Year end driver standings
2017-09-18 09:02:41 UTC
Couple of interesting areas to watch beyond the top two for the rest of the season:-
- Could Bottas overtake Vettel (23 point gap)?
- Will Max stay ahead of Ocon and Perez?

Still plenty to play for, and the top of the standings could yet change back. Though Hamilton is looking a much stronger bet with the huge piece of good luck he benefitted from this weekend.
~misfit~
2017-09-18 10:51:31 UTC
Couple of interesting areas to watch beyond the top two for the rest of the season:-
- Could Bottas overtake Vettel (23 point gap)?
- Will Max stay ahead of Ocon and Perez?
Still plenty to play for, and the top of the standings could yet
change back. Though Hamilton is looking a much stronger bet with the
huge piece of good luck he benefitted from this weekend.
Yep the weather really played into his hands. Lesser drivers don't leave
that bit extra margin for error that's needed in wet conditions.

2017-09-18 16:55:24 UTC
Agree that to a degree you make your own luck.

Wet weather is certainly one of those areas where some drivers seem to be consistently lucky. Wonder what that might tell us.

Having said that, if Hamilton had hooked it up like Kimi did he'd have probably ended up with a very similar outcome.

But at the very least I think Singapore makes up for Baku in terms of relative points differentials between Lewis and Seb.
.
2017-09-18 17:18:29 UTC
Having said that, if Hamilton had hooked it up like Kimi did he'd have probably ended up with a very similar outcome.
If you're going to comment about it, you should have
at least watched the race or one of the legion number
of replays as, although no one has mentioned it, Lewis
Hamilton actually had the far superior start, going
from his grid position of 5th (KR started 4th) to 2nd
before the 1st corner and 1st by the end of it.
larkim
2017-09-19 06:12:49 UTC
I meant if Hamilton had been in Kimis position. But I accept that I didn't word it like that.
m***@gmail.com
2017-09-25 08:37:00 UTC
Post by .
Post by larkim
Having said that, if Hamilton had hooked it up like Kimi did he'd have probably ended up with a very similar outcome.
If you're going to comment about it, you should have
at least watched the race or one of the legion number
of replays as, although no one has mentioned it, Lewis
Hamilton actually had the far superior start, going
from his grid position of 5th (KR started 4th) to 2nd
before the 1st corner and 1st by the end of it.
He was certainly behind Raikkonen, Vettel and Verstappen and maybe back from Alonso when all the fun started. When the three cars ahead of you have a collision, going from 5th to 1st is maybe not so great.

Thereafter he got a lot of help from a pit wall crew whose tactics he didn't understand but had the good sense to go along with.
~misfit~
2017-09-19 01:56:24 UTC
Agree that to a degree you make your own luck.
Wet weather is certainly one of those areas where some drivers seem
to be consistently lucky. Wonder what that might tell us.
Having said that, if Hamilton had hooked it up like Kimi did he'd
have probably ended up with a very similar outcome.
I disagree. Hamilton did get a good start but drove carefully and picked his
line to avoid other cars and incidents - he has a points lead to protect.
Kimi took a do-or-die lunge as he's not currently threatening the leaders.