Jenks on engine sounds
2017-11-25 11:08:26 UTC
Trawling through some old GP reports in Motorsport I came across this
from DSJ (Denis Jenkinson):

"The Matra was superb, the shrill scream from its two long tail-pipes
must have made the entrance money worthwhile for a lot of spectators, as
it swept round the circuit on its own. It was followed by Beltoise in
the second Matra, and it made you realise how dull motor racing would be
without any exhaust noise. After these four V12-engined cars Stewart's
Cosworth V8-powered March sounded flat and dull by comparison, when it
followed them and the following line of V8-engined cars was broken by
the two flat-12 Ferraris with their own special sound. With everyone
except de Adamich on the "dummy-grid" and so many people that you could
not see the cars, a fine fanfare of trumpets heralded the start of the
80-lap British Grand Prix, with the first five cars on the grid holding
lap times under the existing lap record."

I'm not one of those who rubbish the sound of the current PUs - I rather
like it - but it would be nice to have a bit more *variety* between
engine notes.

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
Bruce Hoult
It's maybe not so obvious on TV, but when I've been at the races in Sochi in the last couple of years, I've been able to recognise the team cars by their sounds, especially off-throttle and mid-corner.
m***@gmail.com
I can believe that. Even on TV you can hear the Honda - a quite different noise from the other motors.
bra
I have not forgiven the V-10 Arrows that removed a chunk of hearing from my left lug, as it ran the Silverstone pit straight. I was immediately aware of 'something', and that was many years ago. It must have been the pitch as much as the dB, because 40 years of close-up drag racing has done no noticeable damage.
t***@gmail.com
2017-11-26 01:48:56 UTC
I'm not one of those
Fuck you, ass fucker.
t***@gmail.com
2017-11-26 02:18:48 UTC
On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 4:08:33 AM UTC-7, Sir Tim wrote:

Jenks? You raging fucking homosexual.