Wow - Kiwis CAN fly !
2017-05-28 20:03:30 UTC
... and Honda engines are rubbish (for Edfonso's benefit). Oh, hang on,
Sato won the Indy 500 with a Honda engine.

But Merc engines only fail if they are stressed by bad driving, unless
the driver is blond.

geoff
Mower Man
2017-05-28 20:14:01 UTC
... and Honda engines are rubbish (for Edfonso's benefit). Oh, hang on,
Sato won the Indy 500 with a Honda engine.
But Merc engines only fail if they are stressed by bad driving, unless
the driver is blond.
geoff
As I said to Edmundo 9 of the 19 finishers were Honda powered. He's not
paid attention.

---
2017-05-28 20:16:51 UTC
On the same team, no less. Andretti and Honda win, yet again.
Bobster
2017-05-28 20:33:29 UTC
Dixon's crash was scary as heck. Amazing that he walked away. I can remember a time when he would have been maimed at the very least.

A pity about Alfonzie. I'm not sure he would have won from the position he was in, having lost places on a restart, but he was a contender and he provided some great entertainment. I missed him at Monaco, but I enjoyed the 500 and seeing him racing hard and smart and at the front.
News
2017-05-28 21:35:55 UTC
Alfonso got a YUUGE standing ovation from the 300,000 present
Darryl Johnson
2017-05-28 22:11:46 UTC
Dixon's crash was scary as heck. Amazing that he walked away. I can remember a time when he would have been maimed at the very least.
A pity about Alfonzie. I'm not sure he would have won from the position he was in, having lost places on a restart, but he was a contender and he provided some great entertainment. I missed him at Monaco, but I enjoyed the 500 and seeing him racing hard and smart and at the front.
It was interesting (to me) that at the time of his
retirement, the announcers said that he had the
fastest average race speed of all the drivers.

Also interesting was the amount of screen time
that McLaren orange car got, and the number of
times the announcers spoke about him. Also the
standing ovation he got from the grandstand crowd
when he did retire.

I'd have to say that he definitely made an impression.
Bigbird
2017-05-29 16:08:49 UTC
Dixon's crash was scary as heck. Amazing that he walked away. I can
remember a time when he would have been maimed at the very least.
A pity about Alfonzie. I'm not sure he would have won from the
position he was in, having lost places on a restart, but he was a
contender and he provided some great entertainment. I missed him at
Monaco, but I enjoyed the 500 and seeing him racing hard and smart
and at the front.
It was interesting (to me) that at the time of his retirement, the
announcers said that he had the fastest average race speed of all the
drivers.
Interesting in that you question it's veracity or that you wonder how a
car retiring from other than 1st can have the highest average speed?
Also interesting was the amount of screen time that McLaren orange
car got, and the number of times the announcers spoke about him. Also
the standing ovation he got from the grandstand crowd when he did
retire.
I'd have to say that he definitely made an impression.
Indubitably, I am quite sure one of the commentators was touching
himself while attempting to talk about Ferdie... gushing between
moments lost for words.

He certainly made it look easy...
Phil Carmody
2017-06-04 03:49:51 UTC
Dixon's crash was scary as heck. Amazing that he walked away. I can remember a time when he would have been maimed at the very least.
Yeah, that put me in a mild state of shock, the upside-down landing on
the corner of the barrier. Good chassis design to have that a
walk-away type prang. In the decades I've been watching F1, I've seen
few that have looked so potentially visceral.
Post by Bobster
A pity about Alfonzie. I'm not sure he would have won from the
position he was in, having lost places on a restart, but he was a
contender and he provided some great entertainment. I missed him at
Monaco, but I enjoyed the 500 and seeing him racing hard and smart
and at the front.
It was interesting (to me) that at the time of his retirement, the
announcers said that he had the fastest average race speed of all the
drivers.
You probably saw the same transmission as me. What fucking incompetent
commentators, never announcing when interesting things had happened,
and seeming so naive about fundamental things such as optimising pit
strategies. (Then again, some of the teams were just as naive, having
their drivers coast back on fumes occasionally.)

The cherry on top was the retarded terminology they used, which might
be standard in that arena, but is still so utterly retarded anyone
using it should be gently culled for the good of the species. The
"straight" is a "straight", not a "straightaway": one of those words
is an adjective describing a portion of track, and by extension, a
noun describing the thing with that property; the other is an adverb
describing the time of an action. I can aonly assume, it was acoined
aby asome ahick athat ahad a aproblem acreating anoun aphrases.

And in what way does doing your 5th pit stop on lap 136 possibly make
the race "become a one stop race"? There's a perfectly unambiguous
term for needing one more stop, which is "to need one more stop".

And no, this is not a nationalistic anti-american thing, the british
commentators that say "five one thousandths of a second" are just as
retarded for not noticing there're two numerators in the fraction. And
the american term "fall" for autumn is not just perfectly sensible,
it's perfectly english too.
Also interesting was the amount of screen time that McLaren orange car
got, and the number of times the announcers spoke about him. Also the
standing ovation he got from the grandstand crowd when he did retire.
I'd have to say that he definitely made an impression.
Agree. It was a good show. If another F1 driver whose exploits I'm
interested in races in Indy500 in future years, I shall definitely
watch the race again.

Phil
--
Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when the DSM has
a cozy little place next to the bible in the "Fiction" shelf
in the library.
t***@gmail.com
2017-06-04 05:02:24 UTC
This fool is still using the word
"retarted"
t***@gmail.com
2017-06-04 05:09:47 UTC
Sorry retarded. But what a fucking tool.
Phil Carmody
2017-06-04 05:04:19 UTC
It was interesting (to me) that at the time of his retirement, the
announcers said that he had the fastest average race speed of all the
drivers.
Damn, I forgot to address the point that had instigated my response.
The time each of the racers had spent in the race was identical,
viz. the difference between the time of his retirement, and the time
the race started. The average race speed ought logically to be the
total distance covered divided by the time elapsed, common to all
drivers. Therefore, as there were six drivers who had covered more
distance than Fred who was in place 7, there really ought to have been
six drivers with a higher average race speed than him. Doed Indy have
a definition for "average race speed" that differs from average race
speed?

Phil
in the library.
Bobster
There are slow and fast periods of a race. If you led through all the slow periods, then got jumped towards the end by somebody who put in a couple of blistering laps, might you have a higher AVERAGE lap speed than the guy in front of you?
~misfit~
2017-06-05 04:27:48 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
It was interesting (to me) that at the time of his retirement, the
announcers said that he had the fastest average race speed of all
the drivers.
Damn, I forgot to address the point that had instigated my response.
The time each of the racers had spent in the race was identical,
viz. the difference between the time of his retirement, and the time
the race started. The average race speed ought logically to be the
total distance covered divided by the time elapsed, common to all
drivers. Therefore, as there were six drivers who had covered more
distance than Fred who was in place 7, there really ought to have been
six drivers with a higher average race speed than him. Doed Indy have
a definition for "average race speed" that differs from average race
speed?
It's more than likely.

2017-06-04 11:46:28 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
It was interesting (to me) that at the time of his retirement, the
announcers said that he had the fastest average race speed of all the
drivers.
You probably saw the same transmission as me. What fucking incompetent
commentators, never announcing when interesting things had happened,
and seeming so naive about fundamental things such as optimising pit
strategies. (Then again, some of the teams were just as naive, having
their drivers coast back on fumes occasionally.)
We got the ESPN coverage in SA. I was struck by how often they seemed to be commentating for people who are not regular watchers of motorsport. I also recall being a little interested to find that cars no longer "push" or "start to push" or "develop a push", they now "go tight". But that was OK because it's the opposite of "loose", a term they have used for years in the USA. At one point they started to explain what was meant by a car being "tight", another hint that maybe they were addressing the casual watchers and not just the cognoscenti.

It's an interesting conumdrum: Who do you commentate for? The people watching for the first time, or those who know the difference between ERS and DRS?
Post by Phil Carmody
[...]
But you knew what they meant, right? I'm not much of a scholar, so maybe it's easier for me. I place understanding above grammatic purity. I do expect a certain level. I get bit annoyed, for instance, when people say "Alonso is doing a faster lap than what Hamilton did", but I do understand what they are saying - which is the main thing.
Post by Phil Carmody
Also interesting was the amount of screen time that McLaren orange car
got, and the number of times the announcers spoke about him. Also the
standing ovation he got from the grandstand crowd when he did retire.
I'd have to say that he definitely made an impression.
Agree. It was a good show. If another F1 driver whose exploits I'm
interested in races in Indy500 in future years, I shall definitely
watch the race again.
I might watch next year, irrespective. That's if it's shown here. It wasn't on the schedules originally, then suddenly appeared. Interestingly not on the channel usually used for motorsport. They moved Monaco and Indy to one of the two main sports channels. Usually F1 is shown on 206, and you have to a hoity toity, super duper package to see that. 202 - usually used for rugby and cricket - is visible to the hoi polloi. Yet suddenly there was motorsport on the more open channel.

They'd usually not show motorsport on that channel. Even if there's nothing live they will fill it up with highlights packages from the IRL or a documentary on the lives of famous tighthead props or something.

I guess they got a lot of enquiries.
~misfit~
2017-06-05 04:26:34 UTC
Post by Bobster
[...]
Agreed. The low point for me was when they came back after a break during
the second 100 laps and one of the mouth breathers said that 'the highlight
of the race so far' had been Dixons accident.

2017-06-06 01:34:05 UTC
one of the mouth breathers
This coming from deluxe cunt. Full of meds.
Sitting in shitty diaper. With a chip on his
shoulder.

geoff
2017-05-28 22:38:12 UTC
... and Honda engines are rubbish (for Edfonso's benefit). Oh, hang
on, Sato won the Indy 500 with a Honda engine.
But Merc engines only fail if they are stressed by bad driving, unless
the driver is blond.
geoff
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/93074210/scott-dixon-survives-terrifying-crash-at-the-indy-500

F1 is so lame ....