Lewis Hamilton doesn't like Monaco GP
2018-05-28 13:40:19 UTC
He couldn't pass, so that is apparently a sign of a very bad circuit and very bad race organization!

Lewis talks acts as though he's the first non-winner ever to discover how 'bad' Monaco is, as a result of coming in third.

I rate Lewis, but there's a stratum of Jacques Villeneuve coming to the surface.
Brian W Lawrence
2018-05-28 15:04:17 UTC
He couldn't pass, so that is apparently a sign of a very bad circuit and very bad race organization!
Lewis talks acts as though he's the first non-winner ever to discover how 'bad' Monaco is, as a result of coming in third.
I rate Lewis, but there's a stratum of Jacques Villeneuve coming to the surface.
In Wednesday's Press Conference he said, "But, yeah, Monaco, it’s such a
dream to drive here. Every single year… I’m very fortunate to live here,
but the wait you have from one year to the next… it’s a shame that we
only have one race here, because it’s that spectacular to drive. But
it’s very intense. You have to be more diligent then your perhaps have
to be anywhere else. It’s the most technical and mentally challenging
circuit of the whole season. There’s also the heightened aspect of just
wanting to shine at a track like this. Sometimes I’m running around or
driving around this city in the off-season and it’s hard to believe the
speeds that we do – up the hill and to Turn 1 and out of the tunnel…
Just yesterday I was running through the tunnel and telling my friend
who has never been before and saying ‘usually we’re doing 200mph out of
this tunnel’, and he was like ‘that’s crazy’. It's hard for people to
get even close to the imagination of what it’s like, but it’s really
something quite special."

<https://www.pitpass.com/src/seasons/2018/gp/monaco/fia/thursday.php>
Bigbird
What comments are you alluding to?
M2T
2018-05-28 17:06:58 UTC
He couldn't pass, so that is apparently a sign of a very bad circuit
and very bad race organization!
Lewis talks acts as though he's the first non-winner ever to discover
how 'bad' Monaco is, as a result of coming in third.
What comments are you alluding to?
Probably this
Post by Bigbird
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/16253295.Hamilton_brands_Monaco____boring____as_Ricciardo_holds_on_for_victory/
“Thank God that’s over,” Hamilton said on the team radio. “That was the most boring race I’ve ever participated in.”
He later added: “We were just cruising around from lap six, literally cruising, so it wasn’t really racing.
Daniel did a great job today, so I am super happy for him, but our engines were all turned down to make sure we got to the end.
“Monaco has got the biggest build-up and it is the most special race of the year, but this is now a race that’s gone for me.
“Formula One needs to apply a different schedule here. It should not be a one-stop race for example.
“From a racing driver’s point of view, we were never pushing. It was insane how little I was pushing. I was 10 seconds behind, but I was conflicted because in my heart I wanted to win this race, but the team just asked me to bring the car home.”
Bigbird
2018-05-28 17:59:30 UTC
[...]
Fair enough, I heard him say something like that but obviously
interpret it differently to Brafield.

(ps note to self, stop replying to self)
larkim
2018-05-28 17:59:34 UTC
He's got a point. Presumably it was the pit stop timings Vs the performance advantage of new tyres that screwed up the potential for anything other than a one stop, with the added penalty that track position is everything.

And if you're not racing on the ragged edge then it would feel boring to drive to third place like that.