Where did leclerc disappear to on the timing?
larkim
2018-04-29 14:22:54 UTC
It looked like he'd dropped out then ended up 6th. Bit odd.

Entertaining race in the end!
Mark Jackson
2018-04-29 14:51:43 UTC
Post by larkim
It looked like he'd dropped out then ended up 6th. Bit odd.
There were intermittent problems with the timing tower throughout the
race, primarily (if not exclusively) with the Saubers. He was still in
position (and the Sky commentators were remarking on his drive) while
the tower dropped him to last.
This quote is often falsely attributed to Mark Twain.
- Randall Munroe
b***@cam.ac.uk
2018-04-29 17:45:35 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by larkim
It looked like he'd dropped out then ended up 6th. Bit odd.
There were intermittent problems with the timing tower throughout the
race, primarily (if not exclusively) with the Saubers.  He was still in
position (and the Sky commentators were remarking on his drive) while
the tower dropped him to last.
Anyone know what happened to Gasly? Meteoric rise through the ranks as
noted by KC after the start but then at one point he dropped down all
the way to the back without any explanation that I saw in the coverage
or from the commentators.
Geoff May
2018-04-29 17:57:28 UTC
Post by b***@cam.ac.uk
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by larkim
It looked like he'd dropped out then ended up 6th. Bit odd.
There were intermittent problems with the timing tower throughout the
race, primarily (if not exclusively) with the Saubers.  He was still
in position (and the Sky commentators were remarking on his drive)
while the tower dropped him to last.
Anyone know what happened to Gasly? Meteoric rise through the ranks as
noted by KC after the start but then at one point he dropped down all
the way to the back without any explanation that I saw in the coverage
or from the commentators.
I believe he and Magnussen collided and Gasly suffered damage to his car.

Cheers

Geoff
Mark Jackson
2018-04-29 22:21:43 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by b***@cam.ac.uk
Anyone know what happened to Gasly? Meteoric rise through the ranks
as noted by KC after the start but then at one point he dropped
down all the way to the back without any explanation that I saw in
the coverage or from the commentators.
I believe he and Magnussen collided and Gasly suffered damage to his car.
According to http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/135685 :

Also receiving a penalty was Haas driver Kevin Magnussen, who was found
the guilty party in a clash with the Toro Rosso of Pierre Gasly.

The pair were fighting for the final points-scoring position after the
late-race safety car restart, but ended up dropping down the order.

Gasly completed the grand prix in 12th, whereas Magnussen rounded out
the finishers in 13th place.

"The driver of car 20 [Magnussen] moved unpredictably and unnecessarily
to the left and collided with car 10 [Gasly], which was maintaining its
direction," the stewards' explanation read.

The Dane was handed a 10-second penalty, which had no impact on his race
result, but also received two penalty points on his license, adding up
to a total of eight for the 12-month period - with 12 points needed to
trigger a race ban.
This quote is often falsely attributed to Mark Twain.
- Randall Munroe
~misfit~
2018-04-30 04:01:51 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Geoff May
Post by b***@cam.ac.uk
[...]
Isn't that where the debris that ended Bottas' race came from?
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
Sir Tim
2018-04-30 11:07:20 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by b***@cam.ac.uk
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by larkim
It looked like he'd dropped out then ended up 6th. Bit odd.
There were intermittent problems with the timing tower throughout the
race, primarily (if not exclusively) with the Saubers.  He was still
in position (and the Sky commentators were remarking on his drive)
while the tower dropped him to last.
Anyone know what happened to Gasly? Meteoric rise through the ranks as
noted by KC after the start but then at one point he dropped down all
the way to the back without any explanation that I saw in the coverage
or from the commentators.
I believe he and Magnussen collided and Gasly suffered damage to his car.
And Magnussen was penalized. Max is taking all the flack at the moment but
“K-Mag” seems to create his fair share of mayhem too
Sir Tim
~misfit~
2018-04-30 12:44:46 UTC
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Geoff May
Post by b***@cam.ac.uk
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by larkim
It looked like he'd dropped out then ended up 6th. Bit odd.
There were intermittent problems with the timing tower throughout
the race, primarily (if not exclusively) with the Saubers. He was
still in position (and the Sky commentators were remarking on his
drive) while the tower dropped him to last.
Anyone know what happened to Gasly? Meteoric rise through the ranks
as noted by KC after the start but then at one point he dropped
down all the way to the back without any explanation that I saw in
the coverage or from the commentators.
I believe he and Magnussen collided and Gasly suffered damage to his car.
And Magnussen was penalized. Max is taking all the flack at the
moment but "K-Mag" seems to create his fair share of mayhem too
K-Mag always has but he usually does it at the back of the field where the
cameras aren't watching.

Brian W Lawrence
2018-04-30 07:14:15 UTC
Post by b***@cam.ac.uk
Anyone know what happened to Gasly? Meteoric rise through the ranks as
noted by KC after the start but then at one point he dropped down all
the way to the back without any explanation that I saw in the coverage
or from the commentators.
He was up to 7th on lap 6 after starting 17th, a gain of 10 places.
After that he started losing places, dropping to 8th on L7, 10th on
L8, 12th on 9, 13th on 10, and then pitted on L12, rejoining in
17th/last place.

Pierre Gasly: "I had a really good start to the race, from 17th I
managed to get into the top 10 after the first lap, but after that it
was really tough to hold my position! I couldn't do much to keep the
cars behind on the straights and I was overtaken by quite a few. It was
so difficult! After the final restart, I had an incident with Magnussen
where he put me in the wall, breaking half of my floor, my mirror, and
bending my steering. It was quite a frustrating race because with all of
the retirements and without the collision I could have been in the points."