Car weighing and crash after race end.
Murmur
2017-10-03 22:34:58 UTC
If a car finishes classified, but then crashes during the cool-down lap, is it weighed nevertheless (as the regulations prescribe)? And if yes, how can it be done? Are all the detached bits and pieces collected from the ground? What if the crash has caused fluid leaks?
Geoff
2017-10-03 23:09:57 UTC
Post by Murmur
If a car finishes classified, but then crashes during the cool-down lap, is it weighed nevertheless (as the regulations prescribe)? And if yes, how can it be done? Are all the detached bits and pieces collected from the ground? What if the crash has caused fluid leaks?
... and if the driver shit himself ;- 0

2017-10-03 23:17:50 UTC
Post by Geoff
... and if the driver shit himself ;- 0
The drivers are required to be weighed right after the race, so yes, if the driver shit himself, they must be weighed before they can go to the bathroom.

From the regulations: "Classified finishers are weighed again after the race. If a driver wishes to leave his car before it is weighed he must ask the technical delegate to weigh him in order that this weight may be added to that of the car."

Now, can you answer the actual question in my first post?
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-04 01:45:38 UTC
Only with a well reamed asshole like yours.
Mark
2017-10-04 08:26:55 UTC
Post by Murmur
If a car finishes classified, but then crashes during the cool-down
lap, is it weighed nevertheless (as the regulations prescribe)? And if
yes, how can it be done? Are all the detached bits and pieces
collected from the ground? What if the crash has caused fluid leaks?
I would expect (but don't know) that it would be weighed as usual and
its weight added to the driver's weight and, if there were any issues
(e.g. that it's underweight or insufficient fuel) that it would be dealt
with in the same way. If the team believed that the crash had caused
the issue, I'm sure there would be an appeals process the same as in any
other situation...but I wouldn't expect the requirement to simply be
disregarded because of the crash.

Someone might have an answer that refers to the specific rules, though.
m***@gmail.com
2017-10-04 09:03:12 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Murmur
If a car finishes classified, but then crashes during the cool-down
lap, is it weighed nevertheless (as the regulations prescribe)? And if
yes, how can it be done? Are all the detached bits and pieces
collected from the ground? What if the crash has caused fluid leaks?
I would expect (but don't know) that it would be weighed as usual and
its weight added to the driver's weight and, if there were any issues
(e.g. that it's underweight or insufficient fuel) that it would be dealt
with in the same way. If the team believed that the crash had caused
the issue, I'm sure there would be an appeals process the same as in any
other situation...but I wouldn't expect the requirement to simply be
disregarded because of the crash.
I think it must go something like that.

Nobody will be able to take too big a chance. EG a mirror has been torn off by a fan but the car is 100kg underweight. FIA ask for a mirror from the other car to see if it accounts for the 100KG discrepancy. Which it won't, and so other questions will be asked.
larkim
2017-10-04 09:20:45 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Murmur
If a car finishes classified, but then crashes during the cool-down
lap, is it weighed nevertheless (as the regulations prescribe)? And if
yes, how can it be done? Are all the detached bits and pieces
collected from the ground? What if the crash has caused fluid leaks?
I would expect (but don't know) that it would be weighed as usual and
its weight added to the driver's weight and, if there were any issues
(e.g. that it's underweight or insufficient fuel) that it would be dealt
with in the same way. If the team believed that the crash had caused
the issue, I'm sure there would be an appeals process the same as in any
other situation...but I wouldn't expect the requirement to simply be
disregarded because of the crash.
Someone might have an answer that refers to the specific rules, though.
Vettel's car isn't listed as being weighed in the steward's report of
race scrutineering - find it here:-
https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2017/eventtiming-information-2

I suspect there's some provision which means that the slow down lap is
still defined as being part of the "race", and whatever provisions exist
for weighing DNF'ing cars probably applies. But am just guessing!!
larkim
2017-10-04 09:25:38 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Murmur
[...]
Probably a better answer than the one I just posted...

The sporting regs say the following:-
"c) The relevant car may be disqualified should its weight be less than that specified in
Article 4.1 of the Technical Regulations when weighed under a) or b) above, save where
the deficiency in weight results from the accidental loss of a component of the car."

So the rules only say cars "may" be DQd (hence no obligation) and note the
specific exclusion of accidental loss of component of the car.

I'm not for a minute suggesting the "may" allows them loads of latitude,
but it does allow for discretion if there's a damned good reason why the
weight is non-conforming - rather than a blanked obligation.

There's also no obligation to weigh all cars - it says
"b) After the race any classified car may be weighed. "

So again, a "may" allows them to not bother if they don't want to.
m***@gmail.com
2017-10-04 10:23:22 UTC

Thank you larkim, very comprehensive answers!
Naked Fame
2017-10-04 12:39:02 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Thank you larkim, very comprehensive answers!
Agreed.
Signature
Duddie
2017-10-04 09:51:35 UTC
Yet Vettel took his steering wheel with himself.
Bigbird
2017-10-04 10:34:31 UTC
Post by Murmur
If a car finishes classified, but then crashes during the cool-down
lap, is it weighed nevertheless (as the regulations prescribe)? And
if yes, how can it be done? Are all the detached bits and pieces
collected from the ground? What if the crash has caused fluid leaks?
It is still subject to being weighed. If it is then it is weighed with
all the gathered parts. If a part cannot be collected/weighed the team
can substitute it with an identical/similar part.

I would have expected Vettels car to be weighed. In fact I thought the
team were seen wheeling it back down the pitlane from the FIA garage.