Bottas stays
2017-09-13 12:57:45 UTC
On another one-year contract:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
2017-09-13 13:15:51 UTC
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
Fair enough too!

Dan the Man
2017-09-13 16:08:35 UTC
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
I wouldn't have blamed Merc if they had extended his stay for two more years, but yeah, he at least deserves this much.
Sir Tim
2017-09-13 18:42:56 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Sir Tim
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
I wouldn't have blamed Merc if they had extended his stay for two more
years, but yeah, he at least deserves this much.
Both Ricciardo and Verstappen become available in 2018 don't they?
2017-09-13 19:04:22 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Sir Tim
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
I wouldn't have blamed Merc if they had extended his stay for two
more years, but yeah, he at least deserves this much.
Both Ricciardo and Verstappen become available in 2018 don't they?
According to what I've read Verstappen is contracted through 2019, with
however a get-out clause if Red Bull's performance doesn't meet some
threshold in 2018.

And Hamilton is only contracted through 2018. Should he be lured away
(to, say, Ferrari) I suspect Mercedes would like to have maximum
flexibility in pursuing drivers for 2019.
It is never a good idea to elect people who promise as many
as six impossible things before breakfast. - Simon Johnson
Sir Tim
2017-09-13 20:44:37 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Sir Tim
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
I wouldn't have blamed Merc if they had extended his stay for two
more years, but yeah, he at least deserves this much.
Both Ricciardo and Verstappen become available in 2018 don't they?
According to what I've read Verstappen is contracted through 2019, with
however a get-out clause if Red Bull's performance doesn't meet some
threshold in 2018.
And Hamilton is only contracted through 2018. Should he be lured away
(to, say, Ferrari) I suspect Mercedes would like to have maximum
flexibility in pursuing drivers for 2019.
I agree, although I can't see Hamilton being lured away. Ferrari are the
only team likely to interest him and he probably wouldn't be too keen on
joining as team mate to Vettel, who is already well settled at Ferrari, is
contracted to the end of 2020 and would by then have done four years with
the team.

On the other hand it is always possible that Lewis might be attracted by
the challenge of trying to beat his great rival in matched cars. And of
course every driver wants to drive for Ferrari some time in his career.
2017-09-14 12:02:27 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Sir Tim
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
I wouldn't have blamed Merc if they had extended his stay for two more
years, but yeah, he at least deserves this much.
Both Ricciardo and Verstappen become available in 2018 don't they?
Max and Ham in one team, I like to see that but I wouldn't bet my life
Toto want to see that too. OK he will but definitely not in his own team.
Then there is Ham himself, he doesn't want Aflonzie in -his- team, he
doesn't want Vettel- he said he thinks Vettel doesn't want to be his team-mate.
Translation " I don't want him to become my team mate".
So I doubt he is keen to have Max as his team mate.
Would be fun though.

2017-09-14 17:23:59 UTC
Post by Edmund
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Sir Tim
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
I wouldn't have blamed Merc if they had extended his stay for two more
years, but yeah, he at least deserves this much.
Both Ricciardo and Verstappen become available in 2018 don't they?
Max and Ham in one team, I like to see that but I wouldn't bet my life
Toto want to see that too. OK he will but definitely not in his own team.
Then there is Ham himself, he doesn't want Aflonzie in -his- team, he
doesn't want Vettel- he said he thinks Vettel doesn't want to be his team-mate.
Translation " I don't want him to become my team mate".
Babelfish.com can translate from English into Edmundese - it automatically
converts any comment regarding Lewis Hamilton into the negative.
Geoff
2017-09-14 01:09:17 UTC
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-for-2018-season/
Good to see Bottas appreciated.

geoff
Hornplayer9599
2017-09-14 01:48:49 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Sir Tim
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358261/mercedes-confirms-bottas-f
or-2018-season/
Good to see Bottas appreciated.
geoff
Agreed, although I would have liked to see him get at least a 2 year
deal.
--
I don’t judge people based on color, race, religion, sexuality,
gender, ability, or size.