F1 TV
2018-05-11 12:11:50 UTC
Well they finally have it on for Spain. I didn't get to see it live, but watching the replay seems pretty good so far.

You have the ability to watch the main program with commentators in English, German, French and Spanish. Or you can just listen to what they label as the FX track. That is basically what sounds the camera is picking up. This is really cool because you can hear the conversations going on in the scene (without the commentators talking over the feed.)

They also have all the drivers listed and you can select them for the onboard. When watching a driver feed you can listen to only the team radio without and background noise (very quiet) or any of the commentary tracks or the FX feed from the onboard mic.

The best part of all this is that it all seems to be contained in the replay so you can go from driver to driver in real time and rewind. That means you could see an incident and then check each of the driver feeds with the FX and radio. I was concerned that this would not be possible in the replay but it seems to work.

There are problems though in that it must be massive mounts of data. I'm at work where we have a pretty robust pipe and still having buffering issues with the feed. I will try it again at home to see if it is a data issue or maybe something with the firewalls here.

All things considered, this is pretty cool. It might even push me over the edge to drop my cable subscription. The only reason I really keep it is the ability to time-slip F1. F1 TV looks to make that unnecessary.

2018-05-11 13:08:41 UTC
I just popped over to the live feed for FP2 and it does not look like you can pause/fast forward/rewind during the live broadcast. YOu can switch between drivers and get all the different audio options but they are real time only.

That makes is less useful for live watching but the replay value is probably more important (for me.)

We will see how they do in qualy and the race.

2018-05-11 13:46:19 UTC
Post by D Munz
I just popped over to the live feed for FP2 and it does not look like
you can pause/fast forward/rewind during the live broadcast. YOu can
switch between drivers and get all the different audio options but
they are real time only.
That makes is less useful for live watching but the replay value is
probably more important (for me.)
We will see how they do in qualy and the race.
Thanks for the reports D. Appreciated.

2018-05-11 17:37:02 UTC
Post by D Munz
I just popped over to the live feed for FP2 and it does not look like
you can pause/fast forward/rewind during the live broadcast. YOu can
switch between drivers and get all the different audio options but
they are real time only.
That makes is less useful for live watching but the replay value is
probably more important (for me.)
We will see how they do in qualy and the race.
Thanks for the reports D. Appreciated.
Piss poor reviews on Autosport

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/208913-f1-tv/page-14
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-11 18:27:18 UTC
Thanks for the link M2Tit.
~misfit~
2018-05-12 00:20:17 UTC
Post by D Munz
I just popped over to the live feed for FP2 and it does not look
like you can pause/fast forward/rewind during the live broadcast. YOu
can switch between drivers and get all the different audio
options but they are real time only.
That makes is less useful for live watching but the replay value is
probably more important (for me.)
We will see how they do in qualy and the race.
Thanks for the reports D. Appreciated.
Piss poor reviews on Autosport
http://forums.autosport.com/topic/208913-f1-tv/page-14
Forums? They aren't "reviews". I thought you'd know by now that people have
an innate tendancy to STFU when they're happy but vent publicly when they're
not. Therefore judging anything by what's written in a public forum requires
a heavy (at least 20:1) weighting away from the negative.

It's for that reason that public forums can't be considered to be reviews
per se.

2018-05-12 00:55:53 UTC
It's for that reason that public forums can't be considered to be reviews
per se.
Here is a review.
You are a grumpy cunt.
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-12 05:02:38 UTC
It's for that reason that public forums can't be considered to be reviews
per se.
That means you too.
Logoff stupid.
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-12 05:18:34 UTC
I thought you'd know by now
x2
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-12 05:26:10 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
Hey M2Tit. Stand up for yourself.
Even with your limited IQ.
M2T
2018-05-12 10:20:10 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
Not one said it was running to a decent standard.

Exactly the same comments here

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05/formula-1-finally-launches-its-livestream-and-it-was-a-total-mess/
~misfit~
2018-05-12 12:41:33 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
Thanks for that. It actually *is* a review, not just peeps bitching on a
forum.

2018-05-12 16:04:07 UTC
Thanks for that. It actually *is* a review, not just peeps bitching on a
forum.
Yes, it is a review but it does't say anything that I didn't originally post (props to me!!!)

The buffering was an issue but that seems to be a problem only with the on board camera feeds. I've also noticed that this seems to happen in certain areas of the track. Perhaps this is an issue with the video from the car to the data system (by that I mean maybe they don't get a constant video feed around the entire circuit.)

I'm watching the qualifying replay and so far there are no buffering issues at home on my mac. It is exactly the same feed as Sky (which probably shouldn't be a surprise). I have no idea who the other language commentators are but I would guess they are the same one who already provide commentary in their home countries.

I have the audio set to FX so no commentary and just noticed that the team radio pop-ups come through. I can also confirm that if you are on the driver on board, the radio is not censored. (Rewound on his feed and clearly heard Gasly's f-bomb.) It is actually quite enjoyable to just listen to the noise (being what it is...)

From the AT Review (about the value):
"If you have access to ESPN, I'm honestly not sure it is. You get the same video feed of the race with the same commentary team, and my experience of ESPN's stream quality to our Apple TVs has been pretty darn good. And if you still want access to the archived videos, all that stuff is available in the much cheaper F1 TV Access tier."

I only agree if you are watching the races live. That seems to be where all the bugs are. If you time-slip, so far, the replay works well (does glitch for the on-bards in some places) and being able to control the audio is cool.

I'm not sure if you get the same deal with the low-cost version. I think that is just a straight replay without all the additional feeds.

Finally, if you want the time and scoring detail, you can just open another window and run it along side the vides.

2018-05-13 01:59:02 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by ~misfit~
Thanks for that. It actually *is* a review, not just peeps bitching
on a forum.
Yes, it is a review but it does't say anything that I didn't
originally post (props to me!!!)
Indeed - which is why I thanked you for your OP. :)

(Though the AT review gave detail about pricing and 'value' as you mention
below.)
Post by D Munz
[...]
Thanks for the further infos.

I haven't checked it's availability here in NZ, I've been waiting for the
bugs to get ironed out and hear what it's like. However I doubt that it is
available here as (TTBOMK) Sky NZ have bought the rights to broadcast the
races here.

Lol. You cheap cunt. Pirating loser.
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-13 03:15:53 UTC
(TTBOMK)
Hey Stupid. Dump that gay ass acronym.
~misfit~
2018-05-12 13:13:29 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
Oh no!! SyFy has cancelled 'The Expanse'!

Thanks for the memory jog, it's been ages since I've checked out Ars.

2018-05-11 18:24:00 UTC
Thanks for the reports D. Appreciated.
So you can pirate it?
Fucking idiot.
geoff
2018-05-11 22:59:50 UTC
Post by D Munz
I just popped over to the live feed for FP2 and it does not look like you can pause/fast forward/rewind during the live broadcast. YOu can switch between drivers and get all the different audio options but they are real time only.
That makes is less useful for live watching but the replay value is probably more important (for me.)
We will see how they do in qualy and the race.
Would be handy if you could in fact Fast-Forward the live feed.

Then you could whizz though to the chequered flag, then and place a huge
bet on the winner before it actually finished !

2018-05-12 04:51:24 UTC
Would be handy if you could in fact Fast-Forward the live feed.
Then you could whizz though to the chequered flag, then and place a huge
bet on the winner before it actually finished !
That lame ass exclamation mark,
didn't even help that attempt at humor.
DumbedDownUSA
2018-05-12 07:43:53 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
Thanks for the heads up.

One little quirk is that I can't get English audio in Belgium... I have
to go to France where I get Sky's English commentary.
--
Trump averages six falsehoods a day; how you doin'?
Moderate! an unwitting, ignorant, cowardly, racist, homophobic, latrine
Dense, if you are reading this you lied.
build
2018-05-12 20:35:50 UTC
Those considering buying F1TV for the archive content should be aware that there is not much content available.
Although the listing goes back to 1950 there is nothing in the archive prior to 1997 and the only 97 race is Hungry.

1950 to 1996 (46 years!) are empty, why list so many years when they only contain "Sorry, we don't have any video content available for this season".

97 only has Hungry.
98 only has Belgium.
99 has French, Europe, Malaysia.
00 has German.
01 has Malaysia, Brazil, Austria.
02 has only Malaysia but does have 16 - 10 min reviews of other races.
03 has three races, Australia, Malaysia, Brazil and 7 other 10min reviews.
and so on and so forth.
Listings contain mostly 10min reviews (but not for all races) with a couple of full races.
There are no full seasons available.
(I have more races in my own archive than F1 is providing. And of coarse Murphy dictated that the races I wanted are not there.)

They do have the "Legends Of F1" series but I have those.
They have "Tales From The Vault" and "Architects Of F1".
And that is it, not much!

VERY DISAPPOINTING !
D Munz
2018-05-12 21:29:27 UTC
[...]
I think they are adding material. When I first got on, there was nothing in any of the years. So it will/may refilling up as time goes on.

2018-05-13 12:28:08 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by build
[...]
G'day D'Munz,
You may have looked earlier than me, I only first looked on Friday (Thurs night your time) and I haven't seen anything added since. They do say they will be adding to the archive however to start with less than 5% of what we know they have is a very poor start and in my view very deceptive. I expected to have access to at least the races in their archive and was looking forward to them adding some of the gems I've heard about over the years. They do have a lot of great stuff that has never been broadcast.

AND! here in Oz we only get access to the very small archive, *nothing else*. We don't get any access to the live stuff (as advertised and expected) *and* no access to F1, F2, GP3 and Porsche replays (which is what they advertised and I wanted and thought I'd get) so we pay the same but only get access to 5% of the archive.

Am I annoyed? Damn right I am.
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-13 14:37:29 UTC
Am I annoyed?
Who gives a fuck, what you are.
D Munz
2018-05-13 17:27:01 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by build
[...]
I'd give a few GPs before blowing completely up. I'm not sure who is supposed to get what (all depends on the legacy contracts) but I know the US should get everything. As the list fill up (IF they fill up) I'll try to keep track.

I did get an email from them saying they recognize it kind of sucks now and would refund a bit covering the Spanish GP. Maybe they expect to have it all sorted out be Monaco.

keefy
2018-05-14 22:18:50 UTC
AND! here in Oz we only get access to the very small archive, *nothing else*. We don't get any access to the live stuff (as advertised and expected) *and* no access to F1, F2, GP3 and Porsche replays (which is what they advertised and I wanted and thought I'd get) so we pay the same but only get access to 5% of the archive.
Am I annoyed? Damn right I am.
From what I saw on formula1.com I would say it is very much the same
here in Spain, which as it was started in time for the Spanish GP is
rather ironic as well as disappointing.

There is no free to air coverage here in Spain either and next year
there will be none in the UK as far as I am aware as it is supposed to
be exclusive to Sky. So it looks like I will probably not be watching F1
next year. Are they doing a good job of promoting the sport?
M2T
2018-05-14 23:53:58 UTC
Post by keefy
Post by build
AND! here in Oz we only get access to the very small archive, *nothing
else*. We don't get any access to the live stuff (as advertised and
expected) *and* no access to F1, F2, GP3 and Porsche replays (which is
what they advertised and I wanted and thought I'd get) so we pay the
same but only get access to 5% of the archive.
Am I annoyed? Damn right I am.
From what I saw on formula1.com I would say it is very much the same
here in Spain, which as it was started in time for the Spanish GP is
rather ironic as well as disappointing.
There is no free to air coverage here in Spain either and next year
there will be none in the UK as far as I am aware as it is supposed to
be exclusive to Sky. So it looks like I will probably not be watching F1
next year. Are they doing a good job of promoting the sport?
You might be on your own. Apparently Brazil and Italy are giving F1 the
elbow in large numbers, because of the pay walls and lack of a local
driver to support. When LH retires, interest in F1 in the UK will plummet.
DumbedDownUSA
2018-05-15 09:33:00 UTC
Post by keefy
Post by build
AND! here in Oz we only get access to the very small archive,
*nothing else*. We don't get any access to the live stuff (as
advertised and expected) and no access to F1, F2, GP3 and
Porsche replays (which is what they advertised and I wanted and
thought I'd get) so we pay the same but only get access to 5% of
the archive.
Am I annoyed? Damn right I am.
From what I saw on formula1.com I would say it is very much the
same here in Spain, which as it was started in time for the
Spanish GP is rather ironic as well as disappointing.
There is no free to air coverage here in Spain either and next year
there will be none in the UK as far as I am aware as it is supposed
to be exclusive to Sky. So it looks like I will probably not be
watching F1 next year. Are they doing a good job of promoting the
sport?
You might be on your own. Apparently Brazil and Italy are giving F1
the elbow in large numbers, because of the pay walls and lack of a
local driver to support. When LH retires, interest in F1 in the UK
will plummet.
I think it may do so rather sooner than that. From next season there
will be no FTA live races broadcast in the UK. While the FTA highlights
package does well I think that is off the back of the live races.

The sky audience is dwarfed by FTA with some 5 out of 6 viewers
watching FTA. If the highlights audience drops off it will have a
significant impact on sponsorship.

While other countries pay a reasonable £7 or even less per month for
F1TV UK fans will have to pay six times as much. I think knowing that
will also have a rather negative affect on the psyche of potential Sky
subscribers.

Having said that F1 and even the British GP have always survived the
doomsaying of the past.
Trump averages six falsehoods a day; how you doin'?
keithr0
2018-05-15 09:57:12 UTC
Post by DumbedDownUSA
Post by M2T
Post by keefy
Post by build
AND! here in Oz we only get access to the very small archive,
*nothing else*. We don't get any access to the live stuff (as
advertised and expected) and no access to F1, F2, GP3 and
Porsche replays (which is what they advertised and I wanted and
thought I'd get) so we pay the same but only get access to 5% of
the archive.
Am I annoyed? Damn right I am.
From what I saw on formula1.com I would say it is very much the
[...]
In Australia, The minimum cost to get live coverage of F! is $44 (24.44
pounds) per month.
M2T
2018-05-15 10:19:21 UTC
Post by DumbedDownUSA
Post by M2T
You might be on your own. Apparently Brazil and Italy are giving F1
the elbow in large numbers, because of the pay walls and lack of a
local driver to support. When LH retires, interest in F1 in the UK
will plummet.
I think it may do so rather sooner than that. From next season there
will be no FTA live races broadcast in the UK. While the FTA highlights
package does well I think that is off the back of the live races.
The sky audience is dwarfed by FTA with some 5 out of 6 viewers
watching FTA. If the highlights audience drops off it will have a
significant impact on sponsorship.
Teams are already strugging for sponsors. Mercedes are the only team
with a major sponsor.
Post by DumbedDownUSA
While other countries pay a reasonable £7 or even less per month for
F1TV UK fans will have to pay six times as much. I think knowing that
will also have a rather negative affect on the psyche of potential Sky
subscribers.
A lot are paying Sky £100 a month for films and sport. With Amazon, BT,
Netflix chasing customers, the bubble has to burst eventually. Sky are
paying over £100m a year for F1. That's coming out of less than 700k
customers, as F1 Sky viewers have to pay extra for the F1 channel.
There's no Silverstone after 2019.
Naked Fame
2018-05-15 22:08:30 UTC
Post by DumbedDownUSA
While other countries pay a reasonable £7 or even less per month for
F1TV UK fans will have to pay six times as much.
Not true. Formula One is only cheap where no-one watches it. Wherever
there is popularity, there are Bernie's exclusive deals, and no rights
to stream.

I live in a periphery of the world, Finland. This is an insignificant
nation, with only 5.5 million people. But we are motorsport fans. Thus,
the sports package required for watching Formula 1 live is on MTV
("Mainos-TV", literally "TV with commercials"). So to watch F1 legally
here costs 24.95 euro per month. That's 300 euro per year. Yeah.

It appears our distributor's exclusive rights ends at the end of 2018,
so there is some hope that next year will be different. This will take
time. Hopefully it's worth it.
Signature
DumbedDownUSA
2018-05-16 06:25:26 UTC
Post by Naked Fame
Post by DumbedDownUSA
While other countries pay a reasonable £7 or even less per month for
F1TV UK fans will have to pay six times as much.
Not true. Formula One is only cheap where no-one watches it. Wherever
there is popularity, there are Bernie's exclusive deals, and no rights
to stream.
Well I didn't mean every other country, just those on the list.
Depending on how succesful it is I expect the list will grow as
contracts run their term.
Post by Naked Fame
I live in a periphery of the world, Finland. This is an insignificant
nation, with only 5.5 million people. But we are motorsport fans.
Thus, the sports package required for watching Formula 1 live is on
MTV ("Mainos-TV", literally "TV with commercials"). So to watch F1
legally here costs 24.95 euro per month. That's 300 euro per year.
Yeah.
Still cheaper than UK... which is nearer double that, though that is
ignoring the other stuff that comes with the deal, wanted or not.

You may still be able to get individual race days for around 10 euros a
day.
Post by Naked Fame
It appears our distributor's exclusive rights ends at the end of 2018,
so there is some hope that next year will be different. This will take
time. Hopefully it's worth it.
The Sky exclusive deal here is from next year for 5 years.
Trump averages six falsehoods a day; how you doin'?
Naked Fame
2018-05-16 12:24:51 UTC
Post by DumbedDownUSA
Post by Naked Fame
It appears our distributor's exclusive rights ends at the end of 2018,
so there is some hope that next year will be different. This will take
time. Hopefully it's worth it.
The Sky exclusive deal here is from next year for 5 years.
If F1 TV get better in the future, that truly sucks.
--
Signature