DOTD
2017-06-25 15:43:28 UTC
Valtteri Bottas, from last to 2nd place.
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.
M2T
2017-06-25 15:49:38 UTC
Helps if you're given a free lap. A stupid rule that needs to be changed.
.
2017-06-25 15:52:42 UTC
Post by .
Valtteri Bottas, from last to 2nd place.
Helps if you're given a free lap. A stupid rule that needs to be changed.
You'd have a point if the claim was that he did it from a lap down,
you don't have a point regarding him claiming 2nd from dead last.
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.
John
2017-06-25 21:47:00 UTC
Helps to be driving the Merc.
~misfit~
2017-06-26 09:52:03 UTC
Post by .
Valtteri Bottas, from last to 2nd place.
Helps if you're given a free lap. A stupid rule that needs to be changed.
It was changed to how it is now so that there aren't (usually slower) lapped
cars tangling with the fast cars at a re-start causing a chain of safety car
periods. It works well and it would be unfair to only let lapped
'backmarkers' past. It's an all or nothing situation.

Before it was bought into effect lapped cars really ruined the racing and
often started a feedback loop that resulted in repeated safety car periods.

Is it a stupid rule because it helped a Mercedes this time? Because most
teams and drivers have benefitted from it in recent times.

Phil Carmody
2017-07-04 06:53:58 UTC
Post by .
Valtteri Bottas, from last to 2nd place.
Helps if you're given a free lap. A stupid rule that needs to be changed.
It was changed to how it is now so that there aren't (usually slower) lapped
cars tangling with the fast cars at a re-start causing a chain of safety car
periods. It works well and it would be unfair to only let lapped
'backmarkers' past. It's an all or nothing situation.
It works abysmally. It slows down restarts unnecessarily.
Post by ~misfit~
Before it was bought into effect lapped cars really ruined the racing and
often started a feedback loop that resulted in repeated safety car periods.
If the only way you or they can think of to get lapped cars at the
back of the pack is by having them unlap themselves and then slowly
catch up with the pack, then there's some pretty restrictive blinkers
being worn. These are the guys who the rest of the time get blue flags
waved at them, so that the front runners can get past them cleanly
without a fight - why does the "A my go past B, and B may do nothing
to interfere with this" get suddenly reversed during a safety car
period?
Post by ~misfit~
Is it a stupid rule because it helped a Mercedes this time? Because most
teams and drivers have benefitted from it in recent times.
No, it's a stupid rule because it's a stupid rule.

Phil
--
In order for there to be rights, there must be wrongs - if you want to
get rid of wrongs, which great leaders do, you *must* get rid of rights.
~misfit~
2017-07-04 12:57:19 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Is it a stupid rule because it helped a Mercedes this time? Because
most teams and drivers have benefitted from it in recent times.
No, it's a stupid rule because it's a stupid rule.
I never said it was perfect but I remember it both ways and have some vivid
memories of backmarkers being loyal to 'friendly teams' or suppliers and
ruining races due to being bunched up in the 'fast guys' by a safety car.

Phil Carmody
2017-07-04 18:32:29 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Is it a stupid rule because it helped a Mercedes this time? Because
most teams and drivers have benefitted from it in recent times.
No, it's a stupid rule because it's a stupid rule.
I never said it was perfect but I remember it both ways and have some vivid
memories of backmarkers being loyal to 'friendly teams' or suppliers and
ruining races due to being bunched up in the 'fast guys' by a safety car.
But do you agree my third option is better than both the current and
the past attempts at solving that problem? What could be simpler than
just blue flags as normal?

Phil
~misfit~
2017-07-04 23:39:46 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
Post by ~misfit~
Post by ~misfit~
Is it a stupid rule because it helped a Mercedes this time? Because
most teams and drivers have benefitted from it in recent times.
No, it's a stupid rule because it's a stupid rule.
I never said it was perfect but I remember it both ways and have
some vivid memories of backmarkers being loyal to 'friendly teams'
or suppliers and ruining races due to being bunched up in the 'fast
guys' by a safety car.
But do you agree my third option is better than both the current and
the past attempts at solving that problem? What could be simpler than
just blue flags as normal?
It would be simpler. However I think that the intent of the FIA here is to
not further penalise cars that may be out of position.

Phil Carmody
2017-06-25 21:38:26 UTC
Post by .
Valtteri Bottas, from last to 2nd place.
So this is dick of the day? Bottas body-checked Kimi, who was lined up
for a very good chance of a podium, and cost him his race.

But you're wrong - you have overlooked the fact that Vettel was dick
of the day by a country mile.

Phil
.
2017-06-25 21:53:06 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
Post by .
Valtteri Bottas, from last to 2nd place.
So this is dick of the day?
You know better.
Post by Phil Carmody
Bottas body-checked Kimi, who was lined up
for a very good chance of a podium, and cost him his race.
Unintentional racing incident due to misjudging, hitting the
curb and propelling VB into KR, the proof being no penalty
was invoked.
Post by Phil Carmody
... you have overlooked the fact that Vettel was dick
of the day by a country mile.
You'll find no disagreement here.
Post by Phil Carmody
Phil
-
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.