F1 will keep 'pretty girls'
keefy
2018-02-09 20:35:42 UTC
I know the article is primarily about FE but the last 5 paragraphs, ie
from the sub-heading I have used as the subject line, seem to suggest a
partial change in plans. Maybe LM do listen sometimes.

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/formula-e-to-continue-to-use-grid-girls-after-all-1003606/
~misfit~
2018-02-10 01:20:40 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet keefy wrote:
> I know the article is primarily about FE but the last 5 paragraphs, ie
> from the sub-heading I have used as the subject line, seem to suggest
> a partial change in plans. Maybe LM do listen sometimes.
>
> https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/formula-e-to-continue-to-use-grid-girls-after-all-1003606/

So it seems like they're saying they'll do away with grid girls but
encourage the 'beautiful people' to come to races (maybe with complimentary
tickets)?

Double standards much? They're fine with beautiful women who've paid their
dues wandering around with champagne and parasols but not happy to let those
dues get paid by holding drivers start positions in all weather at Grands
Prix. That sounds like elitism to me.

2018-02-10 03:26:51 UTC
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 6:20:44 PM UTC-7, ~misfit~ wrote:

> So it seems like they're saying they'll do away with grid girls but
> encourage the 'beautiful people' to come to races (maybe with complimentary
> tickets)?
>
> Double standards much? They're fine with beautiful women who've paid their
> dues wandering around with champagne and parasols but not happy to let those
> dues get paid by holding drivers start positions in all weather at Grands
> Prix. That sounds like elitism to me.

Yes. You are a piece of shit failure.
You cannot attend.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-10 03:57:34 UTC
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 03:20:44 UTC+2, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Once upon a time on usenet keefy wrote:
> > I know the article is primarily about FE but the last 5 paragraphs, ie
> > from the sub-heading I have used as the subject line, seem to suggest
> > a partial change in plans. Maybe LM do listen sometimes.
> >
> > https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/formula-e-to-continue-to-use-grid-girls-after-all-1003606/
>
> So it seems like they're saying they'll do away with grid girls but
> encourage the 'beautiful people' to come to races (maybe with complimentary
> tickets)?
>
> Double standards much? They're fine with beautiful women who've paid their
> dues wandering around with champagne and parasols but not happy to let those
> dues get paid by holding drivers start positions in all weather at Grands
> Prix. That sounds like elitism to me.

The problem with LM's stand is that their statement was pretty vague. So, of course, people make of it what they will.

It seems to me now, that LM would have done better to make their decision and not give it much air time, instead making the positive announcement about the young drivers. But they did make that announcement and did decide to mention "values".

So we don't know specifically what they didn't like about grid girls, though, again, they didn't say "no pretty girls" or any of the words that were put into their mouths. They said "no grid girls".

So what they not have liked about grid girls? I don't know, but how plausible is this: They understand that sponsors use scantily clad women as some sort of brand ambassador, and that this adds "glamour" to events, but they drew the line at women who, in whatever weather, have to stand on one spot, with a little sign, smiling dumbly whilst mechanics have a grope and photographers try to get a shot of their backside?

We don't know. The one thing that we do know is that a lot of people got alarmed by headlines rather than pay attention to what was actually said.

So now, if there are women clapping the top 3 onto the podium, LM will be called hypocrites, and the lads will proclaim that they won and we'll get more ill informed tosh in the media, and we'll get more faux concern about the rights of women to put on tight clothing for the titillation of men on discussion boards.
keefy
2018-02-10 18:36:10 UTC
On 10/02/18 04:57, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 February 2018 03:20:44 UTC+2, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Once upon a time on usenet keefy wrote:
>>> I know the article is primarily about FE but the last 5 paragraphs, ie
>>> from the sub-heading I have used as the subject line, seem to suggest
>>> a partial change in plans. Maybe LM do listen sometimes.
>>>
>>> https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/formula-e-to-continue-to-use-grid-girls-after-all-1003606/
>>
>> So it seems like they're saying they'll do away with grid girls but
>> encourage the 'beautiful people' to come to races (maybe with complimentary
>> tickets)?
>>
>> Double standards much? They're fine with beautiful women who've paid their
>> dues wandering around with champagne and parasols but not happy to let those
>> dues get paid by holding drivers start positions in all weather at Grands
>> Prix. That sounds like elitism to me.
>
> The problem with LM's stand is that their statement was pretty vague. So, of course, people make of it what they will.
>
> It seems to me now, that LM would have done better to make their decision and not give it much air time, instead making the positive announcement about the young drivers. But they did make that announcement and did decide to mention "values".
>
> So we don't know specifically what they didn't like about grid girls, though, again, they didn't say "no pretty girls" or any of the words that were put into their mouths. They said "no grid girls".
>
> So what they not have liked about grid girls? I don't know, but how plausible is this: They understand that sponsors use scantily clad women as some sort of brand ambassador, and that this adds "glamour" to events, but they drew the line at women who, in whatever weather, have to stand on one spot, with a little sign, smiling dumbly whilst mechanics have a grope and photographers try to get a shot of their backside?
>
> We don't know. The one thing that we do know is that a lot of people got alarmed by headlines rather than pay attention to what was actually said.
>
> So now, if there are women clapping the top 3 onto the podium, LM will be called hypocrites, and the lads will proclaim that they won and we'll get more ill informed tosh in the media, and we'll get more faux concern about the rights of women to put on tight clothing for the titillation of men on discussion boards.

So what would be the point of getting rid of the "grid girls" and
keeping the "clapping girls"? Maybe they are just trying to grab
headlines and attention with the old Marilyn Monroe thought "there is no
such thing as bad publicity"
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-10 20:55:49 UTC
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 20:36:12 UTC+2, keefy wrote:
> On 10/02/18 04:57, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> > The problem with LM's stand is that their statement was pretty vague. So, of course, people make of it what they will.
> >
> > It seems to me now, that LM would have done better to make their decision and not give it much air time, instead making the positive announcement about the young drivers. But they did make that announcement and did decide to mention "values".
> >
> > So we don't know specifically what they didn't like about grid girls, though, again, they didn't say "no pretty girls" or any of the words that were put into their mouths. They said "no grid girls".
> >
> > So what they not have liked about grid girls? I don't know, but how plausible is this: They understand that sponsors use scantily clad women as some sort of brand ambassador, and that this adds "glamour" to events, but they drew the line at women who, in whatever weather, have to stand on one spot, with a little sign, smiling dumbly whilst mechanics have a grope and photographers try to get a shot of their backside?
> >
> > We don't know. The one thing that we do know is that a lot of people got alarmed by headlines rather than pay attention to what was actually said.
> >
> > So now, if there are women clapping the top 3 onto the podium, LM will be called hypocrites, and the lads will proclaim that they won and we'll get more ill informed tosh in the media, and we'll get more faux concern about the rights of women to put on tight clothing for the titillation of men on discussion boards.
> >
> So what would be the point of getting rid of the "grid girls" and
> keeping the "clapping girls"? Maybe they are just trying to grab
> headlines and attention with the old Marilyn Monroe thought "there is no
> such thing as bad publicity"

Good question. For me, watching on TV, the grid girls were a non-issue. I knew they were there, but I didn't see them. The clapping on at the end of the race bothered me - though not so much that I'd take to a discussion board and say I'm never watching F1 again. It just seemed bogus and a bit out dated to me.

But the statement from LM was very specific, dealing with women used as place markers on the grid. That's what LM got a message about from the people they communicated with.
geoff
2018-02-11 00:06:14 UTC
On 11/02/2018 9:55 AM, ***@gmail.com wrote:

> Good question. For me, watching on TV, the grid girls were a non-issue. I knew they were there, but I didn't see them. The clapping on at the end of the race bothered me - though not so much that I'd take to a discussion board and say I'm never watching F1 again. It just seemed bogus and a bit out dated to me.

It is more the line-up of chicks on the way to the podium that irritates
me. A bit like " I'll have that this one, this one, this one, and that
one please".

> But the statement from LM was very specific, dealing with women used as place markers on the grid. That's what LM got a message about from the people they communicated with.

I would have though a Health & Safety issue having anybody unnecessary
on the grid.

2018-02-11 03:07:19 UTC

Is there a homosexual-only racing series that you can follow?
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-12 07:16:19 UTC
On Sunday, 11 February 2018 05:07:21 UTC+2, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 5:06:23 PM UTC-7, geoff wrote:
>
> > It is more the line-up of chicks on the way to the podium that irritates
> > me.
>
> Is there a homosexual-only racing series that you can follow?

They don't need their own series. They're already active in various series including NASCAR and GrandAm. And if you think about it, it's pretty long odds that there's never been a gay person driving in F1.

https://jalopnik.com/there-are-more-out-gay-racing-drivers-than-you-think-1155227213
Sir Tim
2018-02-12 08:41:37 UTC
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>And if you think about it, it's pretty long odds that there's never been a
> gay person driving in F1.

Mike Beuttler for one.

2018-02-12 09:20:14 UTC

Thanks. There's a name I had forgotten from my early days of following F1.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-12 12:16:56 UTC

Just to make my own position on this matter clear. I applaud the statements in that article from NASCAR and from the Waltrip team. This should actually be a non-matter.
b***@topmail.co.nz
2018-02-12 13:06:18 UTC

Is there a thrift shop near you that sells VHS tapes of The Benny Hill Show?
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-11 03:57:34 UTC

They're all off the grid 10 minutes before the start of the parade lap, thus 9 minutes before the cars are started. And H&S is not a universal code for F1 events.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-11 04:00:17 UTC

That's what I was getting at. And I think that's fairly recent. Or it only started bothering me fairly recently.
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-11 23:55:54 UTC

Please take care of yourself during this difficult time.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-11 09:22:08 UTC

Maybe it comes down to visibility? I know the grid girls are there, but I don't see them watching on TV. I get a screen full of the girls clapping the drivers onto the podium. Maybe it's the reverse situation at the track?
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-10 03:41:12 UTC
On Friday, 9 February 2018 22:35:44 UTC+2, keefy wrote:
> I know the article is primarily about FE but the last 5 paragraphs, ie
> from the sub-heading I have used as the subject line, seem to suggest a
> partial change in plans. Maybe LM do listen sometimes.
>
> https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/formula-e-to-continue-to-use-grid-girls-after-all-1003606/

They never said "no girls".

As I pointed out, a lot of folks didn't read LM's announcement properly (if at all). LM were very specific about what they were getting rid of. They didn't mention, for example, the women that clap the drivers onto the podium, nor women in promotional clothing that teams or sponsors may place in hospitality areas. Their announcement specifically dealt with "grid girls" - women standing on one spot for half and hour or so in whatever weather arrives with a marker for a grid spot.

If anything, according to that article, it is FE who have flip-flopped here.