Thanks but no thanks, Stoffel
2018-09-03 17:37:08 UTC
http://www.grandprix.com/news/mclaren-confirms-vandoorne-out-for-2019.html

Looks like Vandoorne is to be replaced, but by whom? Norris or Ocon
maybe? Could be something of a poisoned chalice though.

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
bra
2018-09-03 18:40:20 UTC
On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 10:37:13 AM UTC-7, Sir Tim wrote:

Could be something of a poisoned chalice though.

> --
> Sir Tim

Ah. My grim favourite of 'poisoned chalices'is:

Gethsemane 1914-1918 [By Rudyard Kipling]

The Garden called Gethsemane
In Picardy it was,
And there the people came to see
The English soldiers pass.
We used to pass — we used to pass
Or halt, as it might be,
And ship our masks in case of gas
Beyond Gethsemane.

The Garden called Gethsemane,
It held a pretty lass,
But all the time she talked to me
I prayed my cup might pass.
The officer sat on the chair,
The men lay on the grass,
And all the time we halted there
I prayed my cup might pass.

It didn’t pass — it didn’t pass-
It didn’t pass from me.
I drank it when we met the gas
Beyond Gethsemane.
M2T
2018-09-03 18:49:45 UTC
On 03/09/2018 18:37, Sir Tim wrote:

> http://www.grandprix.com/news/mclaren-confirms-vandoorne-out-for-2019.html
>
> Looks like Vandoorne is to be replaced, but by whom? Norris or Ocon
> maybe? Could be something of a poisoned chalice though.

Lando, who's probably a pay driver as his father is worth shitloads.

~misfit~
2018-09-04 01:37:04 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet M2T wrote:
> On 03/09/2018 18:37, Sir Tim wrote:
>>
>> http://www.grandprix.com/news/mclaren-confirms-vandoorne-out-for-2019.html
>>
>> Looks like Vandoorne is to be replaced, but by whom? Norris or Ocon
>> maybe? Could be something of a poisoned chalice though.
>>

> Lando, who's probably a pay driver as his father is worth shitloads.
>
>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businessclub/10167388/Investor-puts-up-100m-for-pick-of-the-start-up-crop.html

I find it interesting that his son's name is Lando and he's a former
director of Hargreaves LANsDOwn. Did he lose a bet?

Alister
2018-09-04 11:36:50 UTC
On Mon, 03 Sep 2018 18:37:08 +0100, Sir Tim wrote:

> http://www.grandprix.com/news/mclaren-confirms-vandoorne-out-
for-2019.html

> Looks like Vandoorne is to be replaced, but by whom? Norris or Ocon
> maybe? Could be something of a poisoned chalice though.

Then again F1's biggest jinx is leaving so It may be a golden goose for
whoever gets the drive
(Lights blue touch paper & stands well back)

user to computer ratio too high.
M2T
2018-09-04 17:34:41 UTC
On 04/09/2018 12:36, Alister wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Sep 2018 18:37:08 +0100, Sir Tim wrote:
>
>> http://www.grandprix.com/news/mclaren-confirms-vandoorne-out-
> for-2019.html
>>
>> Looks like Vandoorne is to be replaced, but by whom? Norris or Ocon
>> maybe? Could be something of a poisoned chalice though.
>
> Then again F1's biggest jinx is leaving so It may be a golden goose for
> whoever gets the drive
> (Lights blue touch paper & stands well back)

Unlikely, Gobby Zak Brown has bolloxed the opportunity of getting Key
from Toro Rosso in time to work on next year's car.