Vietnamese GP in 2019
2018-02-14 06:54:48 UTC
It seems a Vietnamese GP in 2019 is pretty close, they're at the serious end of negotiations. Also the Danish GP is now a serious bid.

beers,
build
b***@topmail.co.nz
2018-02-15 10:09:10 UTC
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 2:54:50 PM UTC+8, build wrote:
> It seems a Vietnamese GP in 2019 is pretty close, they're at the serious end of negotiations. Also the Danish GP is now a serious bid.
>
> beers,
> build

Denmark seems a strange venue. They have 150% sales tax on cars.
Also claimed to have the lowest road deaths. Perhaps that means people are
more careful, having spent so much to buy a car.
Bruce Hoult
2018-02-15 10:26:50 UTC
On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 1:09:13 PM UTC+3, ***@topmail.co.nz wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 2:54:50 PM UTC+8, build wrote:
> > It seems a Vietnamese GP in 2019 is pretty close, they're at the serious end of negotiations. Also the Danish GP is now a serious bid.
> >
> > beers,
> > build
>
> Denmark seems a strange venue. They have 150% sales tax on cars.
> Also claimed to have the lowest road deaths. Perhaps that means people are
> more careful, having spent so much to buy a car.

I spent nine days in November driving in Denmark in a rental car --- a 1.6l turbo diesel Qashqai with all the latest goodies .. auto wipers, auto on/off/dip headlights, speed limit recognition, blind spot warning, lane departure warning etc etc. Surprisingly peppy *and* economical.

While Denmark and especially Copenhagen are known for "everyone" bicycling everywhere (which is true enough), they also have a dense network of very good motorways, with speed limits up to 130 km/h. In the vicinity of Copenhagen there is something close to a rectangular grid of motorways with seldom more than 5 km between two parallel roads. They all seem to flow pretty freely, even at peak times.

They're not even all that law-abiding. Somewhere on E20 between the Storebaeltsbroen bridge and Koge I sat for about 10 minutes in the middle of a train of cars in the left lane all doing 160 - 165 km/h.