2018 Pool - Another Year of Crushing Disappointment for dmunz...
2017-08-22 11:46:52 UTC
Well Ferrari has gone and done it. They resigned Kimi through 2018. This of course means my blind devotion to the Finn will result in another failed Pool campaign. Oh well.

I am curious if anyone knows what they (Ferrari) mean by:

"...renewed their technical and racing agreement..."

What is the "technical" bit? That seems like an odd way of putting things but I'm sure it is standard language.

TIA
Perhaps that means they have to tell him what all the buttons and knobs do?
alister
2017-08-22 20:04:29 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by D Munz
Well Ferrari has gone and done it. They resigned Kimi through 2018.
This of course means my blind devotion to the Finn will result in
another failed Pool campaign. Oh well.
"...renewed their technical and racing agreement..."
What is the "technical" bit? That seems like an odd way of putting
things but I'm sure it is standard language.
TIA DLM
Perhaps that means they have to tell him what all the buttons and knobs do?
Leave him alone he knows what he is doing
How come everyone's going so slow if it's called rush hour?
Sir Tim
2017-08-22 12:42:00 UTC
Post by D Munz
Well Ferrari has gone and done it. They resigned Kimi through 2018.
This fooled me for a moment, until I realized you meant re-signed :-)
2017-08-27 06:08:59 UTC
Post by D Munz
Well Ferrari has gone and done it. They resigned Kimi through 2018. This of course means my blind devotion to the Finn will result in another failed Pool campaign. Oh well.
"...renewed their technical and racing agreement..."
What is the "technical" bit? That seems like an odd way of putting things but I'm sure it is standard language.
I suspect a lot of top drivers don't have many options at the moment. What realistic options does Raikkonen have other than taking whatever Ferrari give him?

Hamilton still has a year to go at Merc. How long Ricciardo and Verstappen have at Red Bull seems to not be clear, but it is at least another year. Alonso might fancy moving, but he won't get into either of the three front running teams, and it's not yet clear that Renault could offer him a race winning car (or that they want him). He's burned some bridges, but even without that, he won't have many options - especially with the salary he's been used to earning.

Vettel's announced 3 year deal with Ferrari seems to have taken some people by surprise. It was rumoured that he wanted one year so that he could have a shot at a Merc seat when Hamilton's contract ran out. But as Brundle pointed out, at a press conference everybody will say "three years", they won't go into detail which may include various clauses that either party could invoke to end the relationship.

Bottas doesn't have a deal for next year. Kimi is on a one-year deal. So Ferrari and Merc could pounce in 2019 if somebody they like is available. 2018 in Merc's case, though I don't see who they might like that would be available.

I think it all revolves around Verstappen's availability.