Sirotkin
fnot
2018-02-25 01:39:33 UTC
From Motorsport.com

"Well, I'm alone, yeah. But with a schedule like this, it's hard to be
bored. I wake up at 6:15 sharp every morning – I don't have to change my
alarm settings every day – so that I can head out before eight o'clock
and the traffic jams, and be at base at 8:30 guaranteed. Usually I make
it there earlier.

The work day ends at four or five – if everything is according to plan.
Maybe a bit after five. Then after you train a bit, it's half-past seven
in the best case scenario. Then you head to the store, buy something to
eat, cook something – at that point you don't care in the least where
you are and what the surroundings look like. Main thing is to lie down,
get some sleep and wake up at 6:15. And that's for five weeks straight."

Nice work ethic. Nice to be young and motivated.
I'm predicting he'll out pace the veteran.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-25 08:22:35 UTC
On Sunday, 25 February 2018 03:39:34 UTC+2, fnot wrote:
> From Motorsport.com
>
> "Well, I'm alone, yeah. But with a schedule like this, it's hard to be
> bored. I wake up at 6:15 sharp every morning – I don't have to change my
> alarm settings every day – so that I can head out before eight o'clock
> and the traffic jams, and be at base at 8:30 guaranteed. Usually I make
> it there earlier.
>
> The work day ends at four or five – if everything is according to plan.
> Maybe a bit after five. Then after you train a bit, it's half-past seven
> in the best case scenario. Then you head to the store, buy something to
> eat, cook something – at that point you don't care in the least where
> you are and what the surroundings look like. Main thing is to lie down,
> get some sleep and wake up at 6:15. And that's for five weeks straight."
>
> Nice work ethic. Nice to be young and motivated.

I think what he's describing is not unusual for a young race driver. From at least F3 up, it's not just about turning up on weekends to race and doing the odd test. Maybe some of the top guys who have proven themselves can do things a bit different, or maybe are left to their own devices, but I'd wager that Hamilton, for example, still works pretty hard in between races. If he started coasting, his car would coast too.

He was faster in testing, wasn't he? Isn't that why Williams signed him? He was the fastest driver available to them.
~misfit~
2018-02-25 12:56:13 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet fnot wrote:
> From Motorsport.com
>
> "Well, I'm alone, yeah. But with a schedule like this, it's hard to be
> bored. I wake up at 6:15 sharp every morning - I don't have to change
> my alarm settings every day - so that I can head out before eight
> o'clock and the traffic jams, and be at base at 8:30 guaranteed.
> Usually I make it there earlier.
>
> The work day ends at four or five - if everything is according to
> plan. Maybe a bit after five. Then after you train a bit, it's
> half-past seven in the best case scenario. Then you head to the
> store, buy something to eat, cook something - at that point you don't
> care in the least where you are and what the surroundings look like.
> Main thing is to lie down, get some sleep and wake up at 6:15. And
> that's for five weeks straight."
> Nice work ethic. Nice to be young and motivated.
> I'm predicting he'll out pace the veteran.

I saw him race in GP2 and he was impressive - in my top 3 for his last year.

2018-02-25 16:06:01 UTC
On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:39:34 PM UTC-8, fnot wrote:

Work ethic: it reminded me immediately of three characters who needed money to get into serious racing, and they opted for the iron ore mines of Australia: David Kennedy and Derek Daly from Ireland, and 'native' Alan Jones.

Here's a hilarious story from David Kennedy. http://en.f1i.com/magazine/11318-breakfast-with-david-kennedy.html

btw, Alan Jones once said that working in the iron mines was as close to Hell as a human being could go, (and Jonesy was a tough guy to start with).
build
2018-02-26 12:02:51 UTC
On Monday, 26 February 2018 03:06:05 UTC+11, bra wrote:
> On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:39:34 PM UTC-8, fnot wrote:
>
> Work ethic: it reminded me immediately of three characters who needed money to get into serious racing, and they opted for the iron ore mines of Australia: David Kennedy and Derek Daly from Ireland, and 'native' Alan Jones.
>
> Here's a hilarious story from David Kennedy. http://en.f1i.com/magazine/11318-breakfast-with-david-kennedy.html

Well, it's true that that it is a story and entertaining.

> btw, Alan Jones once said that working in the iron mines was as close to Hell as a human being could go, (and Jonesy was a tough guy to start with).

I've never heard Jonsey mention working in any mine. Jonsey was an Xavier (Aussie private school) boy, who was good at selling cars.

beers,