If F1 used Tour de France Aggregate Timings?
CS
2017-07-22 21:30:16 UTC
So, if F1 used aggregate timings over the season, how would that affect the championship positions?
Someone has probably got all the times, so would be interesting to know the current standings?
D Munz
2017-07-22 22:14:03 UTC
Not quite sure what you are thinking. Agrigate the lowest laptime for each driver at the given grands prix?

That would be interesting to see but I'm not sure of the value as there are so many factors in which lap is fastest for a given driver at a given venue. This might compramise the comparability as it were.

Angel Gutierrez Rodriguez
2017-07-23 01:33:12 UTC
Post by D Munz
Not quite sure what you are thinking. Agrigate the lowest laptime for each driver at the given grands prix?
That would be interesting to see but I'm not sure of the value as there are so many factors in which lap is fastest for a given driver at a given venue. This might compramise the comparability as it were.
I think he means aggregate the whole race time so , at the end we'll
have who's faster over 20·300km distance. The problem with that is we
don't have people running over the whole distance (lapped drivers or DNFs).
Ángel Gutiérrez Rodríguez
~misfit~
2017-07-23 06:10:24 UTC
Post by Angel Gutierrez Rodriguez
Post by D Munz
Not quite sure what you are thinking. Agrigate the lowest laptime
for each driver at the given grands prix? That would be interesting to
see but I'm not sure of the value as
there are so many factors in which lap is fastest for a given driver
at a given venue. This might compramise the comparability as it
were.
I think he means aggregate the whole race time so , at the end we'll
have who's faster over 20·300km distance. The problem with that is we
don't have people running over the whole distance (lapped drivers or DNFs).
Also we have drivers 'managing their cars' when they're out front. If such a
thing were to be considered using historical data wouldn't prove anything,
it would have to be set as the rules from the start of a season. Drivers are
used to winning as slowly as possible.

CS
2017-07-23 11:15:49 UTC
Yes. Aggregate total race times over the season. DNFs is an issue. No time added at all for a DNF, or allow discards, say 3 races plus if more DNFs, then no time added.
CS
2017-07-23 11:26:54 UTC
Yes. Aggregate total race times over the season. DNFs may be an issue but the FIA list the race times while cars were running. Or allow discards, say 3 races. After that the listed race time.
Angel Gutierrez Rodriguez
2017-07-23 16:29:37 UTC
Also we have drivers 'managing their cars' when they're out front. If such a
thing were to be considered using historical data wouldn't prove anything,
it would have to be set as the rules from the start of a season. Drivers are
used to winning as slowly as possible.
That's what happens when we discuss "ifs" here. They provide sometimes
interesting but __useless__ insight about the situation. Interesting
because the can show at times some characteristics but useless because
that doesn't matter. The only measurement of a driver is the amount of
points they get at the end of the year, because that's the only thing
they care of or fight for.
Ángel Gutiérrez Rodríguez
larkim
2017-07-25 06:21:15 UTC
If we had tdf rules if they dnf one race
they'd be out of the whole "race".
Bobster
2017-07-27 05:02:16 UTC
If we had tdf rules if they dnf one race
they'd be out of the whole "race".
Yes. TDF is one event. WDC is a series of discrete events.

Bobster
2017-07-23 02:34:05 UTC
What time do you give to somebody who doesn't finish?
Bigbird
2017-07-25 08:57:16 UTC
Post by CS
So, if F1 used aggregate timings over the season, how would that
affect the championship positions? Someone has probably got all the
times, so would be interesting to know the current standings?
Do they have a "safety car" in the TDF?