Carey on grid girls
2018-02-10 06:17:05 UTC
"Actually if you just left it up to me, personally, I like the grid girls. But it's not a decision for me, it's a decision for fans. And I think what we found is that a number of people anecdotally raised the issue, and as I went around what I found was there was a meaningful segment that found it ... I don't know whether offensive is too strong - but found it exploitative or did not find it appropriate for the world we live in today.

"When you have as many people as I found who really felt it was outdated and who felt it didn't belong in the sport today, you have to be cognisant of that. The number that were passionately positive on the other side were much smaller."

http://kwese.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22378415/f1-boss-chase-carey-there-pretty-girls-races

So maybe LM did get an opinion from the fans.
geoff
2018-02-10 10:01:12 UTC
On 10/02/2018 7:17 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> "Actually if you just left it up to me, personally, I like the grid girls. But it's not a decision for me, it's a decision for fans. And I think what we found is that a number of people anecdotally raised the issue, and as I went around what I found was there was a meaningful segment that found it ... I don't know whether offensive is too strong - but found it exploitative or did not find it appropriate for the world we live in today.
>
> "When you have as many people as I found who really felt it was outdated and who felt it didn't belong in the sport today, you have to be cognisant of that. The number that were passionately positive on the other side were much smaller."
>
> http://kwese.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22378415/f1-boss-chase-carey-there-pretty-girls-races
>
> So maybe LM did get an opinion from the fans.

My description (and far moreso for Superbikes with their hot-pants etc)
is "cheesy".

2018-02-10 10:51:19 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet geoff wrote:
> On 10/02/2018 7:17 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
>> "Actually if you just left it up to me, personally, I like the grid
>> girls. But it's not a decision for me, it's a decision for fans. And
>> I think what we found is that a number of people anecdotally raised
>> the issue, and as I went around what I found was there was a
>> meaningful segment that found it ... I don't know whether offensive
>> is too strong - but found it exploitative or did not find it
>> appropriate for the world we live in today. "When you have as many
>> people as I found who really felt it was
>> outdated and who felt it didn't belong in the sport today, you have
>> to be cognisant of that. The number that were passionately positive
>> on the other side were much smaller."
>> http://kwese.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22378415/f1-boss-chase-carey-there-pretty-girls-races
>>
>> So maybe LM did get an opinion from the fans.
>>

> My description (and far moreso for Superbikes with their hot-pants
> etc) is "cheesy".
>
> geoff

Of course the number of people *for* grid girld who were "passionately
positive" would be smaller than the opposition. In the society we live in
they'd get called perverts and misogynists and would get eviscerated by
femi-nazis.

It's easy to just listen to the loudest voices but you need to understand
why some voices are quieter if you're going to make a decision on behalf of
others. Easy rarely equals right.

2018-02-10 21:10:46 UTC
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 12:51:24 UTC+2, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Once upon a time on usenet geoff wrote:
> > On 10/02/2018 7:17 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> >> "Actually if you just left it up to me, personally, I like the grid
> >> girls. But it's not a decision for me, it's a decision for fans. And
> >> I think what we found is that a number of people anecdotally raised
> >> the issue, and as I went around what I found was there was a
> >> meaningful segment that found it ... I don't know whether offensive
> >> is too strong - but found it exploitative or did not find it
> >> appropriate for the world we live in today. "When you have as many
> >> people as I found who really felt it was
> >> outdated and who felt it didn't belong in the sport today, you have
> >> to be cognisant of that. The number that were passionately positive
> >> on the other side were much smaller."
> >> http://kwese.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22378415/f1-boss-chase-carey-there-pretty-girls-races
> >>
> >> So maybe LM did get an opinion from the fans.
> >>

> > My description (and far moreso for Superbikes with their hot-pants
> > etc) is "cheesy".
> >
> > geoff
>
> Of course the number of people *for* grid girld who were "passionately
> positive" would be smaller than the opposition. In the society we live in
> they'd get called perverts and misogynists and would get eviscerated by
> femi-nazis.
>
> It's easy to just listen to the loudest voices but you need to understand
> why some voices are quieter if you're going to make a decision on behalf of
> others. Easy rarely equals right.

It seems to me that the far louder voice is that of the people who rattle on about tradition and how it's a man's sport. That's certainly the case on the F1 bulletin boards I read.

It doesn't help that this faction repeatedly take false positions. They exaggerate or twist nearly everything, and spout conspiracy theories and fake news. (Fake news, of course, finds more fertile soil on the conservative side.)
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-11 09:18:08 UTC
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 12:51:24 UTC+2, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Of course the number of people *for* grid girld who were "passionately
> positive" would be smaller than the opposition. In the society we live in
> they'd get called perverts and misogynists and would get eviscerated by
> femi-nazis.

Meh. Those forces get invoked as convenient constucts by people who can't accept that the world is moving on.

EG

Kid: "Gramps, today at school the teacher said that two men can live together and love each other and be married and it does nobody any harm."
Gramps: "Your teacher is scared of being got at by the feminazis"

> It's easy to just listen to the loudest voices but you need to understand
> why some voices are quieter if you're going to make a decision on behalf of
> others. Easy rarely equals right.

Who said "easy"? They're talking about numbers here. They're saying that the predominant message they got was that the grid girls are not appreciated.

Now, one person's right is another's wrong in many cases. Donald Trump thinks it's right to reduce taxes on the rich and to loosen the constraints on their businesses. Others think that's not right. But like it or not, Trump won more electoral college seats and he ends up in the white house.

Do you think Brexit is a good idea? I don't, and I remember when there was a discussion about it here, most razzers seemed to think it wasn't the way to go. But the Brexiteers got more votes and so Brexit will happen.

It's called democracy.

A majority vote doesn't mean that what was voted for was "right" in everybody's eyes, but that doesn't make the opposite true either.
bra
2018-02-10 16:34:30 UTC
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:01:20 AM UTC-8, geoff wrote:

> My description (and far moreso for Superbikes with their hot-pants etc)
> is "cheesy".
>
> geoff

In Germany they still use Playboy "bunnies" on thew grid!

Here is Lucy Gloeckner, dutifully smiling with her car and "bunny". Lucy has also had a long career racing superbikes.

http://www.superbike-idm.de/wp-content/gallery/2015-01-lausitzring-ii-fans/Fan_15_LAU_II_5IMP_Racetaxi6197.JPG

The bike circuit had Lucy standing with mini-skirt models:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Podium-Klasse-Superstock-1000.jpg
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-10 21:19:52 UTC
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 9:34:32 AM UTC-7, bra wrote:
> On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:01:20 AM UTC-8, geoff wrote:
> >
> > My description (and far moreso for Superbikes with their hot-pants etc)
> > is "cheesy".
> >
> > geoff
>
> In Germany they still use Playboy "bunnies" on thew grid!
>
> Here is Lucy Gloeckner, dutifully smiling with her car and "bunny". Lucy has also had a long career racing superbikes.
>
> http://www.superbike-idm.de/wp-content/gallery/2015-01-lausitzring-ii-fans/Fan_15_LAU_II_5IMP_Racetaxi6197.JPG
>

> The bike circuit had Lucy standing with mini-skirt models:
>
> http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Podium-Klasse-Superstock-1000.jpg

Hey bedshitter,
Is there a homosexual-only racing series you could follow?
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-11 04:04:25 UTC
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 23:19:54 UTC+2, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 9:34:32 AM UTC-7, bra wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:01:20 AM UTC-8, geoff wrote:
> > >
> > > My description (and far moreso for Superbikes with their hot-pants etc)
> > > is "cheesy".
> > >
> > > geoff
> >
> > In Germany they still use Playboy "bunnies" on thew grid!
> >
> > Here is Lucy Gloeckner, dutifully smiling with her car and "bunny". Lucy has also had a long career racing superbikes.
> >
> > http://www.superbike-idm.de/wp-content/gallery/2015-01-lausitzring-ii-fans/Fan_15_LAU_II_5IMP_Racetaxi6197.JPG
> >

> > The bike circuit had Lucy standing with mini-skirt models:
> >
> > http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Podium-Klasse-Superstock-1000.jpg
>
> Hey bedshitter,
> Is there a homosexual-only racing series you could follow?

If an F1 driver came out as gay, would you go bother Nascar fans? Thinking about it, it's likely that one or two men who bat for the other side have been on the podium by now.

You never know, some of them might even wash the dishes or change the baby or listen to classical music.