start of a feud which only concluded with Hunt's death in 1993)

There was a (silly) argument put forward at the time that no driver should have weaved right or left but just all driven away in 2 straight lines behind one another - and if all doing that there would've been no accident - but has any GP ever started like that?

(Patrese came towards Hunt on the narrowing Monza track as the cars neared the 1st chicane and Hunt moved away in avoidance - but that simply resulted in Hunt hitting Peterson who was already being squeezed by Hunt. Peterson's car then hit a barrier and caught fire and then was hit again at least once by Brambilla - who was driving a Surtees I think and was himself badly injured)

I was only a little boy at the time, and my most vivid memory of it was (on Grandstand or Sportsnight etc days later) of the helicopter camera looking down at the fire whilst Murray Walker named the drivers who were rescuing Peterson (Hunt, Daly and Regazzoni were 3 he named).

I think Sid Watkins in the medical car and the medical helicopter were other consequences - I think on the day they had to appeal over the loudspeaker for any doctors who were in the crowd!
Sir Tim
2018-09-16 10:30:14 UTC
<***@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I was only a little boy at the time, and my most vivid memory of it was
> (on Grandstand or Sportsnight etc days later) of the helicopter camera
> looking down at the fire whilst Murray Walker named the drivers who were
> rescuing Peterson (Hunt, Daly and Regazzoni were 3 he named).

Great Scott, it’s good to know that we do have *some* youngsters on this
group (I was 40 the year Ronnie died)!