Let's have out with it - Ferrari strategy calls
2017-05-28 15:38:39 UTC
Here's how I think it went in - before the race and during
1) Vettel had had better long run pace in FP.
2) Raikkonen was leading the race and got priority
3) Vettel stayed out and had very good pace
4) Vettel got lucky when Sauber pulled in Ericsson just as Vettel was going to come up on his rear - this creates some open air for Vettel to run in
5) Vettel gets in the fast laps and makes just enough of a gap to pit and come out in front.

I don't think anything was planned ahead of time. It is possible that Ferrari saw Vettel's pace and decided to give him a chance to make the overcut work. They couldn't know that the Sauber would pit - indeed initially it looked like Vettel was going to run into traffic and Raikkonen would thus end up in front on the row.

Whatever, Vettel had to make it work. And he did. He was faster.

Interestingly, and again Ferrari could not have known this in real time, the undercut didn't work in this race, and the overcut worked nearly every time.
Martin Harran
2017-05-28 16:04:58 UTC
Here's how I think it went in - before the race and during
1) Vettel had had better long run pace in FP.
2) Raikkonen was leading the race and got priority
3) Vettel stayed out and had very good pace
4) Vettel got lucky when Sauber pulled in Ericsson just as Vettel was going to come up on his rear - this creates some open air for Vettel to run in
5) Vettel gets in the fast laps and makes just enough of a gap to pit and come out in front.
I don't think anything was planned ahead of time. It is possible that Ferrari saw Vettel's pace and decided to give him a chance to make the overcut work. They couldn't know that the Sauber would pit - indeed initially it looked like Vettel was going to run into traffic and Raikkonen would thus end up in front on the row.
Whatever, Vettel had to make it work. And he did. He was faster.
I said back in his RB times that those who put it all down to car
superiority were seriously underrating Vettel - he really is top
drawer. Whilst I think Hamilton still edges it as having the best raw
talent, I think Vettel balances that with temperament. Now that
Ferrari have sorted out their car problems - and I wonder how much of
that is actually due to Vettel - I think we could be in for a great
battle between the two of them over the next few seasons.
Sir Tim
2017-05-28 16:30:21 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Post by Bobster
[...]
Personally I've always thought the idea that Vettel is a mere
"Playstation driver" nonsense - he certainly *is* out of the top drawer.
But he has sometimes had poor seasons when, unlike Alonso, he seemed to
rather give up.

(Also I wish he'd drop the triumphalist whooping and finger pointing,
which I find juvenile and annoying.)

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
Bobster
2017-05-28 17:20:40 UTC
Agreed. He doesn't have that quality that Alonso has, that he'll drive the wheels off whatever he has.
Phil Carmody
2017-06-04 03:05:03 UTC
Here's how I think it went in - before the race and during
1) Vettel had had better long run pace in FP.
2) Raikkonen was leading the race and got priority
3) Vettel stayed out and had very good pace
4) Vettel got lucky when Sauber pulled in Ericsson just as Vettel was going to come up on his rear - this creates some open air for Vettel to run in
Remind me what engine supplier Sauber have?

It's not luck - that's prime quality engineering.

Phil
--
Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when the DSM has
a cozy little place next to the bible in the "Fiction" shelf
in the library.
Bobster
2017-06-04 03:18:58 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
Post by Bobster
Here's how I think it went in - before the race and during
1) Vettel had had better long run pace in FP.
2) Raikkonen was leading the race and got priority
3) Vettel stayed out and had very good pace
4) Vettel got lucky when Sauber pulled in Ericsson just as Vettel was going to come up on his rear - this creates some open air for Vettel to run in
Remind me what engine supplier Sauber have?
It's not luck - that's prime quality engineering.
And they've just signed a deal with Honda, so have no need to keep Ferrari sweet.

But let's examine this.

What would be investigated by FIA was any radio call - and they're all monitored - in which Sauber mentioned doing Ferrari a favour or anything else cryptic ("it is to help out our friends" etc).

And how would Sauber know which lap to pit on so as to assist Vettel?

Not impossible. But a lot of things have to be in place. Including Sauber, who are running last year's Ferrari PU and will be running Hondas next year, being willing to do Ferrari a favour.
~misfit~
2017-06-05 00:11:54 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:38:39 -0700 (PDT), Bobster
Post by Bobster
Here's how I think it went in - before the race and during
1) Vettel had had better long run pace in FP.
2) Raikkonen was leading the race and got priority
3) Vettel stayed out and had very good pace
4) Vettel got lucky when Sauber pulled in Ericsson just as Vettel
was going to come up on his rear - this creates some open air for
Vettel to run in
Remind me what engine supplier Sauber have?
It's not luck - that's prime quality engineering.
I was going to mention that last week but figured it would only feed
"Reasonable Bob's" claim that I'm a conspiracy nut. I guess it just did
anyway. ;)