Sauber walk way from honda
Add Reply
alister
2017-07-27 15:14:09 UTC
“It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned
collaboration with Honda at this stage,” stated Sauber’s new team
principal Frederic Vasseur.

“However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and with the
best intent for the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind."

Translation - we want a fighting chance of scoring some points
We'll pivot at warp 2 and bring all tubes to bear, Mr. Sulu!
~misfit~
2017-07-28 03:16:14 UTC
"It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned
collaboration with Honda at this stage," stated Sauber's new team
principal Frederic Vasseur.
"However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and with
the best intent for the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind."
Translation - we want a fighting chance of scoring some points
Translation - this years Ferrari PU is turning out to be pretty damn good
compared with last years and we can have it next year! (Also as the
specification matures there's likely to be less change in power output
year-on-year between PUs.)

Ferrari might even give them a current year PU if they get rid of the
Mercedes-backed tin-top driver Wehrlein and give Leclerc or preferably
Giovinazzi his seat.

Sreekumar A
2017-07-28 09:45:10 UTC
Post by alister
“It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned
collaboration with Honda at this stage,” stated Sauber’s new team
principal Frederic Vasseur.
“However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and with the
best intent for the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind."
Translation - we want a fighting chance of scoring some points
Sauber will use latest spec Ferrari engines from 2018

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/356359/sauber-to-use-ferrari-power-units-in-2018/

or

http://tinyurl.com/yc9jczxp

Sreekumar
~misfit~
2017-07-28 14:48:42 UTC
Post by Sreekumar A
"It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned
collaboration with Honda at this stage," stated Sauber's new team
principal Frederic Vasseur.
"However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and
with the best intent for the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind."
Translation - we want a fighting chance of scoring some points
Sauber will use latest spec Ferrari engines from 2018
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/356359/sauber-to-use-ferrari-power-units-in-2018/
or
http://tinyurl.com/yc9jczxp
Interesting, thanks. I just speculated that this might happen... I wonder if
Sauber will be fielding a Ferrari young driver next year?

2017-07-28 15:01:38 UTC
Post by Sreekumar A
Sauber will use latest spec Ferrari engines from 2018
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/356359/sauber-to-use-ferrari-power-units-in-2018/
or
http://tinyurl.com/yc9jczxp
Interesting, thanks. I just speculated that this might happen... I wonder if
Sauber will be fielding a Ferrari young driver next year?
'Vasseur admitted earlier this week that once the engine deal had been
put in place, the possibility of a driver partnership could also be sorted.

'"That will be part of the discussions for sure," he said. "We'll see.

'"Each point one by one, we first sort out the engine situation, and
then drivers."'

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130961
I believe I am right. And, if not right, plausible.
- Ignatius Donnelly
~misfit~
2017-07-29 02:00:29 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Sreekumar A
Sauber will use latest spec Ferrari engines from 2018
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/356359/sauber-to-use-ferrari-power-units-in-2018/
or
http://tinyurl.com/yc9jczxp
Interesting, thanks. I just speculated that this might happen... I
wonder if Sauber will be fielding a Ferrari young driver next year?
'Vasseur admitted earlier this week that once the engine deal had been
put in place, the possibility of a driver partnership could also be sorted.
'"That will be part of the discussions for sure," he said. "We'll see.
'"Each point one by one, we first sort out the engine situation, and
then drivers."'
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130961
Thanks Mark - I guess I should read more F1 sites maybe rather than just
speculate.

I always thought it precarious perhaps how Sauber was in bed with both Merc
(via Wehrlein and funds paid / considerations 'given' in return for his
seat) and Ferrari (via PU supply) - then announcing they were going to use
Honda PUs. Monisha juggled the resulting conflicts very well. Seems Vasseur
isn't going to follow the same path, instead dropping the Merc connections
and Honda supply and going 100% with Ferrari - and getting the latest tech
discounted as a reward perhaps.So will we have Ferrari, Ferrari Lite [Hass]
and Ferrari B [Sauber] from 2018?

As a rule my F1 'fandom' is limited to checking the official site for qually
results, watching coverage of the races (plus pre- and post- coverage) and
reading here, maybe following a few links posted here... I very rarely go
to F1 sites unbidden, usually only if I feel the need to find further info
on a particular subject rather than checking 'news'.

The main reason I don't trawl motorsport sites is that I usually watch races
delayed to varying degrees depending on the series and have seen too many
'spoilers'.

2017-07-29 03:40:51 UTC
Thanks Mark - I guess I should read more F1 sites maybe rather than just
speculate.
I always thought it precarious perhaps how Sauber was in bed with both Merc
(via Wehrlein and funds paid / considerations 'given' in return for his
seat) and Ferrari (via PU supply) - then announcing they were going to use
Honda PUs. Monisha juggled the resulting conflicts very well. Seems Vasseur
isn't going to follow the same path, instead dropping the Merc connections
and Honda supply and going 100% with Ferrari - and getting the latest tech
discounted as a reward perhaps.So will we have Ferrari, Ferrari Lite [Hass]
and Ferrari B [Sauber] from 2018?
Reports are that Vasseur wouldn't take the job if the team were going to run Honda PUs. Speculation was that he wanted Renault, but there is a requirement that any PU manufacturer wanting to supply more than 3 teams must gain approval from the F1 commission, and it was thought unlikely that that would happen.

The attitude on drivers hasn't changed. Kaltenborn had said that the would be receptive to keeping the PU supplier happy by taking a Honda-backed driver.
t***@gmail.com
goody gumdrops
~misfit~
2017-07-30 04:13:32 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet ~misfit~ wrote:
[snipped]
Post by ~misfit~
The main reason I don't trawl motorsport sites is that I usually
watch races delayed to varying degrees depending on the series and
have seen too many 'spoilers'.
I should have then mentioned that other big reason I don't trawl F1 sites is
that 80% of them are nothing more than F1 tabloids and/or re-post sites,
copying news and gossip from other sites.

2017-07-30 04:28:28 UTC
I should have then mentioned that other big reason I don't trawl F1 sites is
fuck off, enough
John
2017-07-29 21:10:51 UTC
It will be very fortunate if they can put the 2018 Ferrari in their 2018 car.
Edmund
2017-07-30 10:38:13 UTC
Post by alister
“It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned
collaboration with Honda at this stage,” stated Sauber’s new team
principal Frederic Vasseur.
“However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and with the
best intent for the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind."
Translation - we want a fighting chance of scoring some points
Yup but probably Hasegawa will bent that into something different,
something like Sauber considers Honda to be too good or powerful for them.