Stirling Moss
Add Reply
brafield
2017-02-05 23:30:30 UTC
I haven't heard how Stirling is doing, but I did just come across this Getty archive photo of a willing Moss appearing at the National Model Show at the New Horticultural Hall, Westminster, London, 24th August 1965.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/51462587
t***@gmail.com
2017-02-06 01:02:28 UTC
I am sure someone will contact you with an update.
Bobster
2017-02-06 02:33:25 UTC
Post by brafield
I haven't heard how Stirling is doing, but I did just come across this Getty archive photo of a willing Moss appearing at the National Model Show at the New Horticultural Hall, Westminster, London, 24th August 1965.
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/51462587
From 1965 - 3 years after his career ending crash. He's still an attraction. There are all the stories about the police asking speeding drivers "who do you think you are? Stirling Moss?".

He really grabbed a place in the public consciousness, and held it for a long time.
a425couple
2017-02-06 04:02:49 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by brafield
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/51462587
From 1965 - 3 years after his career ending crash. He's still an
attraction.
-There are all the stories about the police asking speeding drivers
-"who do you think you are? Stirling Moss?".
Post by Bobster
He really grabbed a place in the public consciousness,
- and held it for a long time.

He worked very hard, to make that (being an attraction, and
a good interview) his career & profession.
brafield
2017-02-06 17:01:41 UTC
Post by a425couple
He worked very hard, to make that (being an attraction, and
a good interview) his career & profession.
Re "work": his autobiog described a hospital stay when Stirling was extremely impatient. He commented to an idle, contented chap in the same ward, "It's obvious you have a job and don't work for yourself!"

As an aside: when A.J.Foyt smashed his legs in 1990 (at age 55) and was doing rehab, grunting and sweating for hours, the Houston Oilers football trainer dragged in one of his young 'injured' quarterbacks, pointed at Foyt and said "Don't EVER tell me you hurt too much to play."
.
2017-02-06 17:47:56 UTC
Post by brafield
Post by a425couple
He worked very hard, to make that (being an attraction, and
a good interview) his career & profession.
Re "work": his autobiog described a hospital stay when Stirling was extremely impatient. He commented to an idle, contented chap in the same ward, "It's obvious you have a job and don't work for yourself!"
As an aside: when A.J.Foyt smashed his legs in 1990 (at age 55) and was doing rehab, grunting and sweating for hours, the Houston Oilers football trainer dragged in one of his young 'injured' quarterbacks, pointed at Foyt and said "Don't EVER tell me you hurt too much to play."
Foyt was born on third base, thought he hit a triple, never once
won so much as a single CART race, never had the nerve to
drive Formula 1 (this IS an F1 group), won LeMans in a car
a monkey could have driven, and had the demeanor of a mass
murderer. If anyone's interested in a REAL HERO, check out
the diminutive, displaced Italian immigrant who won everything
in sight and whom the Associated Pressand RACER Magazine
and the named the Driver of the Century.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/drivers/hall-of-fame/Mario_Andretti.html
brafield
Oooh deary ---- we know that Foyt hated Andretti, but where do you get "born on 3rd base"? In truth, Foyt and Andretti had similar backgrounds, rough 'n tough, nonstop hauling to every dirt bullring, etc. Andretti had lousy luck at Indianapolis, no doubt a cause for jealousy, but they both won the Daytona 500.
.
2017-02-06 21:34:22 UTC
Post by brafield
Post by .
Foyt was born on third base, thought he hit a triple, never once
won so much as a single CART race, never had the nerve to
drive Formula 1 (this IS an F1 group), won LeMans in a car
a monkey could have driven, and had the demeanor of a mass
murderer. If anyone's interested in a REAL HERO, check out
the diminutive, displaced Italian immigrant who won everything
in sight and whom the Associated Pressand RACER Magazine
and the named the Driver of the Century.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/drivers/hall-of-fame/Mario_Andretti.html
Oooh deary ---- we know that Foyt hated Andretti, but where do you get "born on 3rd base"? In truth, Foyt and Andretti had similar backgrounds
Can't even get that straight, eh. Reading and understanding the
well known information in the spoonfed link you were graciously
provided would have helped. But you've always been an idiot with
a determined continual intent upon proving it with every risible post.
brafield
2017-02-06 21:49:28 UTC
Post by .
Can't even get that straight, eh. Reading and understanding the
well known information in the spoonfed link you were graciously
provided would have helped. But you've always been an idiot with
a determined continual intent upon proving it with every risible post.
Well at least my writing is deemed risible.
BTW, you dishonour Foyt's partner at Le Mans, Dan Gurney, who is no monkey.
Alan Baker
2017-02-06 22:19:53 UTC
Post by brafield
Post by .
Can't even get that straight, eh. Reading and understanding the
well known information in the spoonfed link you were graciously
provided would have helped. But you've always been an idiot with
a determined continual intent upon proving it with every risible post.
Well at least my writing is deemed risible.
BTW, you dishonour Foyt's partner at Le Mans, Dan Gurney, who is no monkey.
You can't dishonour a good driver by pointing out that he happened to
have a car on that occasion that was a huge advantage.
brafield
2017-02-06 22:29:01 UTC
Post by brafield
Post by .
Can't even get that straight, eh. Reading and understanding the
well known information in the spoonfed link you were graciously
provided would have helped. But you've always been an idiot with
a determined continual intent upon proving it with every risible post.
Well at least my writing is deemed risible.
BTW, you dishonour Foyt's partner at Le Mans, Dan Gurney, who is no monkey.
You can't dishonour a good driver by pointing out that he happened to
have a car on that occasion that was a huge advantage.
dot [.] implied that the Foyt/Gurney win was worthless and should presumably have gone to Scarfiotti and Parkes on the grounds that their Ferrari was not as fast. An odd way to rank results.

Can we know that Scarfiotti/Parkes would as certainly have won if they'd driven the Ford? A pointless argument.
Bigbird
2017-02-06 22:44:24 UTC
Post by brafield
A pointless argument.
...and that, no doubt, is how he came about his ironic nickname.

:)
Alan Baker
2017-02-07 01:44:11 UTC
Post by brafield
Post by Alan Baker
Post by .
Can't even get that straight, eh. Reading and understanding
the well known information in the spoonfed link you were
graciously provided would have helped. But you've always been
an idiot with a determined continual intent upon proving it
with every risible post.
Well at least my writing is deemed risible. BTW, you dishonour
Foyt's partner at Le Mans, Dan Gurney, who is no monkey.
You can't dishonour a good driver by pointing out that he happened
to have a car on that occasion that was a huge advantage.
dot [.] implied that the Foyt/Gurney win was worthless and should
presumably have gone to Scarfiotti and Parkes on the grounds that
their Ferrari was not as fast. An odd way to rank results.
I don't think he implied that at all.

What he outright said was that you couldn't judge FOYT positively based
on that win.
a425couple
2017-02-06 23:55:58 UTC
Post by .
Post by .
Foyt was born on third base, thought he hit a triple, never once
won so much as a single CART race, never had the nerve to
drive Formula 1 (this IS an F1 group), won LeMans in a car
a monkey could have driven,
Interesting that you say that, then properly praise Mario Andretti.
Because in the 1967 Le Mans, Foyt ended up driving the
Ford GT40 Mk IV for 18 hours while Gurney drove about 6.
They won the race, ahead of 2 Ferrari.
Then came Bruce McLaren and Mark Donohue, 29 laps behind Foyt.
While Ronnie Bucknum and Paul Hawkins in their Ford GT40 dnfed.

As did Mario Andretti and Lucien Bianchi in their Ford GT40 Mk IV.
Soooooo, on that day was Mario not a 'proper monkey'?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

Post by .
murderer. If anyone's interested in a REAL HERO, check out
the diminutive, displaced Italian immigrant who won everything
in sight and whom the Associated Pressand RACER Magazine
and the named the Driver of the Century.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/drivers/hall-of-fame/Mario_Andretti.html
Yes, I admire Mario Andretti. Quite the driver, and a WDC.
Sadly in eight tries, he could not win Le Mans (and Foyt won 1st try).
So Mario ran in the Indy 500, about 29 times. He won it once.
While Foyt entered the Indy 500 about 36 times, and won it 4 times.
It seems to me, Both had very good and varied careers.
brafield
2017-02-08 19:35:16 UTC
Post by .
the diminutive, displaced Italian immigrant who won everything
in sight and whom the Associated Pressand RACER Magazine
and the named the Driver of the Century.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/drivers/hall-of-fame/Mario_Andretti.html
I don't recall the full 1978 season details leading to Andretti's world title, but Denis Jenkinson was quite open about the German GP: "Peterson led the race for four laps, until he and Andretti were well clear of the rest of the runners, and then moved over and let Andretti by into the lead in accordance with team orders. How nice to see a team working as a team, instead of the usual selfish individual outlook."

How Nice! Good old DSJ.

Was Peterson or any other driver in with a chance at that 1978 title, if team orders had not been applied?
Halmyre
2017-02-09 07:47:59 UTC
Post by .
the diminutive, displaced Italian immigrant who won everything
in sight and whom the Associated Pressand RACER Magazine
and the named the Driver of the Century.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/drivers/hall-of-fame/Mario_Andretti.html
I don't recall the full 1978 season details leading to Andretti's world title, but Denis Jenkinson was quite open about the German GP: "Peterson led the race for four laps, until he and Andretti were well clear of the rest of the runners, and then moved over and let Andretti by into the lead in accordance with team orders. How nice to see a team working as a team, instead of the usual selfish individual outlook."
How Nice! Good old DSJ.
Was Peterson or any other driver in with a chance at that 1978 title, if team orders had not been applied?
Unless his car broke, Ronnie was finishing well in the points. Mario's last three races were 6th/Ret/10th. If he hadn't been killed at Monza, Ronnie might have picked up the 14 points needed to overtake Mario.

Third place was Reutemann, finishing 14 points adrift, and his final three were 3rd/1st/3rd, so he was never going to catch up, although with results like that he might have scuppered Peterson's chances.

All those unlesses, ifs, mights...
brafield
2017-02-09 15:55:27 UTC
Post by Halmyre
All those unlesses, ifs, mights...
"If ifs and ans were pots and pans, we'd have no need of tinkers". Thus my ma and pa in the old days!

It took me years to realize that "ans" were ifs: "An I find him I shall tell him".
a425couple
2017-02-09 16:18:19 UTC
Post by .
the diminutive, displaced Italian immigrant who won everything
in sight and whom the Associated Pressand RACER Magazine
and the named the Driver of the Century.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/drivers/hall-of-fame/Mario_Andretti.html
-I don't recall the full 1978 season details leading to Andretti's world
title,
- but Denis Jenkinson was quite open about the German GP: "Peterson
- led the race for four laps, until he and Andretti were well clear of the
-rest of the runners, and then moved over and let Andretti by into the lead
-in accordance with team orders. How nice to see a team working as a
-team, instead of the usual selfish individual outlook."
- How Nice! Good old DSJ.

- Was Peterson or any other driver in with a chance at that 1978 title,
- if team orders had not been applied?

IMHO, No one else really had much of a chance.
Of the 16 races, Mario earned 8 poles (including that race in
Germany where it turned out Peterson dnfed).
Mario had 6 wins, and only had 4 retirements.
Ronnie Peterson had 2 wins, 3 poles, and 5 dnfs
(and then, after his death, the 2 no starts.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_Formula_One_season