Getting SC strategy right
larkim
2018-04-16 09:54:32 UTC
Vettel and Bottas were past the pit entry when the SC was dropped, but
Hamilton and both RBR cars could have pitted.

As I understand things, broadly the team has a flag "pit now" or "don't pit"
as the automatic response to a SC being called which is updated constantly
throughout the race, so they don't need to "think" they just need to do
what the screen tells them.

Could / should Merc have done anything different when the SC was called for
Hamilton?

His positon would have been contingent on what the RBR cars did presumably?
Bobster
2018-04-16 11:31:05 UTC
Post by larkim
Vettel and Bottas were past the pit entry when the SC was dropped, but
Hamilton and both RBR cars could have pitted.
As I understand things, broadly the team has a flag "pit now" or "don't pit"
as the automatic response to a SC being called which is updated constantly
throughout the race, so they don't need to "think" they just need to do
what the screen tells them.
Could / should Merc have done anything different when the SC was called for
Hamilton?
His positon would have been contingent on what the RBR cars did presumably?
Horner was asked about this during the race, and said that his cars were in or approaching turn 14 when the SC signal was given. That's pretty late in the lap - the pit entry is off of turn 16.

IIRC Hamilton was running between the RBR cars.

Was it Merc being caught napping or RBR reacting very quickly? I incline towards the latter, but it is possible that both happened.
larkim
2018-04-16 12:22:40 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by larkim
[...]
I guess Ham's tactic was entirely contingent on RBRs, and given that he
was sandwiched in between he couldn't guarantee a right answer.

Pit following Max and Ricc might have been able to stay ahead on a one stop.

Pit with Max staying out, and then he might have assumed Ricc would follow
him.

Either way, he'd lose track position to a RBR with no guarantee of getting
past them later.
geoff
2018-04-16 20:19:55 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by larkim
[...]
Both. But a bit more of the latter.

geoff
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-16 22:56:01 UTC
Can you get any more fucking useless?
~misfit~
2018-04-17 00:29:12 UTC
Post by geoff
Post by Bobster
Post by larkim
[...]
I think that it's important to realise that the Mercedes isn't as good as
the RBR car in traffic (it's largely designed to lead after all) and
Hamilton may not have been as spectacular at passing as Ricciardo was on
fresh rubber - for two reasons. The car is one and Hamilton also wants to
collect points more than / as well as stand on the top step.

The strategy that's right for the Red Bull cars isn't always the strategy
that's right for Mercedes. It was obviously the right move for RBR but not
so clear for Mercedes. Hamilton *did* collect reasonable points on balance
so I don't think the Mercedes tactic was a fail per se.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-17 03:03:38 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
I think
Well that has not helped you in your pathetic life.

M2T
2018-04-16 16:51:02 UTC
Post by larkim
Vettel and Bottas were past the pit entry when the SC was dropped, but
Hamilton and both RBR cars could have pitted.
As I understand things, broadly the team has a flag "pit now" or "don't pit"
as the automatic response to a SC being called which is updated constantly
throughout the race, so they don't need to "think" they just need to do
what the screen tells them.
Could / should Merc have done anything different when the SC was called for
Hamilton?
His positon would have been contingent on what the RBR cars did presumably?
The Mercedes strategy dept must have been transferred from McLaren by
Paddy Lowe. They were shite there too. Any on-track incident could
lead to a SC or a VSC. Mercedes have been caught napping for both this
year. Mercedes management should be playing "What If" games non-stop
until the next race. If they fuck up again - sack the lot.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-16 23:00:37 UTC
Post by M2T
sack the lot.
Is that what happened to you at McDonalds?