Ferrari cheating again. (Surprise surprise surprise....)
2018-05-16 11:22:59 UTC
So the gos is that for the first 3 races Ferrari have been using an illegal
internal ES bypass system that has allowed them to use more electrical
energy than the regulations allow. The FIA found out on Thursday / Friday at
Barcellona. This meant that Ferrari were in contravention of the regs and
could have had their points taken away fron those three races (at the
least).

However FOM / FIA needed their 2019 regs to go through so instead of
penalising Ferrari they let them off in return for Ferrari supporting the
new regs. Early in the weekend Ferrari were dead against the proposed
changes but by Saturday afternoon were all for them and so they were passed.

The only thing I have that's remotely a cite is Marc Preistley's latest
youtube video. There are other whispers here and there in the F1 media.

Also there's speculation that Whitmarsh's being at the Grand Prix was a
harbinger of changes at McLaren - and that there's a chance he'll return....

See this video for more info

(I've heard elsewhere that the way the energy was 'stolen' didn't suit
Vettels driving style which explains why Kimi had been quicker early on.
Speculation is the mystery lever was so that he could use the energy in a
more controlled manner and ultimately that's how they got busted. If they'd
left it as it was Kimi might have won the WCC but he's not Ferraris first
choice - hence the lever.)

If Vettel wins the championship I'll be spitting because it'll be down to
this back-door deal and him running an illegal car for three races. Without
the stolen energy the Ferrari wasn't anywhere near as quick in Spain - a
track that otherwise suited them.

Personally I don't think there should be any limit on ho wmuch electrical
energy is used in a lap as long as all of it comes from the fuel via the ICE
/ MGUs.

2018-05-16 11:43:02 UTC
See this video for more info http://youtu.be/T5OxyB11XAc
(I've heard elsewhere that the way the energy was 'stolen' didn't suit
Vettels driving style which explains why Kimi had been quicker early on.
Speculation is the mystery lever was so that he could use the energy in a
more controlled manner and ultimately that's how they got busted. If they'd
left it as it was Kimi might have won the WCC but he's not Ferraris first
choice - hence the lever.)
If Vettel wins the championship I'll be spitting because it'll be down to
this back-door deal and him running an illegal car for three races. Without
the stolen energy the Ferrari wasn't anywhere near as quick in Spain - a
track that otherwise suited them.
Personally I don't think there should be any limit on ho wmuch electrical
energy is used in a lap as long as all of it comes from the fuel via the ICE
/ MGUs.
The FIA bought back Whitmarsh in Jan. He's involved cost cutting as a
consultant.

Ferrari cheating and getting away with it. Move on, nothing to see here!
larkim
2018-05-16 14:30:16 UTC
--
Beyond a fully charged battery on the start line, where else is this energy
going to come from?
M2T
2018-05-16 22:24:18 UTC
Personally I don't think there should be any limit on ho wmuch electrical
energy is used in a lap as long as all of it comes from the fuel via the ICE
/ MGUs.
--
Beyond a fully charged battery on the start line, where else is this energy
going to come from?
All F1 batteries hold more power than cars are allowed to use. Ferrari
are bypassing a sensor and pushing through up to 20hp more than allowed.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/rivals-could-protest-ferrari-battery.html
larkim
2018-05-17 13:24:28 UTC
Personally I don't think there should be any limit on ho wmuch electrical
energy is used in a lap as long as all of it comes from the fuel via the ICE
/ MGUs.
--
Beyond a fully charged battery on the start line, where else is this energy
going to come from?
All F1 batteries hold more power than cars are allowed to use. Ferrari
are bypassing a sensor and pushing through up to 20hp more than allowed.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/rivals-could-protest-ferrari-battery.html
Is electrical energy delivery more efficient than ICE delivered? I take
your point about the "additional" energy, but even if they were putting
more joules through from the battery, they still have to get it from the
various re-cycling sources on the car which come from the fuel.

I presume that's the point though - the cycle of harvesting the energy from
the various recovery mechanisms through to power deployment from the battery
is more efficient than simply wasting the energy through heat / noise to the
environment.

My technical knowledge is practically zero you must understand!
News
2018-05-17 13:33:05 UTC
[...]
Kinetic energy may be harvested, converted and stored for timely and
opportunistic re-use; need not be continuously or immediately applied.
M2T
2018-05-17 13:55:50 UTC
[...]
I'd expect the usual procedure is to harvest until the battery is full.
Continued harvesting would be pointless. Remember the cars have to show
a red light when they're harvesting, as it slows the car.
~misfit~
2018-05-17 14:26:57 UTC
[...]
They are limited to using 4 megajoules of 'recovered' electrical energy per
lap (IIRC). It's strongly rumoured that Ferrari have been exceeding that
limit for the first three races of this season using tricky hidden
electronics.

I think that the FIA are keeping teams to a limit so that the cars will stay
largely ICE-powered. If there were no limit then the ICE could become
increasingly a feed-through for an ever-bigger turbine with the MGU-H
pushing power straight to the MGU-K - essentially a hybrid turbine /
electric system with an ICE tacked on the front end. This is the logical
progression in the F1 environment if the system weren't capped at a set
amount of electrical energy deployment.

With such a hybrid system as much or more of the motive power could go
through the electrical system as the mechanical system. It would make sense
to basically keep the ICE as close as possible to peak efficiency revs and
have the throttle vary the power from the MGU-H to the MGU-K using the ES as
a short-term buffer. A sort-of turbine-electrical CVT...

At least that's my take.

2018-05-19 08:05:52 UTC
[...]
I don't know what those rule makers think or if they think at all.
What I do know is that they effectively ruin the whole idea
of racing and the development of clever efficient idea's.

No worry, they can always install Bernies oil sprinklers later on
if the obligated wrong tyres and the obligated parachutes are not
enough to overcome the overtake limitations they caused with their
silly regulations.

Edmund

b***@topmail.co.nz
2018-05-18 04:41:52 UTC
All F1 batteries hold more power than cars are allowed to use. Ferrari
are bypassing a sensor and pushing through up to 20hp more than allowed.
Wouldn't sucking an extra 20 HP out of the battery shorten its life?
How many batteries are they allowed per season?
~misfit~
2018-05-18 10:11:56 UTC
Post by b***@topmail.co.nz
Post by M2T
All F1 batteries hold more power than cars are allowed to use.
Ferrari are bypassing a sensor and pushing through up to 20hp more
than allowed.
Wouldn't sucking an extra 20 HP out of the battery shorten its life?
How many batteries are they allowed per season?
Not necessarily. Three, they call then the 'ES' for Energy Store.

keefy
2018-05-18 21:04:25 UTC
Post by b***@topmail.co.nz
Post by M2T
All F1 batteries hold more power than cars are allowed to use.
Ferrari are bypassing a sensor and pushing through up to 20hp more
than allowed.
Wouldn't sucking an extra 20 HP out of the battery shorten its life?
How many batteries are they allowed per season?
Not necessarily. Three, they call then the 'ES' for Energy Store.
I was under the impression they are allowed 3 each of ICE, turbo and
MGU-H and 2 each of ES and Control Electronics.
~misfit~
2018-05-18 23:39:01 UTC
Post by keefy
Post by ~misfit~
Post by b***@topmail.co.nz
Post by M2T
All F1 batteries hold more power than cars are allowed to use.
Ferrari are bypassing a sensor and pushing through up to 20hp more
than allowed.
Wouldn't sucking an extra 20 HP out of the battery shorten its life?
How many batteries are they allowed per season?
Not necessarily. Three, they call then the 'ES' for Energy Store.
I was under the impression they are allowed 3 each of ICE, turbo and
MGU-H and 2 each of ES and Control Electronics.
Actually you could be right. Probably are in fact, I remember reading
something like that. Thanks for the correction.

2018-05-19 00:02:46 UTC
Actually you could be right. Probably are in fact
Actually you could be a faggot. Probably are in fact a faggot.
Alan Baker
2018-05-16 16:34:54 UTC
[...]
"there was talk"

"that suggests"

/ MGUs.
Sir Tim
2018-05-16 21:59:37 UTC
[...]
Classic weasel words of course, but an intriguing bit of gossip
nevertheless.
2018-05-16 23:53:08 UTC
[...]
The guy works in pit lane and spends a bit of time in the various garages.
The last thing he wants to do is make unfounded accusations and enemies.
Post by Sir Tim
Classic weasel words of course, but an intriguing bit of gossip
nevertheless.
Where there's smoke there's fire....

2018-05-17 00:29:29 UTC
[...]
Sorry, but it's still a far cry from "Ferrari cheating again".
Not always. And this is only a few wisps of smoke.
News
Meanwhile, the Mercs are still getting away with it...
Alan Baker
2018-05-17 02:54:42 UTC
[...]
I don't pretend to having magical insider knowledge.

Are all teams trying to find loopholes in the rules? Yes: all the time.

Will some of those attempts be found to be illegal? Yup.
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-18 05:59:35 UTC
I don't pretend to having magical insider knowledge.
blow me
geoff
2018-05-18 11:38:48 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Alan Baker
I don't pretend to having magical insider knowledge.
blow me
Um, thanks but no.

geoff
keithr0
2018-05-17 04:04:59 UTC
Where there's smoke there's fire....
You've obviously never been camping :)
geoff
2018-05-17 04:51:11 UTC
Post by keithr0
Post by ~misfit~
Where there's smoke there's fire....
You've obviously never been camping :)
Where there's smoke there's smoke.

2018-05-17 05:54:38 UTC
Post by keithr0
Post by ~misfit~
Where there's smoke there's fire....
You've obviously never been camping :)
I once went to The Rocky Horror Picture Show in a basque and
suspenders... does that count?

I was SSSSSSMOKIN!
geoff
2018-05-17 06:57:32 UTC
Post by keithr0
Post by ~misfit~
Where there's smoke there's fire....
You've obviously never been camping :)
I once went to The Rocky Horror Picture Show in a basque and
suspenders... does that count?
I was SSSSSSMOKIN!
I once went to a barbeque where the host told me it was a RHS themed
function. So I did a reasonable Frankenfurter. But it turned out it was
only me that he had told about the theme.

Texarsehole would have got far more that semi.

2018-05-17 12:08:34 UTC
On Thu, 17 May 2018 05:54:38 -0000 (UTC), "Bigbird"
Post by Bigbird
Post by keithr0
Post by ~misfit~
Where there's smoke there's fire....
You've obviously never been camping :)
I once went to The Rocky Horror Picture Show in a basque and
suspenders... does that count?
I was SSSSSSMOKIN!
For God's sake man, don't post stuff like that, you will give
Texasgate an uncontrollable orgasm.
~misfit~
2018-05-17 14:28:37 UTC
Post by keithr0
Post by ~misfit~
Where there's smoke there's fire....
You've obviously never been camping :)
I once went to The Rocky Horror Picture Show in a basque and
suspenders... does that count?
I was SSSSSSMOKIN!
So you were *really* 'camping'!

2018-05-17 10:20:18 UTC
Where there's smoke there's...
<cough> Mirrors! <cough>
~misfit~
2018-05-17 14:27:42 UTC
Where there's smoke there's...
<cough> Mirrors! <cough>
LOL!

2018-05-17 13:07:28 UTC
Where there's smoke
...there's insufficient lubrication
geoff
2018-05-17 20:38:59 UTC
Where there's smoke
...there's insufficient lubrication
Isn't that little puff of smoke out of Texarsegate's arse from burning
lubricating oil ?

The little poof is Texarsegate.
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-17 02:05:01 UTC
[...]
You have a problem with cheating.
But you pirating F1 tv coverage is ethical.
Fuck off, loser, hypocrite.
RzR
2018-05-17 09:38:03 UTC
[...]
of course they are...they were all of the sudden destroying
mercedes...now things are back to where they are suppose to
be...hamilton catching schumachers record, but without team orders
larkim
One track does not make a season.
FB
2018-05-18 21:29:39 UTC
"~misfit~" <***@gmail.com> wrote news:pdh4am$8r7$***@dont-email.me...
(snip)
...Ferrari have been using an illegal internal ES bypass system that has
allowed them to use more electrical energy than the regulations allow...
but still not burning extra oil, innit?

FB
DumbedDownUSA
2018-05-19 05:20:15 UTC
Post by FB
...Ferrari have been using an illegal internal ES bypass system
that has allowed them to use more electrical energy than the
regulations allow...
but still not burning extra oil, innit?
Well no, one would hope the regs prevent any repeat.
--
Trump averages six falsehoods a day; how you doin'?