'Grid kids' to replace 'grid girls' from start of the season
Ar
2018-02-05 15:52:42 UTC
What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
abuse flying around without involving children?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040
News
2018-02-05 16:19:10 UTC
On 2/5/2018 10:52 AM, Ar wrote:

> What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
> adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
> abuse flying around without involving children?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040

' would be for the children chosen "an unforgettable experience..." ',
hopefully in no way similar to that of the U.S. women's gymnastics team
Willsy
2018-02-05 16:50:19 UTC
On Monday, 5 February 2018 16:19:11 UTC, News wrote:
> On 2/5/2018 10:52 AM, Ar wrote:
>
> > What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
> > adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
> > abuse flying around without involving children?
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040
>

> ' would be for the children chosen "an unforgettable experience..." ',
> hopefully in no way similar to that of the U.S. women's gymnastics team

As long as there are no Hollywood actors or producers around then the kids
should be safe.
larkim
2018-02-05 16:59:03 UTC
On Monday, 5 February 2018 15:52:44 UTC, Ar wrote:
> What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
> adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
> abuse flying around without involving children?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040

I'm not sure this is a bad idea. Works for football with child mascots
accompanying players onto the pitch, and those kids are often either
academy kids from the junior ranks of the team or local kids winning
competitions to walk out with their "heros".

Honestly if 20 of the best karting boys and girls in the UK are involved
in some way with the pageantry of the British GP, would that really be a
bad thing and be setting a poor example, when compared to the current
practice of having scantily clad women doing the same?
DumbedDownUSA
2018-02-05 17:09:29 UTC
larkim wrote:

> On Monday, 5 February 2018 15:52:44 UTC, Ar wrote:
> > What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
> > adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
> > abuse flying around without involving children?
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040
>
> I'm not sure this is a bad idea. Works for football with child
> mascots accompanying players onto the pitch, and those kids are often
> either academy kids from the junior ranks of the team or local kids
> winning competitions to walk out with their "heros".

Sure but they are accompanied and don't actually have to stand around
holding a placard for 45 mins or however long it is.

> Honestly if 20 of the best karting boys and girls in the UK are
> involved in some way with the pageantry of the British GP, would that
> really be a bad thing and be setting a poor example, when compared to
> the current practice of having scantily clad women doing the same?

Are grid girls usually scantily clad in recent seasons?

I guess it's a money saver for the sponsor.
larkim
2018-02-05 22:25:38 UTC
You really think they'd be as simplistic as replacing the grid girls like for like with kids?

Google the 2017 COTA grid girls. Just above NSFW.
~misfit~
2018-02-06 01:56:59 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet larkim wrote:
> You really think they'd be as simplistic as replacing the grid girls
> like for like with kids?
>
> Google the 2017 COTA grid girls. Just above NSFW.

https://youtu.be/0yjfTVJ-OfE

To be fair though 2017 COTA also had some duffer doing boxing-style
introductions. It was Americana, not classic F1.

Do you like how Hamilton's grid girl was black? Racist much? (They wouldn't
want him oggling one of their white girls....)

DumbedDownUSA
2018-02-06 07:12:36 UTC
larkim wrote:

> You really think they'd be as simplistic as replacing the grid girls
> like for like with kids?

No, hence my response to the topic. I don't think kids can replace
"grid girls". I think it is probably an unrelated topic.

I have now perused the article and see that I am right. It is bad
journalism and editing.

> Google the 2017 COTA grid girls. Just above NSFW.

How would a single event be an answer to "Are grid girls usually
scantily clad in recent seasons?"

If you want to cherry pick, try Malaysia or Abu Dhabi, Russia or
Bahrain... but I have noticed it is not just coutries with more modest
reputations that it is true for.

The point is that Grid Girls do not have to be, and often aren't,
scantily clad. That is not why they are being replaced, else a dress
code could solve that problem without anyone even noticing.

What they actually have in common is being models or airline workers.

Also, are they banning scantily clad models from the paddock, the
event?

I see why you didn't answer in line.

--
Trump: If there is a shutdown I think it would be a tremendously
negative mark on the president of the United States. He’s the one that
has to get people together.
larkim
2018-02-06 12:58:47 UTC
On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 07:12:37 UTC, DumbedDownUSA wrote:
> larkim wrote:
>
> > You really think they'd be as simplistic as replacing the grid girls
> > like for like with kids?
>
> No, hence my response to the topic. I don't think kids can replace
> "grid girls". I think it is probably an unrelated topic.
>
> I have now perused the article and see that I am right. It is bad
> journalism and editing.
>

> > Google the 2017 COTA grid girls. Just above NSFW.
>
> How would a single event be an answer to "Are grid girls usually
> scantily clad in recent seasons?"
>
> If you want to cherry pick, try Malaysia or Abu Dhabi, Russia or
> Bahrain... but I have noticed it is not just coutries with more modest
> reputations that it is true for.
>
> The point is that Grid Girls do not have to be, and often aren't,
> scantily clad. That is not why they are being replaced, else a dress
> code could solve that problem without anyone even noticing.
>
> What they actually have in common is being models or airline workers.
>
> Also, are they banning scantily clad models from the paddock, the
> event?
>
> I see why you didn't answer in line.

I didn't answer in line because I was using the crap interface on my
phone.

Liberty own the presentation. They take a view that having, as part of
the pomp and ceremony prior to the race that they want to do away with an
approach which (whether or not I or many others like what's "on display")
they feel is more appropriate in 2018.

Across the different countries, various uniforms for the women acting as
grid girls have been on display. Plenty resembling airline cabin crew
uniform, and thus broadly "discrete" and certainly inoffensive, and also
plenty where there was something of a leer factor encouraged.

The common factor though was that women were there purely and simply because
their bodies, faces, figures, legs fitted an objectified standard of what
a model woman should look like. She is also doing a role which is broadly
passive, demonstrating no intellectual insight and with no apparent direct
connection to motorsport.

Getting rid of that to me seems 100% sensible.

As to what should replace them - I could live with 50/50 male female model
splits with only discrete and inoffensive clothing being worn. I know that
sexual attraction is a human nature trait, so can't ignore the fact that it
pleases my aesthetic to see attractive women, and plenty more spectators and
TV viewers would take the same pleasure in some attractive men on display.

But they don't need to have anyone replace them if they don't want to.

And instead they are saying to up and coming drivers "come along and we'll
find a way of including you in the parade stuff".

How on earth could anyone argue against that? It might create jobs overall
if you're concerned about the grid girls adding to unemployment statistics
(a laughable concept anyway) if we need paid, non-glamourous, adults to
facilitate the engagement of children on the grid etc, however trivial that
employment perspective might be!
DumbedDownUSA
2018-02-06 16:53:49 UTC
larkim wrote:

> On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 07:12:37 UTC, DumbedDownUSA wrote:
> > larkim wrote:
> >
> > > You really think they'd be as simplistic as replacing the grid
> > > girls like for like with kids?
> >
> > No, hence my response to the topic. I don't think kids can replace
> > "grid girls". I think it is probably an unrelated topic.
> >
> > I have now perused the article and see that I am right. It is bad
> > journalism and editing.
> >

> > > Google the 2017 COTA grid girls. Just above NSFW.
> >
> > How would a single event be an answer to "Are grid girls usually
> > scantily clad in recent seasons?"
> >
> > If you want to cherry pick, try Malaysia or Abu Dhabi, Russia or
> > Bahrain... but I have noticed it is not just coutries with more
> > modest reputations that it is true for.
> >
> > The point is that Grid Girls do not have to be, and often aren't,
> > scantily clad. That is not why they are being replaced, else a dress
> > code could solve that problem without anyone even noticing.
> >
> > What they actually have in common is being models or airline
> > workers.
> >
> > Also, are they banning scantily clad models from the paddock, the
> > event?
> >
> > I see why you didn't answer in line.
> >
> I didn't answer in line because I was using the crap interface on my
> phone.
>
> Liberty own the presentation. They take a view that having, as part
> of the pomp and ceremony prior to the race that they want to do away
> with an approach which (whether or not I or many others like what's
> "on display") they feel is more appropriate in 2018.
>
> Across the different countries, various uniforms for the women acting
> as grid girls have been on display. Plenty resembling airline cabin
> crew uniform, and thus broadly "discrete" and certainly inoffensive,
> and also plenty where there was something of a leer factor
> encouraged.
>
> The common factor though was that women were there purely and simply
> because their bodies, faces, figures, legs fitted an objectified
> standard of what a model woman should look like. She is also doing a
> role which is broadly passive, demonstrating no intellectual insight
> and with no apparent direct connection to motorsport.
>
> Getting rid of that to me seems 100% sensible.
>
> As to what should replace them - I could live with 50/50 male female
> model splits with only discrete and inoffensive clothing being worn.
> I know that sexual attraction is a human nature trait, so can't
> ignore the fact that it pleases my aesthetic to see attractive women,
> and plenty more spectators and TV viewers would take the same
> pleasure in some attractive men on display.

You make a fair comment until you completely undermine it with that
last paragraph.

> But they don't need to have anyone replace them if they don't want to.

Well it would be good to have something to mark the grid places.

> And instead they are saying to up and coming drivers "come along and
> we'll find a way of including you in the parade stuff".

That's fine but a totally separate story.

> How on earth could anyone argue against that? It might create jobs
> overall if you're concerned about the grid girls adding to
> unemployment statistics (a laughable concept anyway) if we need paid,
> non-glamourous, adults to facilitate the engagement of children on
> the grid etc, however trivial that employment perspective might be!

No, don't get me wrong. I am quite ambivalent about the grid girls. I
rarely notice them. I just feel some of the comments made are
ridiculous and the idea that kids should replace them is included.

has to get people together.
DumbedDownUSA
2018-02-06 16:57:41 UTC
DumbedDownUSA wrote:

> [...]
> > pleasure in some attractive men on display.
> >

> You make a fair comment until you completely undermine it with that
> last paragraph.
>
> > But they don't need to have anyone replace them if they don't want
> > to.
>
> Well it would be good to have something to mark the grid places.
>

> > And instead they are saying to up and coming drivers "come along and
> > we'll find a way of including you in the parade stuff".
> >

> That's fine but a totally separate story.
>
> > How on earth could anyone argue against that? It might create jobs
> > overall if you're concerned about the grid girls adding to
> > unemployment statistics (a laughable concept anyway) if we need
> > paid, non-glamourous, adults to facilitate the engagement of
> > children on the grid etc, however trivial that employment
> > perspective might be!
>
> No, don't get me wrong. I am quite ambivalent

Probably the wrong word; change to "indifferent".

has to get people together.
News
2018-02-06 17:23:10 UTC
On 2/6/2018 11:53 AM, DumbedDownUSA wrote:
> larkim wrote:

>>> No, hence my response to the topic. I don't think kids can replace
>>> "grid girls". I think it is probably an unrelated topic.
>>>
>>> I have now perused the article and see that I am right. It is bad
>>> journalism and editing.

>>> How would a single event be an answer to "Are grid girls usually
>>> scantily clad in recent seasons?"
>>>
>>> If you want to cherry pick, try Malaysia or Abu Dhabi, Russia or
>>> Bahrain... but I have noticed it is not just coutries with more
>>> modest reputations that it is true for.
>>>
>>> The point is that Grid Girls do not have to be, and often aren't,
>>> scantily clad. That is not why they are being replaced, else a dress
>>> code could solve that problem without anyone even noticing.
>>>
>>> What they actually have in common is being models or airline
>>> workers.
>>>
>>> Also, are they banning scantily clad models from the paddock, the
>>> event?
>>>
>>> I see why you didn't answer in line.
>>>
>> I didn't answer in line because I was using the crap interface on my
>> phone.
>>
>> Liberty own the presentation. They take a view that having, as part
>> of the pomp and ceremony prior to the race that they want to do away
>> with an approach which (whether or not I or many others like what's
>> "on display") they feel is more appropriate in 2018.
>>
>> Across the different countries, various uniforms for the women acting
>> as grid girls have been on display. Plenty resembling airline cabin
>> crew uniform, and thus broadly "discrete" and certainly inoffensive,
>> and also plenty where there was something of a leer factor
>> encouraged.
>>
>> The common factor though was that women were there purely and simply
>> because their bodies, faces, figures, legs fitted an objectified
>> standard of what a model woman should look like. She is also doing a
>> role which is broadly passive, demonstrating no intellectual insight
>> and with no apparent direct connection to motorsport.
>>
>> Getting rid of that to me seems 100% sensible.
>>
>> As to what should replace them - I could live with 50/50 male female
>> model splits with only discrete and inoffensive clothing being worn.
>> I know that sexual attraction is a human nature trait, so can't
>> ignore the fact that it pleases my aesthetic to see attractive women,
>> and plenty more spectators and TV viewers would take the same
>> pleasure in some attractive men on display.
>>

> You make a fair comment until you completely undermine it with that
> last paragraph.
>
>> But they don't need to have anyone replace them if they don't want to.
>
> Well it would be good to have something to mark the grid places.

With a nod to Formula E, Knightscope robots holding umbrellas.

https://seattleducation2010.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/knightscope-security-robot.jpg
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 17:32:26 UTC
On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 19:23:11 UTC+2, News wrote:

> With a nod to Formula E, Knightscope robots holding umbrellas.
>
> https://seattleducation2010.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/knightscope-security-robot.jpg

Why does anybody think it is necessary to mark the grid positions? The tech staff will position it, jack it up and do whatever it is that they do for at least half an hour before the drivers get walked over by a staff member.

And do we think that in this day and age, if you told a team that their slots were 11 and 16, they would have a major problem setting up in the right place, especially given that there are marshals on the grid as well?

It seems to me that there is little practical justification for having the grid girls.
News
2018-02-06 19:05:44 UTC
On 2/6/2018 12:32 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 19:23:11 UTC+2, News wrote:
>
>> With a nod to Formula E, Knightscope robots holding umbrellas.
>>
>> https://seattleducation2010.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/knightscope-security-robot.jpg
>
> Why does anybody think it is necessary to mark the grid positions? The tech staff will position it, jack it up and do whatever it is that they do for at least half an hour before the drivers get walked over by a staff member.
>
> And do we think that in this day and age, if you told a team that their slots were 11 and 16, they would have a major problem setting up in the right place, especially given that there are marshals on the grid as well?
>
> It seems to me that there is little practical justification for having the grid girls.

Markers are necessary because without them, the average fan could not
identify drivers or even in some cases, cars. Yes, that's how clueless.
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 20:03:56 UTC

you fucking idiot
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 20:08:11 UTC

What does this "average fan" see? They're not walking around on the grid. Whether they watch on TV or from the grandstands, the grid is going to be pretty crowded and those signs won't be easily read from a seat in the grandstands.
News
2018-02-06 21:23:43 UTC
On 2/6/2018 3:08 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 21:05:45 UTC+2, News wrote:

>>> Why does anybody think it is necessary to mark the grid positions? The tech staff will position it, jack it up and do whatever it is that they do for at least half an hour before the drivers get walked over by a staff member.
>>>
>>> And do we think that in this day and age, if you told a team that their slots were 11 and 16, they would have a major problem setting up in the right place, especially given that there are marshals on the grid as well?
>>>
>>> It seems to me that there is little practical justification for having the grid girls.
>>>

>> Markers are necessary because without them, the average fan could not
>> identify drivers or even in some cases, cars. Yes, that's how clueless.
>
> What does this "average fan" see? They're not walking around on the grid. Whether they watch on TV or from the grandstands, the grid is going to be pretty crowded and those signs won't be easily read from a seat in the grandstands.

Guess you haven't had the experience of grandstand sitting, not to
mention the large screen video around the track. It's all on display.
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 21:37:25 UTC

For an above average fool like you.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-07 03:08:46 UTC

No, but what are you saying here? That the signs *are* readable from the grandstands, with the grid as crowded as it does get?
News
2018-02-07 12:28:27 UTC

Both directly and via the large screen video feeds.
bra
2018-02-06 21:28:39 UTC
On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 12:08:12 PM UTC-8, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> > Markers are necessary because without them, the average fan could not
> > identify drivers or even in some cases, cars. Yes, that's how clueless.
>
> What does this "average fan" see? They're not walking around on the grid. Whether they watch on TV or from the grandstands, the grid is going to be pretty crowded and those signs won't be easily read from a seat in the grandstands.

Ah, the brief happy era when each car was painted in one colour, and bore a large printed number.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/65/b3/b2/65b3b2100413a30a57072c233a3c4a95--gunnar-clay-regazzoni.jpg
DumbedDownUSA
2018-02-09 19:10:23 UTC
DumbedDownUSA wrote:

> No, don't get me wrong. I am quite indefferent about the grid girls. I
> rarely notice them. I just feel some of the comments made are
> ridiculous and the idea that kids should replace them is included.

While still indifferent it did make me wonder today, while listening to
one of the grid girls give their point of view, how many of the very
opiniated posters here have listened to the grid girls point of view
before deciding whether they should have a job or not.

has to get people together.
geoff
2018-02-09 21:34:17 UTC
On 10/02/2018 8:10 AM, DumbedDownUSA wrote:
> DumbedDownUSA wrote:
>
>> No, don't get me wrong. I am quite indefferent about the grid girls. I
>> rarely notice them. I just feel some of the comments made are
>> ridiculous and the idea that kids should replace them is included.
>
> While still indifferent it did make me wonder today, while listening to
> one of the grid girls give their point of view, how many of the very
> opiniated posters here have listened to the grid girls point of view
> before deciding whether they should have a job or not.

Like heroin addicts should be consulted on whether or not heroin is a
Good Thing or not. Sort of.

2018-02-09 22:49:22 UTC

Typical fence sitting NZ homosexual.
DumbedDownUSA
2018-02-10 11:53:42 UTC
geoff wrote:

> On 10/02/2018 8:10 AM, DumbedDownUSA wrote:
> > DumbedDownUSA wrote:
> >
> > > No, don't get me wrong. I am quite indefferent about the grid
> > > girls. I rarely notice them. I just feel some of the comments
> > > made are ridiculous and the idea that kids should replace them is
> > > included.
> >
> > While still indifferent it did make me wonder today, while
> > listening to one of the grid girls give their point of view, how
> > many of the very opiniated posters here have listened to the grid
> > girls point of view before deciding whether they should have a job
> > or not.
> >

> Like heroin addicts should be consulted on whether or not heroin is a
> Good Thing or not. Sort of.

I think that is too ridiculous, undefined and unanalogous to bother
following up...

...but I think for your benefit I need to reiterate you could put
listening before or above forming an opinion.
geoff
2018-02-11 00:07:56 UTC
On 11/02/2018 12:53 AM, DumbedDownUSA wrote:
> geoff wrote:

>>> While still indifferent it did make me wonder today, while
>>> listening to one of the grid girls give their point of view, how
>>> many of the very opiniated posters here have listened to the grid
>>> girls point of view before deciding whether they should have a job
>>> or not.
>>>

>> Like heroin addicts should be consulted on whether or not heroin is a
>> Good Thing or not. Sort of.
>>

> I think that is too ridiculous, undefined and unanalogous to bother
> following up...
>
> ...but I think for your benefit I need to reiterate you could put
> listening before or above forming an opinion.

¿ Que ?

2018-02-05 18:35:25 UTC
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 8:59:04 AM UTC-8, larkim wrote:

> I'm not sure this is a bad idea. Works for football with child mascots
> accompanying players onto the pitch, and those kids are often either
> academy kids from the junior ranks of the team or local kids winning
> competitions to walk out with their "heros".

Agree --- unforgettable for the kids and VERY encouraging for parents and the crowd in general.
Psst: They shouldn't don't have to be ALL top child athletes n the discipline. Why not half being drawn in a lottery. Sheer luck is also a massive motivator for children.

Bye-bye 'girls'.

Here, to hammer home the widespread distaste for the pin-up phenomenon: two photos of a [female] Spanish motorcycle rider who races Yamaha 600s.

Her name is Nuria Llabres, and she is accompanied and supported in the pits by her mother and father and younger sibling:

http://www.oldstox.com/images/nuria%201.jpg

When she grids for the race, this is what she and her watching family is subjected to; enough to discourage anyone ---

http://www.oldstox.com/images/nuria%202.jpg
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 00:04:05 UTC

fag
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 07:35:31 UTC
On Monday, 5 February 2018 20:35:27 UTC+2, bra wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 8:59:04 AM UTC-8, larkim wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure this is a bad idea. Works for football with child mascots
> > accompanying players onto the pitch, and those kids are often either
> > academy kids from the junior ranks of the team or local kids winning
> > competitions to walk out with their "heros".
> >

> Agree --- unforgettable for the kids and VERY encouraging for parents and the crowd in general.
> Psst: They shouldn't don't have to be ALL top child athletes n the discipline. Why not half being drawn in a lottery. Sheer luck is also a massive motivator for children.

FIA have said that the host ASN will select the kids, either by merit (which I presume to be on the basis of points in a competition) or by lottery.

I suspect that what will happen is that FIA and FOM will just get it from all sides. Whatever they do, somebody is going to be complaining about it.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-05 17:27:29 UTC
On Monday, 5 February 2018 17:52:44 UTC+2, Ar wrote:
> What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
> adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
> abuse flying around without involving children?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040

I wonder exactly what is going to happen here. I doubt they'll stand for half an hour or more in whatever weather arrives.

I'm thinking that the 10 minutes by which they shift the start time will get taken up with the national anthem, drivers standing in a row with the nippers in front of them.

Other sports do similar. Soccer usually has kids go out with the teams for the coin toss. Rugby matches here in SA also have kids going out for the pre-match formalities.

It's good. Helps to motivate the young drivers.
geoff
2018-02-05 23:59:39 UTC
On 6/02/2018 4:52 AM, Ar wrote:
> What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
> adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
> abuse flying around without involving children?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040

As long as they aren't dressed in a sexually provocative manner I have
no problem.

Either way should suit Texarse, especially the little boys.

2018-02-06 02:01:12 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet Ar wrote:
> What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
> adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
> abuse flying around without involving children?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040

I'm surprised. They say they're going to use "budding racing drivers" not
wheel-chair bound and/or 'special needs' children. If you're going to
exploit children you might as well go the whole hog.

Seriously though did anyone *not* expect F1 to be gutted after a media
company bought it?

Dave Garrett
2018-02-06 03:08:55 UTC
In article <p5b29a$rnq$***@dont-email.me>, ***@gmail.com
says...

https://memegenerator.net/instance/81253809

Dave
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 05:44:48 UTC
On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 04:01:16 UTC+2, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Once upon a time on usenet Ar wrote:
> > What idiot in Liberty and the FIA thought it was a good idea to axe
> > adult "Grid Girls" for children. Aren't there enough accusations of
> > abuse flying around without involving children?
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040
>
> I'm surprised. They say they're going to use "budding racing drivers" not
> wheel-chair bound and/or 'special needs' children. If you're going to
> exploit children you might as well go the whole hog.

What, exactly, is exploitative about this?

And they haven't actually ruled out the likes of, for example, Billy Monger who both races and is wheelchair bound.

> Seriously though did anyone *not* expect F1 to be gutted after a media
> company bought it?

This is an over reaction and, I find, quite typical at this moment with F1 fans, or those who get online and join discussion forums, mostly acting like the world is ending.

F1 is not being gutted. They've got rid of grid girls, and as they did so, they indicated that they would be using the immediate pre-race period differently, and now they announce a program by which the local FIA affiliate will get to put some young drivers on the grid with their heroes.

That's in no way a *gutting*.

A change, yes, but F1 is still recognisably about drivers in very sophisticated, very fast cars.