"Honda risking their reputation"
2017-05-13 01:15:02 UTC
Says Alonso. "Risking" ?!!!!

2017-05-13 03:13:24 UTC
Says Alonso. "Risking" ?!!!!
geoff
Depends on how much of a sales tool you think high profile motorsport is. Subaru's bottom of grid adventures (admittedly with less brouhaha than the McLaren tie up) didn't seem to do them much harm. Porsche had an embarrassing early 90s return and also seemed to get out with reputation largely unscathed. Peugeot were winners at Le Mans but a flop in F1, but did the brand suffer?

I sometimes question the tie between the two. It's thought that success in F1 drives things in the real world, but sometimes I wonder. There are companies that left F1 or were never there that have produced very good, high tech road cars.
Willsy
2017-05-13 07:51:08 UTC
Says Alonso. "Risking" ?!!!!
geoff
Depends on how much of a sales tool you think high profile motorsport is. Subaru's bottom of grid adventures (admittedly with less brouhaha than the McLaren tie up) didn't seem to do them much harm. Porsche had an embarrassing early 90s return and also seemed to get out with reputation largely unscathed. Peugeot were winners at Le Mans but a flop in F1, but did the brand suffer?
I sometimes question the tie between the two. It's thought that success in F1 drives things in the real world, but sometimes I wonder. There are companies that left F1 or were never there that have produced very good, high tech road cars.
It's not the Honda engine per-se that is a massive problem. It's the fact
that it's in a Maclaren, and Maclaren is synonymous with success among the
top teams of F1.

If that Honda were in a Haas there would be no fuss made at all, and there
would be talk of Honda's reputation whatsoever.

Maclaren need to dump Honda.

I find it odd that Ron Dennis was made to fall on his sword, ostensibly
because of the shocking performance of the car with a Honda PU, yet
they continue with Honda. If I were Ron Dennis, I'd want my bloody job
back!

"Hey, you fired me because of the poor performance of the Honda engine,
but you're still using it. See you in court, bitches."
Bobster
2017-05-13 09:00:55 UTC
Post by Willsy
It's not the Honda engine per-se that is a massive problem. It's the fact
that it's in a Maclaren, and Maclaren is synonymous with success among the
top teams of F1.
If that Honda were in a Haas there would be no fuss made at all, and there
would be talk of Honda's reputation whatsoever.
it is true that this is a high profile partnership with a lot of noise made when it was launched. Most of that noise was about the earlier McLaren/Honda partnership.
Post by Willsy
Maclaren need to dump Honda.
I find it odd that Ron Dennis was made to fall on his sword, ostensibly
because of the shocking performance of the car with a Honda PU, yet
they continue with Honda. If I were Ron Dennis, I'd want my bloody job
back!
Dennis was forced out of his executive position because of a falling out between shareholders. There were several reports that he was trying to regain full control and had a period of time granted by the other partners to find the funding to buy them out. He tried to do that, he couldn't do it, this left him in a dodgy position. His contract as CEO would have expired in any event early this year, but the other shareholders were able to force him into taking leave until his contract expired, and so he stepped down.

He still owns 25% and still sits on the board.
He's already been to court over his sidelining. He got no relief there.
p***@lycos.com
2017-05-13 12:07:41 UTC
Depends on how much of a sales tool you think high profile motorsport is. Subaru's bottom of grid adventures (admittedly with less brouhaha than the McLaren tie up) didn't seem to do them much harm. Porsche had an embarrassing early 90s return and also seemed to get out with reputation largely unscathed. Peugeot were winners at Le Mans but a flop in F1, but did the brand suffer?
Hankook tyres sponsors Real Madrid. Perhaps scared of how their rubber
would fare on a racing car....
Edmund
2017-05-14 07:51:57 UTC
Says Alonso. "Risking" ?!!!!