Lewis Hamilton G.O.A.T.
2017-06-12 22:13:24 UTC
Lewis Hamilton Will Be the Greatest F1 Driver of All Time
http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/4356/lewis-hamilton-will-be-the-greatest-f1-driver-of-all-time

Lewis Hamilton is destined to become the greatest Formula 1 driver of
all time. There, I said it. Of all time. Disagree? Go ahead, tell me
what an idiot I am. You can post your comments right at the bottom. But
before you do, read this story. Then weigh in.

Imagine all the greatest open wheel drivers ever, lined up on the same
grid. Who’d be there? Certainly Tazio Nuvolari, Michael Schumacher,
Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Jim Clark, Juan Manuel Fangio, and Alberto
Ascari. You could argue for Mario Andretti (I certainly would), Jackie
Stewart (probably), Stirling Moss (yes), Niki Lauda (yes), and Dan
Gurney (probably). Personally, I would put three drivers from our
current era on the grid: Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, and Lewis
Hamilton.

How do I figure that any one of these drivers is better than the other?
We can't line them up in spec cars and let them duke it out. Do we look
at their strengths and weaknesses? Take Alberto Ascari. As Enzo Ferrari
once said of him: “When Alberto was in the lead, he was so
stylish that no one could overtake him. But in close combat, he didn’t
have enough of the killer spirit.” And how about Stirling Moss. During
his time, Moss had the true mark of greatness in one regard: He could
win races in lesser cars. But Moss’s resume also has one major
shortcoming: He never had a peak in his career when his greatness was
matched by a truly great car for any length of time.

In the end, there's only one way to say one driver is better than
another over the course of a career, and that’s with numbers. In my
opinion, you cannot argue with the fact that, right now, Schumacher is
the greatest of all time, because he has won the most by far. Isn’t that
what makes one driver better than another? Winning? Schumacher has the
most championships (7), the most victories (91), and the most poles
(68). In every major category, by the numbers, over the course of a
career, he is unmatched. And here is where Lewis Hamilton comes in.

Hamilton was a smashing sensation from the moment the green flag waved
on his 2007 rookie year. He was on the podium in every one of his first
nine races. That’s insane! It’s also a record that still stands. Before
his F1 career was even eight races old, he was a back-to-back winner. He
is a terrific tactician; anyone who wants to argue that point should be
advised that Hamilton holds the track record at Monaco (according to
formula1.com), the hardest circuit of all.

In the end, however, if we are judging greatness through statistics, the
greatest move Hamilton ever made was not in a racing car. It was the
foresight (or luck?) to join the Mercedes team before the 2013 season.
So much of racing is about being in the right place at the right
time—just ask Sebastian Vettel, who landed in Adrian Newey's unbeatable
car during his four titles at Red Bull. Now Hamilton is in the fastest
car (along with his teammate Nico Rosberg—a great driver, but not that
great).

Schumacher retired twice. The first time, he announced his retirement
after the Italian Grand Prix in 2006. (I was at that race and at that
press conference, and it was quite a scene.) The second time he retired,
he was 43. Right now, Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year’s title,
which would be his fourth (and third in a row). Mercedes will continue
to be the fastest car for the foreseeable future—at least until the
formula changes. Imagine how many checkered flags Hamilton could collect
between now and when he reaches the age when Schumacher retired for
good? That’s as many as 240 more GPs, or more.

Hamilton needs 13 more poles to match Schumacher’s all time record of
68. He’ll snag that by the end of 2017. Hamilton needs five more
victories to pass Alain Prost into second on the all-time wins list;
he’ll likely do that this season. He needs 44 more wins to catch Schumi
in all-time victories. If Mercedes continues its domination, Hamilton
could reach that mark by the time he is 35 or 36 and still have plenty
more career left.

Statistically, over the course of his career, Hamilton has won roughly
27% of the races he has started, and that includes some years when he
was not in the fastest car. Using that number as a guide (27%), if he
were to compete in 240 more GPs, that’s 64.8 wins, which puts him far
ahead of Schumi.

Of course there is more to greatness than just numbers. In a the racing
world, which is above all a sentimental one, greatness implies
adoration. Ayrton Senna was great not just because he was so wondrously
talented, but because he was so loved. While no one has ever had a
better career than Schumacher, Schumi was never loved the way Senna was.
In fact, there are plenty out there who despised Schumi, because he was
capable of dirty tricks. As the motorsport scribe Xavier Chimits once
wrote, “In this media-saturated world, it’s not enough to win. You also
have to please. Michael Schumacher has failed on that score. It has been
his only defeat, but it is a crushing one.”

Hamilton is not loved by all fans. Frankly, I’d like to punch his dogs
Coco and WhateverHisNameIs in the snout, and I’m a dog lover. I don’t
find myself warm and fuzzy when I see Hamilton’s fashion spreads in
glossy mags, either. But Hamilton is maturing as a man. I love what he
said after winning the British Grand Prix this Sunday.

"I am so grateful," said Hamilton. “I am very honored. It is a very
humbling experience to be in this sport, particularly in a time of
difficulty in the world and see so much love in the world. On this day,
we come together and it is a beautiful thing.”

We need to see more of that Lewis Hamilton. He needs to watch a Muhammad
Ali documentary and take notes. I believe he will snap Schumi’s records,
and he will become, statistically, the GOAT. I hope that he wins the one
thing Schumi failed to, and that’s the hearts of all fans.
bra
2017-06-12 23:31:48 UTC
Post by .
Lewis Hamilton Will Be the Greatest F1 Driver of All Time
There, above:

Instead of blunting your key fingers with the 1,000 words that pointlessly followed --- (there IS, I am sure, a drain on the universe's stock of power by your verbosity ) ---- leave your damn 11-word opening sentence and go and clean the sink!
alister
2017-06-13 12:57:32 UTC
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:13:24 -0500, . wrote:

<snip>
Post by .
Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year’s title,
which would be his fourth (and third in a row).
I would happily bet that Ham does not win a 3rd consecutive championship
this year. ( I suspect Rosburg would have some of that as well :-) )

<snip>
--
"MIME, oh mime, how I hate thee. Let me stick pins in you to
count the ways..." -- Ben LaHaise
~misfit~
2017-06-13 13:33:42 UTC
Post by alister
<snip>
Post by .
Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year's title,
which would be his fourth (and third in a row).
I would happily bet that Ham does not win a 3rd consecutive
championship this year. ( I suspect Rosburg would have some of that
as well :-) )
<snip>
Who's "Rosburg"? ;-)

alister
2017-06-13 15:00:44 UTC
Post by alister
<snip>
Post by .
Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year's title,
which would be his fourth (and third in a row).
I would happily bet that Ham does not win a 3rd consecutive
championship this year. ( I suspect Rosburg would have some of that as
well :-) )
<snip>
Who's "Rosburg"? ;-)
Spelling error Rosberg, Ill still give you 1000 : 1 that ham does not get
a "third (championship) in a row" this year.
--
Norbert Weiner was the subject of many dotty professor stories. Weiner
was, in
fact, very absent minded. The following story is told about him: when
they
moved from Cambridge to Newton his wife, knowing that he would be
absolutely
useless on the move, packed him off to MIT while she directed the move.
Since
she was certain that he would forget that they had moved and where they
had
moved to, she wrote down the new address on a piece of paper, and gave it
him. Naturally, in the course of the day, an insight occurred to him. He
reached in his pocket, found a piece of paper on which he furiously
scribbled
some notes, thought it over, decided there was a fallacy in his idea, and
threw the piece of paper away. At the end of the day he went home (to the
old address in Cambridge, of course). When he got there he realized that
they
had moved, that he had no idea where they had moved to, and that the
piece of
paper with the address was long gone. Fortunately inspiration struck.
There
was a young girl on the street and he conceived the idea of asking her
where
he had moved to, saying, "Excuse me, perhaps you know me. I'm Norbert
Weiner
and we've just moved. Would you know where we've moved to?" To which the
young girl replied, "Yes, Daddy, Mommy thought you would forget."
The capper to the story is that I asked his daughter (the girl in
the
story) about the truth of the story, many years later. She said that it
wasn't
quite true -- that he never forgot who his children were! The rest of it,
however, was pretty close to what actually happened...
-- Richard Harter
alister
2017-06-13 15:22:02 UTC
Post by alister
Post by ~misfit~
Post by alister
<snip>
Post by .
Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year's title,
which would be his fourth (and third in a row).
I would happily bet that Ham does not win a 3rd consecutive
championship this year. ( I suspect Rosburg would have some of that as
well :-) )
<snip>
Who's "Rosburg"? ;-)
Spelling error Rosberg, Ill still give you 1000 : 1 that ham does not
get a "third (championship) in a row" this year.
& apologies for another excessive sig
--
If a team is in a positive frame of mind, it will have a good attitude.
If it has a good attitude, it will make a commitment to playing the
-- Sparky Anderson
~misfit~
2017-06-14 00:23:27 UTC
Post by alister
Post by ~misfit~
Post by alister
<snip>
Post by .
Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year's
title, which would be his fourth (and third in a row).
I would happily bet that Ham does not win a 3rd consecutive
championship this year. ( I suspect Rosburg would have some of that
as well :-) )
<snip>
Who's "Rosburg"? ;-)
Spelling error Rosberg, Ill still give you 1000 : 1 that ham does not
get a "third (championship) in a row" this year.
Why would you give *me* odds on that? I'm not the person to whom you made an
offer initially and am not (that) deluded.

2017-06-14 02:21:11 UTC
I'm not the person
You are not a person.
You are some sort of pathetic 'thing'.
alister
2017-06-14 11:56:18 UTC
Post by alister
Post by ~misfit~
Post by alister
<snip>
Post by .
Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year's title,
which would be his fourth (and third in a row).
I would happily bet that Ham does not win a 3rd consecutive
championship this year. ( I suspect Rosburg would have some of that
as well :-) )
<snip>
Who's "Rosburg"? ;-)
Spelling error Rosberg, Ill still give you 1000 : 1 that ham does not
get a "third (championship) in a row" this year.
Why would you give *me* odds on that? I'm not the person to whom you
made an offer initially and am not (that) deluded.
Sorry it was indeed meant for dot who seems to be on a bit of a love fest
with lewis & mario at present
--
Life is too short to be taken seriously.
-- Oscar Wilde
~misfit~
2017-06-14 12:16:36 UTC
Post by alister
Post by ~misfit~
Post by alister
Post by ~misfit~
Post by alister
<snip>
Post by .
Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year's
title, which would be his fourth (and third in a row).
I would happily bet that Ham does not win a 3rd consecutive
championship this year. ( I suspect Rosburg would have some of
that as well :-) )
<snip>
Who's "Rosburg"? ;-)
Spelling error Rosberg, Ill still give you 1000 : 1 that ham does
not get a "third (championship) in a row" this year.
Why would you give *me* odds on that? I'm not the person to whom you
made an offer initially and am not (that) deluded.
Sorry it was indeed meant for dot who seems to be on a bit of a love
fest with lewis & mario at present
OK. ('Though how you could confuse me with him [?]....) ;)

alister
2017-06-14 12:28:35 UTC
Post by alister
Post by ~misfit~
Post by alister
Post by ~misfit~
Post by alister
<snip>
Post by .
Hamilton is 31 years old. If I were a betting man,
I would put my house on the fact that he will win this year's
title, which would be his fourth (and third in a row).
I would happily bet that Ham does not win a 3rd consecutive
championship this year. ( I suspect Rosburg would have some of that
as well :-) )
<snip>
Who's "Rosburg"? ;-)
Spelling error Rosberg, Ill still give you 1000 : 1 that ham does not
get a "third (championship) in a row" this year.
Why would you give *me* odds on that? I'm not the person to whom you
made an offer initially and am not (that) deluded.
Sorry it was indeed meant for dot who seems to be on a bit of a love
fest with lewis & mario at present
OK. ('Though how you could confuse me with him [?]....) ;)
by simply reading the response & not looking at who had made it (&
because I was expecting some kind of reaction from dot)
--
All good ideas look like bad ideas to those who are losers.
-- Dilbert
n***@nowhere.com
Looks to me like dot's the puppeteer, not you.
Bobster
It's an old article, and a crap one. Apparently you can tell that Hamilton is a master tactician because he holds the lap record at Monaco.
Ar
2017-07-05 13:55:43 UTC
Lewis Hamilton Will Be the Greatest F1 WHINER All Time
Fixed that for you.
.
2017-07-05 14:58:30 UTC
Post by Ar
Lewis Hamilton Will Be the Greatest F1 WHINER All Time
Fixed that for you.
It took him *more* than 3 weeks to come up with that pathetically
feeble attempt at what he no doubt considers to be a witticism.
--
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.