Williams building robot
Brian W Lawrence
2018-08-07 09:45:06 UTC
This from local paper:

"AN Oxfordshire Formula One company is designing a robot to inspect
power lines.

Engineers at Williams in Grove are helping build the android inspector
for Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks, which manages lines
across Oxfordshire.

The companies say it will be the 'first live overhead line inspection
robot to be used on SSEN’s high voltage electricity networks'.

The robot, which will navigate its own route as it moves from overhead
line to overhead line, is being designed by Williams Advanced
Engineering - a system company to Williams F1 which adapts racing car
technology for commercial projects."

"Williams business development director Iain Wight said: "This is an
exciting project for Williams Advanced Engineering.

"The capabilities that we have are applicable across industry and our
team is delighted to be able to apply them to the energy sector with SSEN.

"As demand increases for more and more reliable power, not least to
power electric vehicles where we are helping lead the way to a more
sustainable future, it is essential that we take every step to secure
supply and costs."

The power company said the robots would enable its teams to carry out
the essential work safely whilst the power remains live, helping deliver
greater efficiencies and improved network reliability without the need
for network outages, while keeping personnel safe."

"Funded by Ofgem’s Network Innovation Allowance, the LISAS (Line
Inspection by Semi-Autonomous Systems) project will be the first time a
'highly-autonomous' robot will be used to inspect electricity networks
in the UK.

SSEN head of innovation Stewart Reid said: "The use of robotics to help
us inspect and maintain our network has the potential to provide
enormous benefits to our customers, from improvements in safety and
reliability to reduced costs."
M2T
Drone with a camera.
Dan the Man
Are they putting Pirellis on that thing?
bra
2018-08-09 15:16:55 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
"AN Oxfordshire Formula One company is designing a robot to inspect
power lines.
Better than this madness --- at 1 minute it gets sparky!