Cost of a Lotus 49 in 1968
bra
2018-01-21 23:59:55 UTC
Minus engine and gearbox.

This is from an Autolite advert: Loading Image...

In 1968 I was happy to pull in one thousand pounds a year, so 6 years gross income would've got me a Lotus 49.

Does ANY team offer their current F1 car for private sale?
t***@gmail.com
2018-01-22 00:30:00 UTC
Hi queer. Why the all caps with 'any'?
bra
2018-01-22 01:05:12 UTC
To torment you.
geoff
2018-01-22 02:37:11 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by bra
Does ANY team offer their current F1 car for private sale?
Hi queer. Why the all caps with 'any'?
Some of your bottom-buddy Trump's tweets are ALL capitals !

geoff
m***@gmail.com
2018-01-23 09:56:14 UTC
Post by bra
Minus engine and gearbox.
This is from an Autolite advert: http://www.oldstox.com/images/lotus%20in%201968.jpg
In 1968 I was happy to pull in one thousand pounds a year, so 6 years gross income would've got me a Lotus 49.
Does ANY team offer their current F1 car for private sale?
There's not much point. Back in the 60s there were teams in the WDC that entered cars that they bought from another team, there was the Tasman series and there were local F1 championships. And anybody who bought such a car could do a deal with Cosworth or some tuning shop for motors.

For a while, you could also sell the tubs to people who wanted to use then in hill climbing.

But now? Say a car did come up for sale. The systems on it would be so complex that the cost of running the car and having the staff to run it would dissuade most potential buyers, even if they could afford the tub and could source and afford an engine that would fit. And you never know, Zak Brown might get a mate to buy a Red Bull "for hill climbing", so that they could take a good look at how it is made. So any sale would have to deal with IP issues, and satisfy FIA that the car isn't going to be used for pile on the test miles.

Nah. Not worth it - for either party.

The only way you'd get them now is if a team went belly up and you bought the assets. Somebody somewhere has a couple of Manor tubs.

I don't think that in 30 years time we'll see Hamilton's Merc in a historic series.
m***@gmail.com
2018-01-23 10:10:06 UTC
Super Aguri started off with a design (if not the actual physical tub) that they had bought when Arrows went bust.
Mark Jackson
2018-01-23 16:59:22 UTC
Post by bra
Minus engine and gearbox.
http://www.oldstox.com/images/lotus%20in%201968.jpg
In 1968 I was happy to pull in one thousand pounds a year, so 6 years
gross income would've got me a Lotus 49.
Does ANY team offer their current F1 car for private sale?
Not current, but closer:

Ayrton Senna's final Monaco Grand Prix winning F1 car for auction

"Although Bonhams will not quote an exact estimate, it expects the
McLaren to fetch a high seven-figure sum when it goes up for auction on
May 11 at the Monaco Sale.

"In November last year Michael Schumacher's final Monaco Grand
Prix-winning 2001 Ferrari sold for $7.5million, making it the most
valuable modern era F1 car ever sold at auction."

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/134015
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were
a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of
methane and ammonia must be silent? - Richard Feynman