BOOOOORING ...
2018-05-27 15:25:53 UTC
Not the race - that was gripping from start to finish on many fronts.
Unusually for Monaco.

But Mercedes team strategy ?!? Why the hell didn't they stop for
hypersofts when there was time to make a huge difference ?

And who would they overtake? Each other ?
larkim
2018-05-27 20:34:59 UTC
Presume the logic of vsc pace being slower than pit lane plus stop didn't apply at Monaco? I suppose given Vettel couldn't get past a rbr car down 225bhp (I'm sure that's overstating things but I saw that figure on the BBC site) for 48 laps means any creative rolling the dice wouldn't have worked anyway.
geoff
2018-05-27 22:02:50 UTC
Not the race - that was gripping from start to finish on many fronts.
Unusually for Monaco.
But Mercedes team strategy ?!? Why the hell didn't they stop for
hypersofts when there was time to make a huge difference ?
And who would they overtake?  Each other ?
At 4 sec+ delta per lap. everybody.

2018-05-28 05:26:08 UTC
Not the race - that was gripping from start to finish on many
fronts. Unusually for Monaco.
But Mercedes team strategy ?!? Why the hell didn't they stop for
hypersofts when there was time to make a huge difference ?
And who would they overtake? Each other ?
At 4 sec+ delta per lap. everybody.
geoff
At Monaco? I don't think so. Also they were off the pace of Red Bull and
Ferrari all week (and their hypersoft tyres were graining almost instantly)
so they likely wouldn't have had 4 sec+ a lap delta for more than a lap or
two.

I think that they did the right thing for their championship. Sorry if it
didn't entertain you.

2018-05-28 08:11:17 UTC
Not the race - that was gripping from start to finish on many
fronts. Unusually for Monaco.
But Mercedes team strategy ?!? Why the hell didn't they stop for
hypersofts when there was time to make a huge difference ?
And who would they overtake? Each other ?
At 4 sec+ delta per lap. everybody.
geoff
At Monaco? I don't think so. Also they were off the pace of Red Bull and
Ferrari all week (and their hypersoft tyres were graining almost instantly)
so they likely wouldn't have had 4 sec+ a lap delta for more than a lap or
two.
That was what one of the tail-enders who changed early was doing,
according to the commentary. And if the strategists had worked it out
right.
Post by ~misfit~
I think that they did the right thing for their championship. Sorry if it
didn't entertain you.
Might have made Lewis a little less bored and whinging.

Simple, bump into the other and cut the chicane.
Bigbird
2018-05-28 06:22:27 UTC
Not the race - that was gripping from start to finish on many fronts.
Unusually for Monaco.
But Mercedes team strategy ?!? Why the hell didn't they stop for
hypersofts when there was time to make a huge difference ?
Not the race - that was gripping from start to finish on many fronts.
Unusually for Monaco.
But Mercedes team strategy ?!? Why the hell didn't they stop for
hypersofts when there was time to make a huge difference ?
Quite simply because it was unlikely to pay off. Overtaking while not
impossible is hugely risky (without the co-operation of the other
car)even with a tyre advantage.

You also have to ask your teammate to move out of the way before you
can even see the first rabbit.

The downside was gifting 6 points to Ferrari and 5 to Vettel... if they
avoided an accident.

It was a shame because I felt we were robbed of what could have been a
huge injection of much needed excitement.

Perhaps Liberty media should have a slush fund to award to teams who
make 'entertaining' strategy choices.
M2T
2018-05-28 10:45:06 UTC
[...]
No need for a slush fund, it's all about air time and RB got plenty of
that from both ends of the race.
Bigbird
...but what would it have taken to get Mercedes not to be Arsenal?
M2T
2018-05-28 14:44:42 UTC
...but what would it have taken to get Mercedes not to be Arsenal?
Lost me there. My interest in football is barely above zero.
Bigbird
2018-05-28 14:57:13 UTC
...but what would it have taken to get Mercedes not to be Arsenal?
Lost me there. My interest in football is barely above zero.
To be honest it's a bit of an nineties reference. I also haven't
followed football much in a while but Arsenal had a reputation for
being safe and boring; strong defence and limited attack. Goal fest NOT!
Sir Tim
2018-05-28 06:55:39 UTC
Not the race - that was gripping from start to finish on many fronts.
Unusually for Monaco.
But Mercedes team strategy ?!? Why the hell didn't they stop for
hypersofts when there was time to make a huge difference ?
geoff
I too would have liked to see them try it, but I think Mercedes made the
right call.