Moaning' Romain Grosjean
2017-07-15 17:37:36 UTC
Toto Wolff: 'Moaning' Romain Grosjean lucky to be in Formula 1
By Jonathan Noble Saturday July 15th 2017 Formula 1
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130760

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has hit out at Romain Grosjean's "moaning"
about being blocked by Lewis Hamilton, saying his troubled Formula 1
past makes him ill-placed to comment on others.

Grosjean remains furious that Hamilton escaped sanction for impeding him
during Q3 at the British Grand Prix, and went as far as suggesting that
the FIA only let the polesitter off because he was fighting for the
world championship.

Unimpressed by those comments, Wolff said Grosjean should be thankful to
have an F1 career at all given his history - which includes a race ban
for causing a startline crash at the 2012 Belgian GP.

"There are some that moan all the time," said Wolff when asked to
respond to Grosjean's remarks.

"They just continue moaning. I don't want to even comment.

"If Romain Grosjean comes out and starts asking for penalties for other
drivers, you should rather look at his track record.

"He should be happy he is driving in F1."

Haas team principal Gunther Steiner backed his driver, and argued that
if Grosjean had blocked Hamilton in a similar manner he would almost
certainly have been penalised.

"If you step back and ask yourself, what would they have done if Romain
had done that to Hamilton? That I think should answer that," said Steiner.

"Something needs to be done. If he says 'that [penalising Hamilton]
wouldn't have made your position better' - I know.

"But if we would have impeded Hamilton, if we get penalised, it means a
lot to us because we go back on the grid and we lose points.

"We both have something to lose, so don't do it.

"He's a world champion, he's better than that. Why does he need to impede?

"And as soon as someone is in his way, it's a disaster.

"We need to get a little bit more equal because there's always a
discussion, how do we bring the field closer together?

"If we create two classes, we will never [get closer].

"We have the class that decides for itself what to do, then we have the
other ones.

"We need to get it together, and there seems to be never any consistency
with the penalties. It's always who is who."
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.
News
Yup. The Golden Rule. They who have the gold, rule.
Dan the Man
One of the NBC guys said HAM was likely just trying to create more open track for himself - maybe he was unaware of GRO's flying lap? Everyone involved should just settle down.
Sir Tim
2017-07-16 06:26:18 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by .
[...]
Hamilton gave his side of the story:

"I was coming around to start my lap, Valtteri [Bottas] was up ahead, so I
was, as we all do, trying to get the space," Hamilton explained after
qualifying.

"Behind me was one of the Force Indias, who then came in, so there was
no-one behind me, but literally as I was about to get on the gas I looked
in the mirror and saw there was a car coming.

"I don't know if I got in the way, and if I did I apologise, I obviously
wasn't…

"I had no indication from the team that there was anyone coming, and I
think I just got away without blocking him, but I need to look at the
footage…"