No Further Punsihment
2017-07-03 18:32:43 UTC
Sebastian Vettel to face no further punishment after Azerbaijan GP collision

Sebastian Vettel will face no further action after his collision with
Lewis Hamilton at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, met Vettel and Ferrari team
principal Maurizio Arrivabene in Paris on Monday.

The 29-year-old four-time world champion admitted full responsibility
for the incident, which happened during the race in Baku on 25 June.

Vettel "has extended his sincere apologies to the FIA and the wider
motorsport family", the FIA said.

Championship leader Vettel accused Hamilton of 'brake-testing' -
deliberately slowing in front of him - as they prepared for a restart
behind a safety car.

Vettel then pulled alongside Hamilton and drove his car into the
Mercedes so they banged wheels.

The German, 29, was given a 10 second stop-and-go penalty during the
race after being found guilty of dangerous driving.

Hamilton, who was cleared of any wrongdoing, said Vettel's driving was
"disgusting" and "not sportsman's conduct".

Vettel finished a place ahead of Briton Hamilton in fourth, extending
his championship lead to 14 points.

'The matter should be closed'

The FIA held a meeting on Monday to "further examine the causes of the
incident to evaluate whether further action is necessary".

It said in a statement: "Following detailed discussion and further
examination of video and data evidence related to the incident,
Sebastian Vettel admitted full responsibility.

"Sebastian Vettel extended his sincere apologies to the FIA and the
wider motorsport family. He additionally committed to devote personal
time over the next 12 months to educational activities across a variety
of FIA championships and events.

"The FIA notes this commitment, the personal apology made by Sebastian
Vettel and his pledge to make that apology public.

"In light of these developments, FIA President Jean Todt decided that on
this occasion the matter should be closed."
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.
Sir Tim
2017-07-03 22:22:23 UTC
Post by .
[...]
This seems to be the only sensible outcome, although I still think that
Vettel has been bloody lucky to get off so lightly.
2017-07-03 22:49:50 UTC
This seems to be the only sensible outcome, although I still think
that Vettel has been bloody lucky to get off so lightly.
Anything that affected the championship would have been detrimental. I
think having him be seen to grovel and do community service is as good
a message as they can hope to send.
t***@gmail.com
2017-07-04 01:55:45 UTC
Sitting on the fence again. Typical Brit.
D Munz
2017-07-04 02:21:10 UTC
This seems to be the only sensible outcome, although I still think that
Vettel has been bloody lucky to get off so lightly.
I have to agree. Although it was interesting to learn (for me at least) that a 10-second stop and go is the most serious on-track penalty they can give aside form a black flag. Having read it and thought about it, it makes sense. I've just never seen the hierarchy of penalties.

I also do wonder if this is only a big deal because Hamilton had the issue with his headrest. If that had not happened and he had won the race we would probably be arguing about the 10 second penalty being too harsh...

2017-07-04 06:18:11 UTC
I was thinking that too, but FIA are big on safety and responsible driving right now, so may still have been alarmed at a 4 time WDC taking a swipe at another car.
Bobster
2017-07-04 06:48:31 UTC
The 10 second stop-go is about a 30 second penalty at most tracks. It really hurts your race.
~misfit~
2017-07-04 12:50:15 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Sir Tim
This seems to be the only sensible outcome, although I still think
that Vettel has been bloody lucky to get off so lightly.
I have to agree. Although it was interesting to learn (for me at
least) that a 10-second stop and go is the most serious on-track
penalty they can give aside form a black flag. Having read it and
thought about it, it makes sense. I've just never seen the hierarchy
of penalties.
I also do wonder if this is only a big deal because Hamilton had the
issue with his headrest. If that had not happened and he had won the
race we would probably be arguing about the 10 second penalty being
too harsh...
Ifs and buts, ifs and buts....

However I wouldn't have been saying it was too harsh even if it'd dropped
Vettel from the points. There's no room in F1 for drivers who don't respect
the right of other drivers to be on the track - especially (but not limited
to) when the other party isn't in the wrong.

2017-07-04 07:34:59 UTC
Post by .
Sebastian Vettel to face no further punishment after Azerbaijan GP collision
The headline was wrong - there was 'further punishment' ( on top of the
stop-go); all the feel-good tasks he is now obliged to do.

2017-07-04 08:06:50 UTC
Post by .
Sebastian Vettel to face no further punishment after Azerbaijan GP collision
The headline was wrong - there was 'further punishment' ( on top of
the stop-go); all the feel-good tasks he is now obliged to do.
Community service; a privilge not a punishment.

;)
~misfit~
2017-07-04 12:51:47 UTC
Post by .
Sebastian Vettel to face no further punishment after Azerbaijan GP collision
The headline was wrong - there was 'further punishment' ( on top of
the stop-go); all the feel-good tasks he is now obliged to do.
As well as the 'not appearing in road safety campaigns' for 6 months (or
whatever the wording was).