Another record for Hamilton?
Brian W Lawrence
2017-11-28 16:15:13 UTC
Updating some files I just noticed that Lewis' 2nd place in Abu
Dhabi was his 25th consecutive points-scoring finish. MSC held the
record with 24 in 2001-03. However, I haven't checked this stat for
several years, so maybe Vettel had more?

It's also the fifth time Hamilton has had a sequence of at least 10
consecutive points finishes. MSC had two long runs (18 & 24), but I'm
not aware of anyone else with more than one.

It is MUCH easier to achieve long runs now that points are available for
the first 10 finishers AND reliability is so good.

Lewis has started 208 GPs (110 for McLaren & 98 for Mercedes) and has
recorded the following:

Finishes 186 89.4% 95 / 91 McL/Merc
In points 172 82.7% 82 / 90
Out of pts 13 11 / 2
Disq. 1 1 / -

DNFs 22 10.6% 15 / 7

The DNFs can be classified as:

Collision 10 8 / 2
Mechanical 11 6 / 5
Spin 1 1 / -

Non-points finishes:

2007 10 EUR 9th @ [@ would have garnered points after 2009]
2008 3 BHR 13th
2008 8 FRA 10th @
2008 16 JPN 12th
2009 2 AUS 4th @ [disq. - lied to stewards]
2009 5 ESP 9th @
2009 6 MON 12th
2009 7 TUR 13th
2009 8 GBR 16th
2009 9 GER 18th
2009 13 ITA 12th
2010 5 ESP 14th (Wheel)
2012 8 EUR 19th (Collision (MAL))
----
2013 5 ESP 12th

DNFs

2007 16 CHN Spin
2008 7 CDN Collision (RAI, in pitlane)
2009 12 BEL Collision (ALG)
2009 17 ABD Brakes
2010 12 HUN Gearbox
2010 14 ITA Collision (MAS)
2010 15 SIN Collision (WEB)
2011 7 CDN Collision (BUT #)
2011 12 BEL Collision (KOB)
2011 19 BRA Gearbox
2012 10 GER Puncture
2012 12 BEL Collision (KOB/ALO)
2012 14 SIN Gearbox
2012 18 ABD Fuel pressure
2012 20 BRA Collision (HUL)
----
2013 15 JPN Collision (VET)
2014 1 AUS Engine
2014 7 CDN Brakes
2014 12 BEL Handling
2015 13 SIN Power Unit
2016 5 ESP Collision (ROS #)
2016 16 MAS Engine
Bruce Hoult
MAS? MAL, Shirley?
Brian W Lawrence
2017-11-29 02:13:04 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by Brian W Lawrence
2016 5 ESP Collision (ROS #)
2016 16 MAS Engine
MAS? MAL, Shirley?
Depends on which 'official' 3-letter code you use. The FIA actually uses
MYS, but the IOC's code has been MAS since 1988, though it was MAL from
1964-88.

I confess I don't pick a system and stick with it, and have changed some
of them over the years.
Bruce Hoult
2017-11-29 03:05:11 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by Brian W Lawrence
2016 5 ESP Collision (ROS #)
2016 16 MAS Engine
MAS? MAL, Shirley?
Depends on which 'official' 3-letter code you use. The FIA actually uses
MYS, but the IOC's code has been MAS since 1988, though it was MAL from
1964-88.
I confess I don't pick a system and stick with it, and have changed some
of them over the years.
I don't know where they get them from, but wikipedia pages are using MAL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_FIA_Formula_One_World_Championship#World_Drivers.27_Championship_standings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_FIA_Formula_One_World_Championship#World_Drivers.27_Championship_standings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIA_Formula_One_World_Championship#World_Drivers.27_Championship_standings

ISO 3166-1 specifies MYS, so the FIA is in line with that.
Brian W Lawrence
2017-11-29 12:34:21 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Updating some files I just noticed that Lewis' 2nd place in Abu
Dhabi was his 25th consecutive points-scoring finish. MSC held the
record with 24 in 2001-03. However, I haven't checked this stat for
several years, so maybe Vettel had more?
Sebastian had five sequences of 10 or more consecutive points finishes.

19 2010-11 2/17 (last 2 in 2010, first 17 in 2011)
14 2012-13 7/7
11 2013 (last 13 of season)
21 2014-15 11/10
18 2016-17 5/13
Post by Brian W Lawrence
It's also the fifth time Hamilton has had a sequence of at least 10
consecutive points finishes. MSC had two long runs (18 & 24), but I'm
not aware of anyone else with more than one.
Lewis has started 208 GPs (110 for McLaren & 98 for Mercedes) and has
Finishes    186  89.4%      95 / 91   McL/Merc
In points   172  82.7%      82 / 90
Out of pts   13             11 / 2
Disq.         1              1 / -
DNFs         22  10.6%      15 / 7
Vettel has started 198 GPs:

Finishes 171 86.4%
In points 159 80.3%
Out of pts 12

DNFs 27 13.6%

The DNF total excludes one non-start (BHR 2016), and includes:

Mechanical 16

Collision 8
Spin 3
Brian W Lawrence
2017-12-01 13:06:28 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Updating some files I just noticed that Lewis' 2nd place in Abu
Dhabi was his 25th consecutive points-scoring finish. MSC held the
record with 24 in 2001-03. However, I haven't checked this stat for
several years, so maybe Vettel had more?
The list I had dated back to ~2004, so I've been checking stats since
then.

At that time my list only had 12 instances where a driver scored points
in 10 or more consecutive races. Here's a brief summary:

24 M Schumacher 2001/02/03 [5/17/2]
21 JM Fangio 1953/54/55/56 [5/8/6/2] Note 1
18 M Schumacher 2003/04 [13/5]
15 C Reutemann 1980/81 [10/5]
13 A Ascari 1952/53 [6/7] Note 2
12 J Clark 1963/64 [9/3]
12 M Hakkinen 2000 [12]
12 R Barrichello 2003/04 [1/11]
11 N Lauda 1975/76 [4/7]
10 E Irvine 1999 [10]
10 D Coulthard 2000/01 [3/7]
10 R Schumacher 2003 [10]

Notes: 1. excludes Indy 500 & incl. MON 55 where he scored 1 FLap point
2 excludes Indy 500

Preliminary list of instances since 2004:

10 F Alonso 2004/05 [3/7]
18 F Alonso 2005/06 [6/12]
12 J Button 2005/06 [10/2]
13 M Schumacher 2006 [13]
11 G Fisichella 2006 [11]
17 F Alonso 2006/07 [3/14]
12 K Raikkonen 2007/08 [7/5]
11 J Button 2009 [11]
10 M Webber 2009/10 [2/8]
19 S Vettel 2010/11 [2/17]
14 M Webber 2010/11 [2/12]
12 F Alonso 2010/11 [6/6]
10 J Button 2010/11 [2/8]
10 L Hamilton 2010/11 [4/6]
10 F Massa 2011 [10]
23 F Alonso 2011/12 [12/11]
10 J Button 2011/12 [9/1]
10 M Webber 2011/12 [6/4]
27 K Raikkonen 2012/13 [17/10] new record
14 S Vettel 2012/13 [7/7]
13 F Massa 2012/13 [10/3]
13 F Alonso 2013 [13]
11 S Vettel 2013 [11]
17 N Rosberg 2013/14 [9/8]
15 F Alonso 2013/14 [3/12]
12 N Hulkenberg 2013/14 [2/10]
15 D Ricciardo 2014 [15]
21 S Vettel 2014/15 [11/10]
19 L Hamilton 2014/15 [7/12]
11 N Rosberg 2015 [11]
10 L Hamilton 2015/16 [6/4]
17 D Ricciardo 2016 [17]
16 N Rosberg 2016 [16] his last 16 GPs
11 K Raikkonen 2016 [11]
10 L Hamilton 2016 [10]
25 L Hamilton 2016/17 [5/20] current seq.
18 S Vettel 2016/17 [5/13]
15 S Perez 2016/17 [10/5]
15 V Bottas 2017 [15] current seq.
12 E Ocon 2017 [12]

So 40 instances since 2004 and only 12 before 2004.

In all cases I've tried not to overlook occasions where a driver
missed races, so that sequences relate to consec. driver appearances
rather than consec. GPs.

Work in progress, may be errors or omissions.