Vettel:" I want to apologise to Lewis"
2017-07-03 18:57:54 UTC
Apologetic Sebastian Vettel accepts he 'overreacted' in Baku clash

Championship leader Sebastian Vettel has apologised for his actions at
the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, accepting he "overreacted" in his incident
with Lewis Hamilton.

Vettel struck the rear of Hamilton’s Mercedes as the field prepared for
a restart, and drew alongside his rival, gesticulated, before making
side-on-side contact, having erroneously believe he had been brake
tested by the Briton.

Stewards handed Vettel a 10-second stop-and-go penalty before the FIA
opted to "further examine" the incident.

Vettel met with FIA representatives on Monday and apologised for his
conduct, with the championship’s governing body opting to take no
further action, though the German was warned against future transgressions.

Vettel issued a *full apology* on his official website in the wake of
his meeting with the FIA, extending his regret to title rival Hamilton.

"Concerning the incidents of Baku I’d like to explain myself," he wrote
in a post addressed to 'motor-racing fans'.

"During the restart lap, I got surprised by Lewis and ran into the back
of his car. With hindsight, I don't believe he had any bad intentions.

"In the heat of the action I then overreacted, and therefore I want to
apologise to Lewis directly, as well as to all the people who were
watching the race. I realise that I was not setting a good example.

"I had no intention at anytime to put Lewis in danger, but I understand
that I caused a dangerous situation.

"Therefore, I would like to apologise to the FIA. I accept and respect
the decisions that were taken at today’s meeting in Paris, as well as
the penalty imposed by the Stewards in Baku.

"I love this sport and I am determined to represent it in a way that can
be an example for future generations."

Vettel's Ferrari team, which was present at the meeting through boss
Maurizio Arrivabene, commented: "Scuderia Ferrari notes the driver’s
apologies and his personal commitments to help the image of the sport.

"Scuderia Ferrari confirms its support to FIA’s initiatives, sharing the
governing’s body values and objectives."
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.
Martin Harran
2017-07-03 19:39:43 UTC
Post by .
[...]
No harm to Vettel - and I have been a fan of his for a long time - but
those seem a prime example of "weasel words" :(
~misfit~
2017-07-04 02:23:57 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Post by .
[...]
Weasel words indeed. Since when was anything including the words "I got
surprised by Lewis" an apology taking full blame for the incident? He's
essentially still saying he was "brake-tested" but in more limp-wristed
langauge.

If anything, after reading that he's gone down even further in my
estimation - just after he was starting to go up this season (pre-Baku).

2017-07-04 05:19:28 UTC
Weasel words indeed.
Oh my. Coming from #1 weasel.
On sheep shagging ranch.
Stephen Thomas Cole
2017-07-04 07:31:23 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Post by .
[...]
I dunno, I read "surprised by Lewis" as "I misjudged the situation/wasn't
paying attention and didn't notice in time that he had lifted". It looks
like a mea culpa to my eyes.
--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur
geoff
2017-07-04 07:36:46 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
I dunno, I read "surprised by Lewis" as "I misjudged the situation/wasn't
paying attention and didn't notice in time that he had lifted". It looks
like a mea culpa to my eyes.
Never actually retracted the brake-testing allegation.

2017-07-04 09:29:21 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
I dunno, I read "surprised by Lewis" as "I misjudged the situation/wasn't
paying attention and didn't notice in time that he had lifted". It looks
like a mea culpa to my eyes.
Never actually retracted the brake-testing allegation.
I think you have to allow the guy a modicum of self respect, no need to
make him grovel. It's a handsome apology, although no doubt forced upon
him.
2017-07-04 12:45:40 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
I dunno, I read "surprised by Lewis" as "I misjudged the
situation/wasn't paying attention and didn't notice in time that he
had lifted". It looks like a mea culpa to my eyes.
Never actually retracted the brake-testing allegation.
I think you have to allow the guy a modicum of self respect, no need
to make him grovel. It's a handsome apology, although no doubt forced
upon him.
He deserves little self-respect after the way he acted, during the race and
afterwards. It's a well-crafted apology and if he didn't want to apologise
he could have sat out a race (which is what he avoided with it).

Sorry but handsome it's not - though that attribute is in the eye of the
beholder apparently. ;)

2017-07-04 13:57:08 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
I dunno, I read "surprised by Lewis" as "I misjudged the situation/wasn't
paying attention and didn't notice in time that he had lifted". It looks
like a mea culpa to my eyes.
Never actually retracted the brake-testing allegation.
I think you have to allow the guy a modicum of self respect, no need to
make him grovel. It's a handsome apology, although no doubt forced upon
him.
Do you think it satisfies any of the posters on here who still think Lewis
was at fault here?
News
An apology that HAM will likely refuse to acknowledge.
Heron McKeister
2017-07-04 14:23:49 UTC
In article <ojg6to$m8p$***@dont-email.me>, ***@Group.Post
says...
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
like a mea culpa to my eyes.
Never actually retracted the brake-testing
allegation.
I think you have to allow the guy a modicum of self
respect, no need to
make him grovel. It's a handsome apology, although no
doubt forced upon
him.
An apology that HAM will likely refuse to acknowledge.
given its false and clearly coerced nature he would be
fully justified in not doing so.
Lurking on Usenet since '88.
News
No matter, HAM pre-announced.
Mark Jackson
2017-07-04 20:09:38 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
I dunno, I read "surprised by Lewis" as "I misjudged the
situation/wasn't paying attention and didn't notice in time that
he had lifted". It looks like a mea culpa to my eyes.
Never actually retracted the brake-testing allegation.
I think you have to allow the guy a modicum of self respect, no need
to make him grovel. It's a handsome apology, although no doubt forced
upon him.
I would characterize it as "handsomely crafted." I find the beauty of
the final product more questionable.
I believe I am right. And, if not right, plausible.
- Ignatius Donnelly
~misfit~
2017-07-04 12:41:54 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Martin Harran
Post by .
[...]
If he'd said "I *was* surprised by Lewis" then I'd agree with you. However
he said "I *got* surprised by Lewis". The former is a mea culpa, the latter
is a veiled accusation.

And before anyone chimes in with 'English is his second langauge' yeah I
know it is. However he's very well-spoken and also the above reads like a
pre-prepared statement so more than likely says exactly what he wanted to
say.

Phil Carmody
2017-07-04 17:53:56 UTC
"~misfit~" <***@gmail.com> writes:
[SNIP - anyone remember snipping?]
Post by ~misfit~
If he'd said "I *was* surprised by Lewis" then I'd agree with you. However
he said "I *got* surprised by Lewis". The former is a mea culpa, the latter
is a veiled accusation.
And before anyone chimes in with 'English is his second langauge' yeah I
know it is. However he's very well-spoken and also the above reads like a
pre-prepared statement
so more than likely says exactly what he wanted to say.
Nothing with "got" in it reads like it's been crafted by anyone who
has mastered the nuances of the language. That's the 7-year-old's
auxiliary, which, because it has not been stomped on whenever it's not
the pretirite of get, persists in supposedly adult usage.

I don't think there's enough precision to really conclude he's
deliberately distinguishing between "I was suprised by Lewis" (thus I
was insufficiently aware) and "Lewis surprised me" (thus Lewis was
insufficiently predictable).

Phil
--
In order for there to be rights, there must be wrongs - if you want to
get rid of wrongs, which great leaders do, you *must* get rid of rights.
geoff

2017-07-04 19:56:31 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
I dunno, I read "surprised by Lewis" as "I misjudged the
situation/wasn't paying attention and didn't notice in time that he
had lifted". It looks like a mea culpa to my eyes.
If he'd said "I *was* surprised by Lewis" then I'd agree with you. However
he said "I *got* surprised by Lewis". The former is a mea culpa, the latter
is a veiled accusation.
And before anyone chimes in with 'English is his second langauge' yeah I
know it is. However he's very well-spoken and also the above reads like a
pre-prepared statement so more than likely says exactly what he wanted to
say.
Read it all. It's a bit clumsy at times. EG "I had no intention at anytime to put Lewis in danger."

The statement is good for somebody whose first language is not English, but it is a statement from somebody whose first language is not English.

Plus there is the matter of your antipathy towards Vettel.
Heiner Hass
2017-07-04 22:59:38 UTC
And before anyone chimes in with 'English is his second langauge' yeah I
know it is. However he's very well-spoken and also the above reads like a
pre-prepared statement so more than likely says exactly what he wanted to
say.
you still can find the following text on his website:

First of all, I think that today the car was very good. The pace was
strong in the race. I think you could see that we were losing a bit here
and there, but overall it was a good race. It was a very busy start, and
Vallteri was very aggressive. As for what happened at the restart from
the safety car, I don’t know why I got the penalty and Lewis didn’t.
It’s disappointing, because it could have been a better result. I don’t
have a problem with Lewis but I just think that what he did on the track
was not ok. By now the decision is done but, in an episode like this
one, I still think that if you give out a penalty, then it should be to
both drivers.

that doesn't really sound like an apology.

HH
~misfit~
2017-07-04 23:28:51 UTC
Post by Heiner Hass
Post by ~misfit~
[...]
Not at all. I think he was only apologising at the hearing and for the
hearing.