ESPN
Add Reply
Heron
2018-04-08 16:28:56 UTC
Shockingly excellent coverage today from ESPN,
not a single race interrupting commercial so far.
Mark Jackson
2018-04-08 17:07:56 UTC
Post by Heron
Shockingly excellent coverage today from ESPN,
not a single race interrupting commercial so far.
No in-race commercials at all - just the occasional logo in the upper
right corner noting coverage brought to us by Mothers [car cosmetic care
products]! But is this model economically sustainable for ESPN?

I found the commentary excellent as well, also shocking given Australia.
I put the difference down to at least one of: Croft dialed it back
(we did get more Brundle), the race was intrinsically more interesting,
or I wasn't half asleep.
This quote is often falsely attributed to Mark Twain.
- Randall Munroe
D Munz
2018-04-08 18:25:51 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Heron
Shockingly excellent coverage today from ESPN,
not a single race interrupting commercial so far.
No in-race commercials at all - just the occasional logo in the upper
right corner noting coverage brought to us by Mothers [car cosmetic care
products]! But is this model economically sustainable for ESPN?
I found the commentary excellent as well, also shocking given Australia.
I put the difference down to at least one of: Croft dialed it back
(we did get more Brundle), the race was intrinsically more interesting,
or I wasn't half asleep.
This quote is often falsely attributed to Mark Twain.
- Randall Munroe
I was good to see ESPN (and Liberty?) course correct here. The issue with ESPN will be on the value of the time if they used it for other sports. As I understand it, Liberty are giving them the coverage at no cost. Whatever they get from Mothers and pre and post adds go directly into ESPN's pockets.

I expect they will keep this up until Liberty sorts to the OOT deal and then we will have to see.

2018-04-08 21:38:59 UTC
Everytime the action gets fast the main announcer becomes completely not understandable.
~misfit~
2018-04-09 04:41:58 UTC
Post by John
Everytime the action gets fast the main announcer becomes completely not understandable.
That's Croft - he's a motor-mouth twat and the weakest link in the Sky
coverage.

2018-04-09 14:06:02 UTC
Post by John
Everytime the action gets fast the main announcer becomes completely
not understandable.
That's Croft - he's a motor-mouth twat and the weakest link in the Sky
coverage.
I only have Ch4 coverage, but I know Croft from his days on the radio.

And that's where I suspect his issue is - he hasn't properly adapted from
having to describe everything for the listener to allowing the pictures to
tell the story.

Bobster
2018-04-09 05:55:16 UTC
Post by John
Everytime the action gets fast the main announcer becomes completely not understandable.
Shades of Murray Walker.

I am split by such issues. On the one hand I wish they'd take a deep breath, collect themselves and give the actual information. On the other, the breathlessness and trying to fit more words into the time available than it can hold invokes the excitement of sport.
Sir Tim
2018-04-09 09:01:57 UTC
Post by John
Everytime the action gets fast the main announcer becomes completely not understandable.
Shades of Murray Walker.
I am split by such issues. On the one hand I wish they'd take a deep
breath, collect themselves and give the actual information. On the other,
the breathlessness and trying to fit more words into the time available
than it can hold invokes the excitement of sport.
Interesting how opinions change. James Allen took a *lot* of stick when he
did the job yet now some folk would like to see him back. Murray was/is a
great character but I was never that impressed with him as a commentator,
much preferring Raymond Baxter. That is until I watched some old film and
was horrified by how stilted and “BBC” Baxter sounded to modern ears.

I’m quite happy with Crofty, although perhaps he should slow down a bit.
2018-04-09 11:50:48 UTC
Post by John
Everytime the action gets fast the main announcer becomes completely not understandable.
Shades of Murray Walker.
I am split by such issues. On the one hand I wish they'd take a deep breath, collect themselves and give the actual information. On the other, the breathlessness and trying to fit more words into the time available than it can hold invokes the excitement of sport.
The 'spectacle' is visual and obvious.

No need to foam at the mouth for ignorant imbeciles in the TV audience.
Bobster
2018-04-09 12:16:16 UTC
Post by John
Everytime the action gets fast the main announcer becomes completely not understandable.
Shades of Murray Walker.
I am split by such issues. On the one hand I wish they'd take a deep breath, collect themselves and give the actual information. On the other, the breathlessness and trying to fit more words into the time available than it can hold invokes the excitement of sport.
The 'spectacle' is visual and obvious.
No need to foam at the mouth for ignorant imbeciles in the TV audience.
Depends on whether you're trying to reach out to a few snotty anoraks who know it all already, or a greater audience that you'd like to hook and hold onto.

Croft's job isn't really to keep the denizens of RASF1 happy.
News
2018-04-09 12:21:45 UTC
Post by John
Everytime the action gets fast the main announcer becomes completely not understandable.
Shades of Murray Walker.
I am split by such issues. On the one hand I wish they'd take a deep breath, collect themselves and give the actual information. On the other, the breathlessness and trying to fit more words into the time available than it can hold invokes the excitement of sport.
The 'spectacle' is visual and obvious.
No need to foam at the mouth for ignorant imbeciles in the TV audience.
Depends on whether you're trying to reach out to a few snotty anoraks who know it all already, or a greater audience that you'd like to hook and hold onto.
Croft's job isn't really to keep the denizens of RASF1 happy.
Yet the rest have no idea what he's foaming about.