Johnny Herbert
2017-10-06 17:09:16 UTC
When I saw Sir Tim's quote from JH, "incandescent with rage", I thought there's a bloke who knows language.

I found this 2008 Motor Sport conversation with Johnny, which is terrific. His courage after his horrific smash was a mirror image of AJ Foyt after his similar crash. The sheer grit they both called upon in rehab: mind-boggling.

Foyt was nearly 50 years old with both legs smashed, and his efforts in a rehab gym had professional NFL trainers bringing in their injured quarterbacks (average age 24 years) to see Foyt work.

Herbert, an electrician's lad from Essex --- "top bloke" as they say down there.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/november-2008/78/lunch-johnny-herbert
.
2017-10-06 17:24:55 UTC
When I saw Sir Tim's quote from JH, "incandescent with rage", I thought there's a bloke who knows language.
I found this 2008 Motor Sport conversation with Johnny, which is terrific. His courage after his horrific smash was a mirror image of AJ Foyt after his similar crash. The sheer grit they both called upon in rehab: mind-boggling.
Foyt was nearly 50 years old with both legs smashed, and his efforts in a rehab gym had professional NFL trainers bringing in their injured quarterbacks (average age 24 years) to see Foyt work.
Herbert, an electrician's lad from Essex --- "top bloke" as they say down there.
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/november-2008/78/lunch-johnny-herbert
Mean, nasty, stupid Foyt, during that time, was
never anything other than an also ran in CART.
He crashed and blamed it on his brakes, despite
no problem being found. Posts on Mario Andretti,
Driver of the Century, and multiple CART and F1
champion, would be infinitely more appropriate,
particularly on an F1 group and a series which
he both denigrated and was afraid to participate.
bra
2017-10-06 18:33:40 UTC
Post by .
Post by bra
Foyt was nearly 50 years old with both legs smashed, and his efforts in a rehab gym had professional NFL trainers bringing in their injured quarterbacks (average age 24 years) to see Foyt work.
Mean, nasty, stupid Foyt, during that time, was
never anything other than an also ran in CART.
He crashed and blamed it on his brakes, despite
no problem being found. Posts on Mario Andretti,
Driver of the Century, and multiple CART and F1
champion, would be infinitely more appropriate,
Mean nasty people win in CART, Indy and F1. As a rule, "stupid" people do not win. But Foyt won Indianapolis four times, and got two second places and three third places. He won Le Mans, Daytona 500, and Daytona 24 hours.

Foyt had and has a bullying monster ego. You don't have to like him. F1 has some egos just as big: the list is long!

I posted about F1 driver Johnny Herbert, here in rasf1. As part of the post I cited Foyt's courage as comparable. He was 55 years old when he crashed at Elkhart, but eight months later he qualified on the front row at Indy. And came back again to race there in 1992 at 57 years of age.
Sir Tim
2017-10-06 22:03:38 UTC
I posted about F1 driver Johnny Herbert, here in rasf1. As part of the
post I cited Foyt's courage as comparable. He was 55 years old when he
crashed at Elkhart, but eight months later he qualified on the front row
at Indy. And came back again to race there in 1992 at 57 years of age.
Racers have extraordinary powers of recuperation. Herbert, Nannini, Zanardi
and Kubica all returned to racing after suffering appalling injuries. Barry
Sheene had to be lifted onto his bike but still managed to win the Dutch TT
seven weeks after his spectacular crash at Daytona and, more recently,
Valentino Rossi came fifth at Aragon only three weeks after breaking his
tibia and fibula.

But, for me, the most awesome feat was Niki Lauda’s fourth place at Monza
just six weeks after being given the last rites!
2017-10-06 22:52:57 UTC
bra <> > I posted about F1 driver Johnny Herbert, here in rasf1. As part of the
Post by bra
post I cited Foyt's courage as comparable. He was 55 years old when he
crashed at Elkhart, but eight months later he qualified on the front row
at Indy. And came back again to race there in 1992 at 57 years of age.
Racers have extraordinary powers of recuperation. Herbert, Nannini, Zanardi
and Kubica all returned to racing after suffering appalling injuries. Barry
Sheene had to be lifted onto his bike but still managed to win the Dutch TT
seven weeks after his spectacular crash at Daytona and, more recently,
Valentino Rossi came fifth at Aragon only three weeks after breaking his
tibia and fibula.
But, for me, the most awesome feat was Niki Lauda’s fourth place at Monza
just six weeks after being given the last rites!
Yes. Stirling Moss wrote in his autobiog about one of his crashes, and being frustrated in hospital (where he impatiently designed an improved bed urinal for men). He talked to the chap in the same room, who had been recuperating there contentedly for some time, while Moss was itching to get out; Moss eventually said "I can tell you're not self-employed."