Paul Ricard
2018-06-11 15:50:02 UTC
So we head to the land of the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" next time
out, on a circuit not raced on by F1 for a good long while.

What's the track going to throw up in terms of who it favours?

I always used to enjoy the French GP at Magny Cours, though I know the teams
hated the soulless environment.

Paul Ricard doesn't exactly evoke character as a track, but at least it is
an unknown from a race weekend perspective to just about all of the teams.
M2T
2018-06-11 16:26:15 UTC
So we head to the land of the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" next time
out, on a circuit not raced on by F1 for a good long while.
What's the track going to throw up in terms of who it favours?
I always used to enjoy the French GP at Magny Cours, though I know the teams
hated the soulless environment.
Paul Ricard doesn't exactly evoke character as a track, but at least it is
an unknown from a race weekend perspective to just about all of the teams.
The world's largest run off areas, sponsored by SpecSavers and owned by
a Dwarf.
2018-06-12 04:16:40 UTC
So we head to the land of the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" next
time out, on a circuit not raced on by F1 for a good long while.
What's the track going to throw up in terms of who it favours?
I always used to enjoy the French GP at Magny Cours, though I know
the teams hated the soulless environment.
Paul Ricard doesn't exactly evoke character as a track, but at least
it is an unknown from a race weekend perspective to just about all of
the teams.
When you have a significant number of drivers from a certain country it's
not a bad idea to hold a GP in that country. In fact I believe that there
are more Frenchmen currently driving in F1 than any other nationality. I'm
quite looking forward to the relatively unknown (to me at least) track.

2018-06-12 07:07:18 UTC
So we head to the land of the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" next time
out, on a circuit not raced on by F1 for a good long while.
Not sure I appreciate your xenophobic comment - no doubt you are a
Brexiteer (but let’s not go *there*). Not only are there currently several
French drivers in F1 but France was the birthplace of Grand Prix racing, as
the name suggests. For many years the idea that there would not be a French
GP was inconceivable.
Post by larkim
What's the track going to throw up in terms of who it favours?
I always used to enjoy the French GP at Magny Cours, though I know the teams
hated the soulless environment.
Paul Ricard doesn't exactly evoke character as a track, but at least it is
an unknown from a race weekend perspective to just about all of the teams.
The memories of Le Castellet that immediately come to my mind are not happy
ones, viz:
Elio de Angelis was killed there whilst testing for Brabham and it was from
there that Graham Hill set out on his last, fatal flight. It is very flat
and very fast, or used to be - I think t has been heavily modified.
2018-06-12 09:02:31 UTC
So we head to the land of the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" next time
out, on a circuit not raced on by F1 for a good long while.
Not sure I appreciate your xenophobic comment - no doubt you are a
Brexiteer (but let’s not go *there*). Not only are there currently several
French drivers in F1 but France was the birthplace of Grand Prix racing, as
the name suggests. For many years the idea that there would not be a French
GP was inconceivable.
LOL, it's just a Simpsons quote that amuses me - I'm actually quite a
Francophile (hence the quotation marks).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese-eating_surrender_monkeys

I couldn't be further from being a Brexiteer

Agree that France not having a GP recently has been a huge omission in the
context of France's involvement.
Sir Tim
2018-06-12 12:36:22 UTC
So we head to the land of the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" next time
out, on a circuit not raced on by F1 for a good long while.
Not sure I appreciate your xenophobic comment - no doubt you are a
Brexiteer (but let’s not go *there*). Not only are there currently several
French drivers in F1 but France was the birthplace of Grand Prix racing, as
the name suggests. For many years the idea that there would not be a French
GP was inconceivable.
LOL, it's just a Simpsons quote that amuses me - I'm actually quite a
Francophile (hence the quotation marks).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese-eating_surrender_monkeys
I couldn't be further from being a Brexiteer
Agree that France not having a GP recently has been a huge omission in the
context of France's involvement.
Okay, sense of humour failure at this end - I didn’t realize it was a
Simpsons quote.
Lack of knowledge of the Simpsons is probably something to be applauded tbh!
Sir Tim
2018-06-12 15:14:24 UTC
[...]
:-)
I’ve enjoyed both The Simpsons and Family Guy - in limited quantities. Both
series seem to have gone on for ever. As a matter of interest the most
quoted film/tv series amongst my family and friends is *still* The Life of
Brian.
Michael Gooding
2018-06-12 14:20:22 UTC
Brexiteer = xenophobe? Jesus wept.
larkim
2018-06-12 14:36:02 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
Brexiteer = xenophobe? Jesus wept.
Think he got that bit right TBH. But that sort of debate is probably for
a different newsgroup!

In the Venn diagrams of issues and personality traits, even if not every
Brexiteer is a xenophone, I think nearly every xenophobe would be inside the
Brexiteer circle, and most Brexiteers would also be in the xenophone circle.
Heron
2018-06-12 15:09:14 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
Brexiteer = xenophobe? Jesus wept.
Think he got that bit right TBH. But that sort of debate is probably for
a different newsgroup!
In the Venn diagrams of issues and personality traits, even if not every
Brexiteer is a xenophone, I think nearly every xenophobe would be inside the
Brexiteer circle, and most Brexiteers would also be in the xenophone circle.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are
stupid people, it is true that most stupid people
are conservative. - John Stuart Mill