DRS and lines
2017-05-13 09:16:31 UTC
There was just a message from the Force India pits to Ocon to tell him that he hadn't got DRS because he hit the button too early.

I remember some discussion about this recently.

Ocon was protesting that the line is not clear. Pits told him to not hit the button until he gets a tone in his headset, and that if he hits the button too early then DRS will not activate even when he does cross the line.
Bigbird
2017-05-13 09:21:17 UTC
There was just a message from the Force India pits to Ocon to tell
him that he hadn't got DRS because he hit the button too early.
I remember some discussion about this recently.
Ocon was protesting that the line is not clear. Pits told him to not
hit the button until he gets a tone in his headset, and that if he
hits the button too early then DRS will not activate even when he
does cross the line.
Hamilton claimed that DRS did not engage during Q3 in Bahrain. Someone
suggested he was on the button too early.
Brian W Lawrence
2017-05-13 09:40:13 UTC
There was just a message from the Force India pits to Ocon to tell him that he hadn't got DRS because he hit the button too early.
I remember some discussion about this recently.
Ocon was protesting that the line is not clear. Pits told him to not hit the button until he gets a tone in
his headset, and that if he hits the button too early then DRS will not activate even when he does cross the line.
DRS activation line #2 has been moved overnight. They may not have
painted the line on the track yet.

---
http://www.avg.com
Bobster
2017-05-13 09:46:14 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by Bobster
There was just a message from the Force India pits to Ocon to tell him that he hadn't got DRS because he hit the button too early.
I remember some discussion about this recently.
Ocon was protesting that the line is not clear. Pits told him to not hit the button until he gets a tone in
his headset, and that if he hits the button too early then DRS will not activate even when he does cross the line.
DRS activation line #2 has been moved overnight. They may not have
painted the line on the track yet.
There is A line, and they won't have a lot of time to repaint before quallies.

But for me the key point of interest was that if you press the button too early you thereby lose DRS. Which IIRC was suggested as a cause of Hamilton's problems during Q3 at Bahrain.
Bigbird
2017-05-13 10:01:49 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by Bobster
There was just a message from the Force India pits to Ocon to
tell him that he hadn't got DRS because he hit the button too
early.
I remember some discussion about this recently.
Ocon was protesting that the line is not clear. Pits told him to
not hit the button until he gets a tone in his headset, and that
if he hits the button too early then DRS will not activate even
when he does cross the line.
DRS activation line #2 has been moved overnight. They may not have
painted the line on the track yet.
There is A line, and they won't have a lot of time to repaint before quallies.
But for me the key point of interest was that if you press the button
too early you thereby lose DRS. Which IIRC was suggested as a cause
of Hamilton's problems during Q3 at Bahrain.
Lol, I wonder what reminded you.

You are such a fake. Quite pathetic.
D Munz
2017-05-13 16:52:34 UTC
But for me the key point of interest was that if you press the button too early you thereby lose DRS. Which IIRC was suggested as a cause of Hamilton's problems during Q3 at Bahrain.
Granted I don't pay a lot of attention to the details of the rules, but I'm not sure I have ever heard about the "you loose the DRS" deal. And I know I've not heard that there is a tone for the driver to let them know.

All makes sense though. I could see drivers mashing the button and letting it kick in immediately when they cross the line.

Speaking of buttons... Every now and then someone mentions the overtake button. What is that this year? KERS/ERS boost? Is there a limit on use?

2017-05-14 01:17:11 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Bobster
But for me the key point of interest was that if you press the
button too early you thereby lose DRS. Which IIRC was suggested as a
cause of Hamilton's problems during Q3 at Bahrain.
Granted I don't pay a lot of attention to the details of the rules,
but I'm not sure I have ever heard about the "you loose the DRS"
deal. And I know I've not heard that there is a tone for the driver
to let them know.
All makes sense though. I could see drivers mashing the button and
letting it kick in immediately when they cross the line.
Speaking of buttons... Every now and then someone mentions the
overtake button. What is that this year? KERS/ERS boost? Is there
a limit on use?
Yes, combined with maximum fuel flow / maximum power engine map. The limit
is how much energy is in the energy storage system - and then your engineer
telling you you're marginal on fuel.