Ricciardo to take engine penalties in Montreal
Brian W Lawrence
2018-06-05 16:40:49 UTC
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44364183>
M2T
2018-06-05 18:18:36 UTC
   <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44364183>
That'll teach him for holding up all the other cars at Monaco.
Edmund
2018-06-05 20:50:48 UTC
   <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44364183>
That'll teach him for holding up all the other cars at Monaco.
Or finish in front of his team mate.

Edmund
Dan the Man
Indeed, RIC was supposed to be that reliable old guy who would help VER become the Next Big Thing in F1. The nerve!
Willsy
2018-06-06 16:20:25 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44364183>
Penalising the driver for things that are out of his control is just
ridiculous. This has been my most major issue with the F1 rules for a
long time now.

The FIA need to start splitting the penalties between the constructors
and the driver. Basically, as I see it, the driver should ONLY be penalised
for infractions that he commits ON THE TRACK: Failing to obey blue flags;
track limits; dangerous driving; the normal stuff that one would expect
a driver to be penalised for.

If the gearbox fails, the *team* should be penalised (i.e. have constructor
championship points deducted). This would mean that some teams could finish
the season with a negative point score and yet their driver may accrue a
healthy points tally. So be it. At least the driver would not be penalised for
reliability issues or other choices made at the team level.

Absolutely bonkers.
geoff
2018-06-06 20:22:02 UTC
Post by Willsy
Post by Brian W Lawrence
[...]
The failure *can* be due to the manner in which the driver drives, or
due to a track misadventure caused by the driver. Where does one draw
the line ?

Bollocks. It's a team sport, like racing boats, motorcycles or even horses.
larkim
2018-06-07 04:46:14 UTC
Post by Willsy
Post by Brian W Lawrence
[...]
So the driver should also be credited with a podium place when their
engine blows on the last lap too then?
CS
2018-06-06 17:57:02 UTC
If the driver stuffs the car and requires parts changing and if a penalty, then he carries the can.
If the parts just fail/catch fire etc etc, the team pays with loss of constructor points.
Simples.
geoff
2018-06-06 20:23:19 UTC
Post by CS
If the driver stuffs the car and requires parts changing and if a penalty, then he carries the can.
If the parts just fail/catch fire etc etc, the team pays with loss of constructor points.
Simples.
Driver can have some influence on a 'just fails etc' scenario too. Not
quite so simple?

geoff
Brian W Lawrence
2018-06-08 17:00:48 UTC
   <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44364183>
So for FP1 & FP2 he has new ICE, TC & MGU-H. He has now
used 3 of each. If he needed new ones for practice, he will
probably need a 4th of each for the race.

I believe that would be a 30-place penalty.
keithr0
2018-06-09 06:03:10 UTC
   <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44364183>
The team has chosen not to take penalties at this race and will fit the
originally used items (the units that self conflagrated were
replacements for those at the Chinese race).

“We will try and go as long as we can to delay. The earlier we take a
penalty then maybe we have to take another one before the year is out.”