Predictions anyone
2018-02-24 09:49:05 UTC
OK with a couple of days to go, anyone like to guess about anything
in F1 for this year?
Will Merc remain the best PU?
How much power will the different PU’s have and for how long?
Will the RenaultPU -rumored- more then 950 HP be closer to Merc, will
it be more reliable?
Will Honda suddenly have hired a decent manager and have produced
the best PU ?
Will McLaren be close to Red Bull with the same engine?
Will Toro Rosso ( oh dear ) beat McLaren?
What will Ferrari do?

My guess:
PU will be as always, Merc the best by far.
Other PU’s might come closer in terms of peak power
but not be as efficient and not have that power available
as long as Merc during a race distance.
Renault will be closer this year.
Honda - nope nothing.
McLaren/RedBull I think Red Bull mostly but on the slower
circuits McLaren.
Ferrari, probably after Merc again.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-24 10:13:48 UTC
Post by Edmund
OK with a couple of days to go, anyone like to guess about anything
in F1 for this year?
Will Merc remain the best PU?
How much power will the different PU’s have and for how long?
Will the RenaultPU -rumored- more then 950 HP be closer to Merc, will
it be more reliable?
Will Honda suddenly have hired a decent manager and have produced
the best PU ?
Will McLaren be close to Red Bull with the same engine?
Will Toro Rosso ( oh dear ) beat McLaren?
What will Ferrari do?
It remains to be seen what affect the new engine limits will have. Everybody is going to have to turn the wick down a bit to get through a season on 3 power units.

This doesn't have to close the gap, and Renault last year were both less powerful and less reliable than the Merc, but I hope the gap is reduced.

Honda could have cut their losses and gone away. The haven't. I hope their persistence gets a bit of a reward. F1 is better if the PUs get closer to each other in performance.

The question about Red Bull and McLaren is for me one of the points of interest. There's been plenty said, that last couple of years, and especially last year, about McLaren having a very good chassis with a pretty poor PU. The theory goes that the reason that Merc and Ferrari declined to do PU deals is because they feared the McLaren could be a contender. So let's hope those concerns were well founded. If Alonso gets a decent car, he could shake things up at the front.

I think Merc have two big assets - Wolff and Hamilton. Wolff, for me, has been the best team leader the last couple of years. Clearly passionate, but also diplomatic and very good at keeping the team focussed and united.

Hamilton was impressive early last year. As the pressure started increasing mid season, at which point Vettel looked to be in with a very real shot at the championship, Hamilton kept his head and his focus and made a difference that Vettel in the end failed to and that Bottas (for one) could not have. For me this was his most impressive title campaign, and he may well be at his peak right about now. Both those men made a difference last year.
Edmund
2018-02-24 11:02:34 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Edmund
OK with a couple of days to go, anyone like to guess about anything
in F1 for this year?
Will Merc remain the best PU?
How much power will the different PU’s have and for how long?
Will the RenaultPU -rumored- more then 950 HP be closer to Merc, will
it be more reliable?
Will Honda suddenly have hired a decent manager and have produced
the best PU ?
Will McLaren be close to Red Bull with the same engine?
Will Toro Rosso ( oh dear ) beat McLaren?
What will Ferrari do?
It remains to be seen what affect the new engine limits will have.
There wouldn't be much guessing left if we knew everything up front.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Everybody is going to have to turn the wick down a bit to get through a
season on 3 power units.
Or find a way to make the engines last with the same or more power of
course.
difference last year.
keefy
2018-02-24 14:16:13 UTC
Post by Edmund
Post by m***@gmail.com
Everybody is going to have to turn the wick down a bit to get through a
season on 3 power units.
Or find a way to make the engines last with the same or more power of
course.
Which is no doubt what the engineers will have been doing over the
winter. I would expect far more of their efforts this off-season have
gone into reliability than performance which would allow them to run the
PU for more races without having to turn the wick down as much. But also
of course they will probably think whether they would do better by using
a 4th PU and taking a grid penalty at just 1 race.
m***@gmail.com
Maybe. I can't see Merc or Ferrari customer teams being allowed to take that route, and it's not an option for teams genuinely in contention. But there might be some teams in a position to do this and, as you say, to make some interesting strategic choices.
m***@gmail.com
2018-03-01 17:10:41 UTC
Post by keefy
Which is no doubt what the engineers will have been doing over the
winter. I would expect far more of their efforts this off-season have
gone into reliability than performance which would allow them to run the
PU for more races without having to turn the wick down as much. But also
of course they will probably think whether they would do better by using
a 4th PU and taking a grid penalty at just 1 race.
Turns out that Renault might be thinking along those lines. Another advantage is that a 4th PU is another chance to introduce an upgrade.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134566/renault-already-considering-grid-penalty-tactics