Stroll out of his depth.
2017-05-29 11:20:27 UTC
I don't know who heard the radio communication between Stroll and the pits
during a safety car period but it sounded like he was really scared and not
enjoying himself at all on cold tyres. Not long afterwards he went into the
pits for a toasty set straight out of the blankets but still had trouble and
soon retired.

My take (fwiw) is that he's trying hard to please his father but, by dint of
his fathers millions has been promoted beyond his skill level. Not just too
soon but because he doesn't have it in him to wrestle a 1,000 hp car around
a track at crazy speeds. After hearing the radio message I actually feel
sorry for him. (Some) Fathers have a lot to answer for and some forms of
child abuse are socially accepted.

2017-05-29 20:02:38 UTC
I don't know who heard the radio communication between Stroll and the pits
during a safety car period but it sounded like he was really scared and not
enjoying himself at all on cold tyres.
Yeah he seemed to be saying he was unable to keep or make them warmed up.

2017-05-30 01:39:58 UTC
I don't know who heard the radio communication between Stroll and
the pits during a safety car period but it sounded like he was
really scared and not enjoying himself at all on cold tyres.
Yeah he seemed to be saying he was unable to keep or make them warmed up.
Yep. He was over-using the brakes under the safety car in an attempt to keep
his fronts tyres warm. The team told him that the brakes were dangerously
hot and to get off them. Then we heard what seemed to be (going by pauses
and crackles) three parts of a radio message, his side only, stitched
together;

"I'm losing a lot of brake temp, it's really bad, the overall grip.

Well if I don't brake then I have no temperature and I'm going to crash as
soon as we re-start so...

If I don't have brakes then I don't have tyre temperature and I don't know
what to do. Please help me."

The message was played on lap 64, during the safety car bought out by Jens
losing his rag with the twat Wehrlein. The way he said "Please help me", the
tone of voice, the message itself showed that he was very much out of his
depth and he didn't want to be in that car.

It seemed that Stroll wasn't weaving to keep up tyre temps enough (probably
out of fear of losing the front of car), instead he was just riding the
brakes and throttle and 'cooking' the brakes in the process.

After the track went green Williams bought him in for new hotter boots but a
few laps later he retired. (Official reason given 'overheating brakes'.) IMO
this wasn't the actions of a 'true racer', rather that of a trained driver
who had reached the point where training alone wasn't enough. I can't see
Lance having a second season in F1.

Hopefully Williams can find a driver with both money *and* skill for 2018.
The fact that they had so many sessions with Lance and the 2014 car
pre-season says to me that they weren't comfortable putting him in an F1 car
in the heat of a GP. I guess at some point they had to let go of the back of
the bike seat and let him ride or crash...