Gasly in NY Formula E
2017-07-16 19:00:02 UTC
Young Pierre has made a pretty good fist of standing in for Buemi in this weekend's races in New York. Beumi had clashing WEC commitments.

Gasly missed "shakedown" practice on Friday, arriving in NY only in time for final practice and quali.

He qualified well up the field but dropped to the back during Saturday's race.

Today he qualified 4th, and maintained that position behind the two Mahindra cars (Heidfeld and Rosenqvist) until making a last corner lunge. The onscreen leaderboard showed him as momentarily in 3rd, but then he crashed into the right wall, crossed the finish line out of control missing 3rd by 0.037 (I think), and then came to rest against the left wall.

https://twitter.com/FIAformulaE/status/886648206024638466
~misfit~
2017-07-18 07:53:52 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Young Pierre has made a pretty good fist of standing in for Buemi in
this weekend's races in New York. Beumi had clashing WEC commitments.
Gasly missed "shakedown" practice on Friday, arriving in NY only in
time for final practice and quali.
He qualified well up the field but dropped to the back during
Saturday's race.
Today he qualified 4th, and maintained that position behind the two
Mahindra cars (Heidfeld and Rosenqvist) until making a last corner
lunge. The onscreen leaderboard showed him as momentarily in 3rd, but
then he crashed into the right wall, crossed the finish line out of
control missing 3rd by 0.037 (I think), and then came to rest against
the left wall.
https://twitter.com/FIAformulaE/status/886648206024638466
(I didn't reply earlier as I hadn't seen the races at that point and didn't
want spoilers.)

Gasly'd have to be a complete waste of skin to *not* do well in that car
though after the millions BRB have spent on him. The car's been untouchable
since the start of Formula E (and the sister car has been pretty damn good
too despite having a driver in it who's only there due to neoptism).

Renault E.Dams has won every Formula E constructors championship easily and
currently has 259 championship points for the season with no other team
having cracked the 200 mark. They're like the Mercedes of F.E except moreso
as all of the other cars are running varying degrees of Renault kit.

It's lucky that there is so much 'bounce' in those TechPro walls or Gasly
might not have finished race 2. I bet if Mitch had been in that car for the
weekend he'd have beaten Sam. ;)