Vanwall’s constructors’ championship in ’58 changed Grand Prix racing forever
Add Reply
a425couple
2018-08-29 23:44:10 UTC
For those who have an interest in the great changes that went on
in F1 racing in the first dozen years, Here is a recent story from
Autoweek, that I very much enjoyed.

"VANWALL’S CONSTRUCTORS’ CHAMPIONSHIP IN ’58 CHANGED GRAND PRIX RACING
FOREVER
Inflection point
AUGUST 1, 2018

Casablanca, October 1958. A cool breeze off the Atlantic provides
spectators at trackside some relief from the afternoon sun, but Stirling
Moss hardly notices. It’s the final race of the Formula 1 season, and
Moss needs everything to go his way today if he’s going to win the title
he covets: a victory, fastest lap and for his rival and fellow
countryman, Ferrari’s Mike Hawthorn, to finish no better than third.------"

AUTOWEEK.COM

https://autoweek.com/article/autoweek-60/vanwalls-constructors-championship-58-changed-grand-prix-racing-forever
~misfit~
2018-08-30 01:46:51 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet a425couple wrote:
> For those who have an interest in the great changes that went on
> in F1 racing in the first dozen years, Here is a recent story from
> Autoweek, that I very much enjoyed.
>
> "VANWALL'S CONSTRUCTORS' CHAMPIONSHIP IN '58 CHANGED GRAND PRIX RACING
> FOREVER
> Inflection point
> AUGUST 1, 2018
>
> Casablanca, October 1958. A cool breeze off the Atlantic provides
> spectators at trackside some relief from the afternoon sun, but
> Stirling Moss hardly notices. It's the final race of the Formula 1
> season, and Moss needs everything to go his way today if he's going to win
> the
> title he covets: a victory, fastest lap and for his rival and fellow
> countryman, Ferrari's Mike Hawthorn, to finish no better than
> third.------"
> AUTOWEEK.COM
>
> https://autoweek.com/article/autoweek-60/vanwalls-constructors-championship-58-changed-grand-prix-racing-forever

[Removed CART group crossposting]
A very relevant quote:

**Vandervell was heard in the pits gleefully mocking Vittorio Jano and his
Ferraris' deafening Lancia V8s: "All the power is coming out of the pipes!"**

2018-08-30 12:43:17 UTC

Hence, reference to the "loud pedal"
a425couple
2018-08-30 15:03:18 UTC
On 8/29/2018 6:46 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Once upon a time on usenet a425couple wrote:
>> For those who have an interest in the great changes that went on
>> in F1 racing in the first dozen years, Here is a recent story from
>> Autoweek, that I very much enjoyed.
>>
>> "VANWALL'S CONSTRUCTORS' CHAMPIONSHIP IN '58 CHANGED GRAND PRIX RACING
>> FOREVER
>> Inflection point
>> AUGUST 1, 2018
>>
>> Casablanca, October 1958. A cool breeze off the Atlantic provides
>> spectators at trackside some relief from the afternoon sun, but
>> Stirling Moss hardly notices. It's the final race of the Formula 1
>> season, and Moss needs everything to go his way today if he's going to win
>> the
>> title he covets: a victory, fastest lap and for his rival and fellow
>> countryman, Ferrari's Mike Hawthorn, to finish no better than
>> third.------"
>> AUTOWEEK.COM
>>
>> https://autoweek.com/article/autoweek-60/vanwalls-constructors-championship-58-changed-grand-prix-racing-forever
>
> [Removed CART group crossposting]
> A very relevant quote:
>
> **Vandervell was heard in the pits gleefully mocking Vittorio Jano and his
> Ferraris' deafening Lancia V8s: "All the power is coming out of the pipes!"**

Yes, that was a good one.

The last 3 paragraphs are a good conclusion.
Indeed, the world of F1, very quickly changed because of them.

"Tony Vandervell was never the same after Lewis-Evans’ death, and a
decade of the F1 circus had worn on him. In announcing his retirement,
he wrote, “The Vanwall achievements have shown that a green car can win
with a comparatively small organization. I must now leave the good work
to the other green car manufacturers, and I wish them good luck.” He
died in 1967 at the age of 68.

The other green cars took up right where he left off. Cooper, Lotus,
Brabham and even BRM went on to win constructors’ trophies over the next
decade. Still more Brits followed, even if the cars weren’t always
green. Perhaps the most surprising postscript to the Vanwall story is
the part about Stuart Lewis-Evans’ manager, who, like Vandervell, had
been so devastated after Morocco that he walked away from racing.
Unlike, Vandervell, however, his retirement proved temporary. You may
have heard of him. Guy by the name of Ecclestone.

As for the cars themselves, for all their accomplishments, their legacy
is slightly muddled by the brevity of their reign and how quickly the
world changed upon its conclusion. As L. J. K. Setright wrote in his
definitive racing history, “The Grand Prix,” that “despite the
spaceframe construction, independent front suspension and scientifically
contoured bodywork, the front-engined four-cylinder Vanwall was the
apotheosis of the vintage car, rather long, rather narrow and with the
driver sitting high up in the rear to command a distant view of the
proceedings over a rather tall engine. No car remotely resembling it
would ever again win the championship.”

"Inflection point" was originally published in Autoweek's July 16, 2018,
60th anniversary issue.

Read more:
https://autoweek.com/article/autoweek-60/vanwalls-constructors-championship-58-changed-grand-prix-racing-forever#ixzz5PfqDwnzm
bra
2018-08-30 15:38:33 UTC
On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 8:03:59 AM UTC-7, a425couple wrote:
> On 8/29/2018 6:46 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Once upon a time on usenet a425couple wrote:
> >> For those who have an interest in the great changes that went on
> >> in F1 racing in the first dozen years, Here is a recent story from
> >> Autoweek, that I very much enjoyed.
> >>
> >> "VANWALL'S CONSTRUCTORS' CHAMPIONSHIP IN '58 CHANGED GRAND PRIX RACING
> >> FOREVER

Has anyone driven or knows a driver, of the Vanwall road-car replicas?

https://peterazor.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/vanwall_rear_paul-harmer.jpg
Geoff May
2018-08-30 16:52:19 UTC
On 30/08/2018 16:38, bra wrote:
> On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 8:03:59 AM UTC-7, a425couple wrote:

> Has anyone driven or knows a driver, of the Vanwall road-car replicas?
>
> https://peterazor.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/vanwall_rear_paul-harmer.jpg

I vaguely recall them being discussed on Top Gear ... Didn't Clarkson
drive one? I think it was about 10 years ago and I'm sure they said they
were £100K each.

Cheers

Geoff
t***@gmail.com
2018-08-30 16:38:27 UTC
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 7:46:57 PM UTC-6, ~misfit~ wrote:

> [Removed CART group crossposting]

Oh fucking goody for you.
Fuck off.
Mark Jackson
2018-08-30 16:50:14 UTC
On 8/29/2018 7:44 PM, a425couple wrote:
> For those who have an interest in the great changes that went on in
> F1 racing in the first dozen years, Here is a recent story from
> Autoweek, that I very much enjoyed.
>
> "VANWALL’S CONSTRUCTORS’ CHAMPIONSHIP IN ’58 CHANGED GRAND PRIX
> RACING FOREVER"

As it happens I've recently reread /Vanwall: The Story of Tony
Vandervell and His Racing Cars/ (Denis Jenkinson and Cyril Posthumus).
Lots of detail about the early efforts with the Thinwall Specials and
the struggles before 1958; the treatment of the championship season
seems rather cursory by comparison. Well worth a look for those interested.

'My country, right or wrong,' is a thing that no patriot
would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like
saying, 'My mother, drunk or sober.' - G. K. Chesterton
bra
2018-08-30 19:20:34 UTC
On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 9:50:22 AM UTC-7, Mark Jackson wrote:

Before the name Vanwall, it was the Thinwall Special. Here is Reg Parnell at Silverstone in the very wet 1951 GP

http://www.forix.com/8w/ferrari/rp-intltr51.jpg

The three Thinwall "Ferraris" were almost entirely built at Vandervell, in Acton's Park Royal, especially the last one, which retired in 1954, and many years later totally re-created with almost no original parts.
Among the many Ferrari-sourced components hoarded and cobwebbed at Acton was a Superamerica gearbox, unwanted when the Vanwall F1 was being developed, so an enterprising VP mechanic took it home and raced it successfully in his stock car until 1965.