F1 TV Monico
2018-05-26 13:15:34 UTC
I'm watching F1 TV live now and here are a few thoughts:

1. No hiccups with the signal so far. They seem to have worked out the issues with the main feed. There are still stutters and jump on the driver cams but I think that is a feature of the signal as they move around the track.

2. You can't pause or rewind during the live stream. This is too bad as it makes the ability to switch to driver cams less useful on live. You should still be able to do it on the replay.

3. In the driver view if you are listening to the FX (ambient sound only), you don't get the team radio. You do get the world feed radio injects when watching the main feed in FX mode.)

4. The driver feed Team Radio is completely free and clear of censorship. Kimi was very unhappy with Botas for blocking him in the tunnel. (In the calm Scandinavian sort of way...)

5. It is still really cool to just listen to the noise. The Main Feed on FX is probable the bases way to watch IMHO.

6. There is no feed from the VER car. I suppose that is obvious but I thought it worth checking on. It would be really cool if they were running the video and/or the FX feed while they worked on the car.

TAFN
PS. Yes, I spelled Monaco wrong in the subject line. I was typing that while listening to Kimi's Team Radio and got distracted...
D Munz
2018-05-26 13:19:38 UTC
7. When watching the driver view with Team Radio on, there is no indication when the coms are on. If you are watching the replay (so you can fast forward) you won't have a visual cue to know when they are talking. I guess you will have to look at the time of events where you want to listen in or listen through the entire broadcast.
D Munz
2018-05-26 13:22:54 UTC
8. There is no video or FX feed when the cars are in the garage. It looks like the feed cuts off as the car is rolled into position at the back of the garage.
D Munz
2018-05-26 14:13:04 UTC
9. I was able to stream the ESPN2 feed (herein the states) alongside the F1 TV feed and they were very closely synced. The F1 TV feed was 1 or 2 seconds ahead of the ESPN feed.

I'll run through the replay later today to see if all the controls really work and check on the various driver feeds. I think the replay is still the best use for F1 TV given the inability to pause or rewind the live feed (both of which are available on the ESPN feed over cable thanks to the DVR box.)

Naked Fame
2018-05-31 09:28:01 UTC
Post by D Munz
I'll run through the replay later today to see if all the controls
really work and check on the various driver feeds. I think the replay
is still the best use for F1 TV given the inability to pause or rewind
the live feed (both of which are available on the ESPN feed over cable
thanks to the DVR box.)
Now I feel a bit miffed that the stream is not available in my
country. They'd get my money for sure.
Signature
Willsy
2018-05-31 12:25:08 UTC
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
I'll run through the replay later today to see if all the controls
really work and check on the various driver feeds. I think the replay
is still the best use for F1 TV given the inability to pause or rewind
the live feed (both of which are available on the ESPN feed over cable
thanks to the DVR box.)
Now I feel a bit miffed that the stream is not available in my
country. They'd get my money for sure.
--
Signature
Me too. Here in the UK Sky has it pretty much sewn up. And apparently totally
sewn up next year. Fuck 'em. Even though I have Sky TV, they're not getting
my money.
D Munz
2018-05-31 17:12:01 UTC
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
I'll run through the replay later today to see if all the controls
really work and check on the various driver feeds. I think the replay
is still the best use for F1 TV given the inability to pause or rewind
the live feed (both of which are available on the ESPN feed over cable
thanks to the DVR box.)
Now I feel a bit miffed that the stream is not available in my
country. They'd get my money for sure.
--
Signature
Me too. Here in the UK Sky has it pretty much sewn up. And apparently totally
sewn up next year. Fuck 'em. Even though I have Sky TV, they're not getting
my money.
Just out of curiosity have you considered the F1 TV Access level? It's GBP18/year or GBP2.3/month. They upload the full race replay so it might be worth a month to try it out. I'm not a salesman for F1 but I think the replay's are brilliant fun to watch (given the level of control you have over what you can watch and listen to) and the archive is getting better and better.

2018-05-31 20:01:35 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
I'll run through the replay later today to see if all the
controls really work and check on the various driver feeds. I
think the replay is still the best use for F1 TV given the
inability to pause or rewind the live feed (both of which are
available on the ESPN feed over cable thanks to the DVR box.)
Now I feel a bit miffed that the stream is not available in my
country. They'd get my money for sure.
--
Signature
Me too. Here in the UK Sky has it pretty much sewn up. And
apparently totally sewn up next year. Fuck 'em. Even though I have
Sky TV, they're not getting my money.
Just out of curiosity have you considered the F1 TV Access level?
It's GBP18/year or GBP2.3/month.
You are currently in an unsupported region.
F1TV isn’t currently available in every territory.
M2T
2018-05-31 23:39:58 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
I'll run through the replay later today to see if all the
controls really work and check on the various driver feeds. I
think the replay is still the best use for F1 TV given the
inability to pause or rewind the live feed (both of which are
available on the ESPN feed over cable thanks to the DVR box.)
Now I feel a bit miffed that the stream is not available in my
country. They'd get my money for sure.
--
Signature
Me too. Here in the UK Sky has it pretty much sewn up. And
apparently totally sewn up next year. Fuck 'em. Even though I have
Sky TV, they're not getting my money.
Just out of curiosity have you considered the F1 TV Access level?
It's GBP18/year or GBP2.3/month.
You are currently in an unsupported region.
F1TV isn’t currently available in every territory.
I don't know if anyone has been able to join from the UK using a VPN.
Might as well continue to use 'other' free ways of connecting to Sky,
next year. The thought is being forced to listen to Croft's screaming is
putting me right off.

F1TV offers a commentary free audio channel, like the Beeb used to on
the Red Button. Absolute bliss.
D Munz
2018-06-01 00:58:31 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
[...]
I suspect that they base the subscription access on your billing address. If you have an address in one of the open regions, you might be able to sign up. Using VPN is a different question. I'll probably be in the UK for business later this summer so I'll try and access my Pro subscription over VPN.

In ther reverse, I've never managed to get that BBC app (iplayer??) to work from the state over VPN. But then I couldn't even get it work in the UK. Might have something to do with the way it identifies my iPad or laptop.

2018-06-01 00:54:17 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
I'll run through the replay later today to see if all the
controls really work and check on the various driver feeds. I
think the replay is still the best use for F1 TV given the
inability to pause or rewind the live feed (both of which are
available on the ESPN feed over cable thanks to the DVR box.)
Now I feel a bit miffed that the stream is not available in my
country. They'd get my money for sure.
--
Signature
Me too. Here in the UK Sky has it pretty much sewn up. And
apparently totally sewn up next year. Fuck 'em. Even though I have
Sky TV, they're not getting my money.
Just out of curiosity have you considered the F1 TV Access level?
It's GBP18/year or GBP2.3/month.
You are currently in an unsupported region.
F1TV isn’t currently available in every territory.
People in the UK can subscribe to the F1 TV Access level. That includes the app for live data and access to the replays when posted. It also includes access to the archive.

2018-06-01 05:27:35 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Bigbird
Post by D Munz
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
[...]
Where are you getting your information?

I am in the UK. That is the message I get when I try the replay. When I
sign in from France I get access to the replay as you describe.

I also note that they appear to have removed a monthly option for F1TV
Pro, which is a disappointment.

(note the asterisks below)

Package information
Full replays and highlights from every F1 session*
Watch races from F1's historic archive*
Watch documentaries from F1’s archive
Access to exclusive live timing data†
Access to selected team radio†
Tyre usage history†
Driver tracker map†
*Only available in certain regions
†Available within Formula1.com and/or the F1 App
D Munz
2018-06-01 13:07:32 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Bigbird
Post by D Munz
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
[...]
I'm just going to the F1 TV website. There is a after the subscribe page, there is a "Where will you watch?" dropdown. This list does not include the UK for PRO but does include the UK for Access. I assumed that meant that PRO was restricted from the UK but Access was available. It shows the pricing in Pounds Sterling.

Maybe this has something to do with my looking in from a US IP address and it confuses the system.

I'll see what happens later today if I VPN with a UK server.

2018-06-01 15:17:25 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Bigbird
Post by D Munz
Post by Bigbird
Post by D Munz
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
[...]
You can buy Access from the UK but per package info* you won't get
access.
Willsy
2018-06-04 15:26:25 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Willsy
Post by Naked Fame
Post by D Munz
[...]
Is it available to punters in the UK? Do you have to link and I'll try it.

Thanks