A German tech article
2017-09-12 13:58:39 UTC
<http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/fluch-f1-hybrid-technik-12561588.html>

I'd hate to see the MGU-H go. To my mind it's the perfect solution to the
problems that beset turbochargers without the increased fuel consumption of
a supercharger. Being able to both harvest energy and spool up the
compressor to compensate for turbo lag is the soluton that turbochargers
have been waiting for.

Forget variable vane technology or multiple smaller turbos. Once (if?) the
MGU-H becomes mainsteam then turbocharged ICEs will be considrably better
performing and far more efficient. Worth taking the pain for now IMO.

2017-09-13 08:02:53 UTC
<http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/fluch-f1-hybrid-technik-12561588.html>
I'd hate to see the MGU-H go. To my mind it's the perfect solution to the
problems that beset turbochargers without the increased fuel consumption of
a supercharger. Being able to both harvest energy and spool up the
compressor to compensate for turbo lag is the soluton that turbochargers
have been waiting for.
Forget variable vane technology or multiple smaller turbos. Once (if?) the
MGU-H becomes mainsteam then turbocharged ICEs will be considrably better
performing and far more efficient. Worth taking the pain for now IMO.
I don't know what is going to happen but since the dumbest company in the world is
too stupid to develop an F1 engine, they might decide to dumb it down to the level
of that dumb company.
So maybe we will see two stroke engines in the future only to find out that honda forgot
how to make such an engine too.

Oh.. ...give it a rest.
Bigbird
2017-09-13 09:09:37 UTC
Oh.. ...give it a rest.
LOL
geoff

2017-09-13 11:10:57 UTC
Post by Edmund
Post by ~misfit~
[...]
Two-stroke ? No, burn too much oil.

2017-09-13 11:37:20 UTC
<http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/fluch-f1-hybrid-technik-12561588.html>
I'd hate to see the MGU-H go. To my mind it's the perfect solution to
the problems that beset turbochargers without the increased fuel
consumption of a supercharger. Being able to both harvest energy and
spool up the compressor to compensate for turbo lag is the soluton
that turbochargers have been waiting for.
Forget variable vane technology or multiple smaller turbos. Once
(if?) the MGU-H becomes mainsteam then turbocharged ICEs will be
considrably better performing and far more efficient. Worth taking
the pain for now IMO.
In fact I'd like to see the FIA allow *two* clutches on the MGU-H shaft so
that not only can the MGU spin up the compressor without having the drag of
spinning the turbine but also they can harvest more efficiently by not
having to spin the compressor when decelerating, allowing more energy to be
harvested.