The Stripes!
2018-06-25 04:40:42 UTC
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be the most over the top.
~misfit~
2018-06-25 06:21:58 UTC
Post by John
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be the most over the top.
Yeah. The paint is grippy and supposed to retard cars sliding but it does my
head in. It reminds me of those old airfield tracks where the track du jour
is painted onto a large flat area.

2018-06-25 07:13:22 UTC
Post by John
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be the most over the top.
Yeah. The paint is grippy and supposed to retard cars sliding but it does my
head in. It reminds me of those old airfield tracks where the track du jour
is painted onto a large flat area.
I guess it has to be something, because at those points the track is a
'large flat area'.

Could have been a solid colour, or chequered-flag design or something
else, but being frogs they just had to go for the tricolour.

On the basis that just looking "different" is good, I like it.
~misfit~
2018-06-25 09:41:22 UTC
Post by John
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be
the most over the top.
Yeah. The paint is grippy and supposed to retard cars sliding but it
does my head in. It reminds me of those old airfield tracks where
the track du jour is painted onto a large flat area.
I guess it has to be something, because at those points the track is a
'large flat area'.
Could have been a solid colour, or chequered-flag design or something
else, but being frogs they just had to go for the tricolour.
geoff
"Frogs"? Bernie owns that circuit.

Brian W Lawrence
2018-06-25 10:29:03 UTC
Post by John
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be
the most over the top.
Yeah. The paint is grippy and supposed to retard cars sliding but it
does my head in. It reminds me of those old airfield tracks where
the track du jour is painted onto a large flat area.
I guess it has to be something, because at those points the track is a
'large flat area'.
Could have been a solid colour, or chequered-flag design or something
else, but being frogs they just had to go for the tricolour.
geoff
"Frogs"? Bernie owns that circuit.
Bought it in 1999, but:

"Philippe Gurdjian, organizer of the Grand Prix de France F1 from 1985
to 1997, is mandated to carry out the renovation of the site, to make it
the first circuit in the world dedicated exclusively to testing and
communication, renamed Circuit Paul Ricard High Tech Test Track."

<https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/115639/former-gp-promoter-gurdjian-dies>

I believe the stripes were created around 2000-01.
News
Bernie has the anti-skid paint concession...
Alister
2018-06-25 09:32:51 UTC
Post by John
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be the most over the top.
sponsored by spec-savers?
--
"I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs."
- H. L. Mencken
D Munz
2018-06-25 11:48:56 UTC
Post by Alister
Post by John
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be the
most over the top.
sponsored by spec-savers?
--
"I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs."
- H. L. Mencken
But it also messed up (or prevented entirely) the use of overlay adds. Kind of hard to digital paste up an add when the background is such a mess. A positive, maybe???

Dan the Man
2018-06-25 16:19:35 UTC
The Sky announcers suggested it might cause hypnosis. I can't improve on that.
M2T
2018-06-25 17:10:55 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by John
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be the most over the top.
The Sky announcers suggested it might cause hypnosis. I can't improve on that.
I'd like to see it work on David Croft.

"You will stop shouting"
"You will cut back on the pointless, instantly forgettable stats"
"You will piss off at the end of this season"
jtees4
2018-06-26 12:58:56 UTC
Post by John
Other tracks have pointless decoration, but the stripes have to be the most over the top.
Anooying, yes! But must look very cool from an aeroplane...or a flying
saucer. or a satellite.