The Tifosi
2018-09-02 15:52:16 UTC
It is often said that the Italians are passionate about motor racing. I
think that the behaviour of the Tifosi actually has more to do with
nationalism than a love of the sport. I well remember the occasion when
Prost crashed his Ferrari on the warming-up lap and hordes of Italians
started leaving the circuit *before the race had even started*, which
doesn’t suggest any great interest in the actual racing.

On the other hand the fanatical enthusiasm of the crowd always makes Monza
one of the best and most vibrant events of the F1 year and I suppose that
what Lewis Hamilton describes as “negativity” (i.e. booing) is just the
downside of this.

2018-09-02 22:04:07 UTC
On 3/09/2018 3:52 AM, Sir Tim wrote:
> It is often said that the Italians are passionate about motor racing. I
> think that the behaviour of the Tifosi actually has more to do with
> nationalism than a love of the sport. I well remember the occasion when
> Prost crashed his Ferrari on the warming-up lap and hordes of Italians
> started leaving the circuit *before the race had even started*, which
> doesn’t suggest any great interest in the actual racing.
>
> On the other hand the fanatical enthusiasm of the crowd always makes Monza
> one of the best and most vibrant events of the F1 year and I suppose that
> what Lewis Hamilton describes as “negativity” (i.e. booing) is just the
> downside of this.

I thought the Tifosi were all giving nazi stiff-arm salutes at one point
- but looking closer they were pretty much all holding up their
smartphones filming the Ferraris whizzing past !

Yes, I do realise Mussolini's fascist salute was slightly different.

2018-09-03 03:56:54 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet Sir Tim wrote:
> It is often said that the Italians are passionate about motor racing.
> I think that the behaviour of the Tifosi actually has more to do with
> nationalism than a love of the sport.

I agree. It seems to be an Italian trait.

> I well remember the occasion
> when Prost crashed his Ferrari on the warming-up lap and hordes of
> Italians started leaving the circuit *before the race had even
> started*, which doesn't suggest any great interest in the actual
> racing.

It was noted that as soon as Lewis passed Kimi quite a few of 'the tifosi'
started leaving.